Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Alternatives to On One Codeine
  • gumstabber
    Free Member

Give me a simple list of alternatives to an On One Codeine.

29er, slack, no less than 140mm travel, compact frame, agile.

If you can get it to the same price level then well done.

DeeW
    Free Member

Codeine’s only got 130mm travel (but feels like more).

Canyon Spectral 29 looks good if you’re after a full bike

Northwind

Five 29er and Trek Remedy 29 are pretty amazing bikes. But far more expensive. Meta 29 was a well priced option earlier this year, don’t know if that’s still true?

I’ve have got a Cube Stereo 29 but it’s a wee bit steeper than I like and the ones I was looking at can’t take an angleset.

mrhoppy

Banshee prime, Thumper, covert 29?

gumstabber
    Free Member

codeine is 140mm front and 130mm rear but the cane creek DB was an amazing shock.

mrhoppy those are quite alternative suggestions.

Northwind

Covert 29 definitely makes sense- but never cheap. Though Freeborn had some brand new ones for £900 a while back. Watch the sizing, they’re basically one size undersized. Prime I loved the look of but it’s a pretty damn heavy frame and IIRC something like 68 degree head angle?

Dark-Side

What size are you after? Probikeshop have a medium Orange Five29/Alpine 5 frame for £1065 with an upgraded Fox RP23 Factory shock. As Northwind said, an amazing bike. I love mine.

weeksy

Commencal AM 29er is by FARRRRRRRRR the best.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

There are some good deals going on this years Remedy 29ers.

mrhoppy

Well the Thumper had similar geometry from memory and was a similar price for the frame, I found covert 29 frames for £900 ish when I was looking and it had ok geometry from memory with the right kind of travel. Every what bike list on STW needs a banshee at the moment (it’s the law) and the phantom is too short travel. Didn’t seem worth mentioning the ones already listed.

I bought a codeine though.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Been through this because the codeines too small for me :(. How about the Spesh Enduro Comp 29?

The problem with the commencal AM 29ers is that they can’t be that good! Otherwise why would they stop doing them?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

BMC Trailfox? 29er, 150mm travel?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Enduro 29 if the budget would allow for it.

It was a monster.

swanny853

Meta am 29 was what I went fbased on the same question. Cheap frame from commencal was one of the deciding factors! Rock solid and probably as agile as you’re going to get from a longer travel 29er with a kilo of tyre at each end. Perhaps a touch heavy but mine certainly isn’t built light.

I did look at the remedy and got as far as spinning round the lbs, but it was a bit pricey for a spec wasn’t entirely sure of.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Thumper is a nice frame at a bargain price and very capable with a 150mm Pike.

I won’t write a load of guff on the offchance that you’re interested, but feel free to email me if you want chapter and verse.

Flapjack
    Free Member

I’d definetly recommend the Covert 29. I bought one earlier this year and absolutely love it. Stunning looking bike, very assured on the downs and capable on the ups, but as Northwind says – watch the sizing as they are very short in the TT. Unlikely to find a new one now though sadly, due to being discontinued – had to buy mine off the dreaded eBay in the end!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    stufield
    Free Member

Its not how big the number but what you can do with it – Kona Process 111 definitely the best 29 for UK / Lakes riding

Northwind

@CFH- out of stock, that

nuke

Id have thought Stumpy Evo 29er was a closer alternative to the Codeine than the Enduro

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

@CFH- out of stock, that

Bum. Was there last time I was in, must have sold the last one!

craiig
    Free Member

I’ve just been checking out the thumper. Geometry looks spot on with the cost of frame & choice of rear suspension for £670 ish. The guy who is selling them is also offering pikes with the frame as a bit of a combo deal. Frame and forks for £1100. That’s a good starting block.

Northwind

I don’t think I’d touch a Thumper- they claim to have permission to use the Kona front triangle, directly from Kona. So I asked Kona and they say categorically that they don’t do that, with Switchback or with anyone else. If that’s right, then would you trust them with warranty or anything else?

Course, it could be that Kona just got this wrong and it’s all legit. But balance of probabilities goes the other way really. Especially considering the blustery way Switchback deal with any questions about it- it’s all “a lot of misinformation put out there by uninformed/uneducated people about the process of frame manufacturing.” apparently.

So, yeah. Make up your own mind I suppose. It looks a decent bike otherwise.

swanny853

If I’d seen that enduro back in March I think I would have got over my irrational dislike of specialized bikes and gone for that!

tomaso
    Free Member

I thought the Codeine too short in the reach/ top tube. The chain stays are not as short as they make out. And I need more gears tos winch up steep big stuff.

Enduro 29 won out. Its been great so far. It is fantrastic at really technical stuff along hip and down. Its not too much of a chore on the flat. However I do need to get more physical with it to make it turn on fast stuff.

Oh and the wheels are pants.oor bearings and hubs and the rims are made of cheese tensioned with spaghetti spokes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to On One Codeine’ is closed to new replies.