Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alternatives to Morzine and the rest of Les Portes du Soleil.
  • Ambrose

I adore the riding around Les Portes du Soleil- the Morzine/Les Gets/Avoriaz etc area. The sheer variety of top class riding is great for all day XC rides, the reason that we as a family have been going out there for a few years now. And I’m definately NOT bored with it…

…but…

…is there anywhere else with similar sorts of riding? Mechanical uplifts, varied long and short XC days, nice descents and trails but not DH. Preferably needs to be in France too. Any ideas?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Obvious answer is the Tarentaise area – Sainte Foy, Les Arcs, Tignes, etc. We’re based there (other bike holiday companies do exist :wink:) – The White Room – French Alps MTB Holidays

JB405
    Free Member

Try Chamonix!

It gets a bit more rooty and rocky compared to the Portes resorts, but get in with a guide and there is some amazing riding to be had there.

endlessride
    Free Member

We head to Chamonix when the PDS lifts close in September – the lifts in Chamonix stay open another week and the trails are really quiet then. In July and August you really need a guide to keep you away from all the walkers! We went off to Alp d’Huez in July last year. We went to have a look at the Mega Avalanche, we’re definitely not DH’ers but loved the riding there. http://www.flickr.com/photos/endlessride/sets/72157606077410089/

Ambrose

looking at le Clusaz at the moment- any information anyone?

andywhit
    Free Member

Personally thought Morzine was poor (probably cause it was summer ’07 and it p*ssed it down every day == mudfest).

I much prefer places which are high above a valley e.g. Les Arcs, Verbier, drain much better and the amount of vertical descent down to valley floor is amazing. Just my opinion but I won’t be heading back to Morzine/Les Gets.

twohats
    Free Member

Another vote for Chamonix here. Lots of varied riding to be had, some of it much more technical and rockier than Morzine PDS, with the bonus that if the weather is wet, mud isn’t a problem.
    Pila in Italy, just through the tunnel on the other side of Mount Blanc, is well worth a visit if you are staying in Chamonix, although its much more DH orientated.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Verbier

Not quite as good as Morzine/Les gets IMO for full-on unguided stuff, but a nice town and some really good views. Bit pricey but that’s probably the case for Framce too these days.

slowmedown
    Free Member

Did a bit of a road trip last year, rode at Les Orres, Montgenevre, les 2 Alpes, Alpe D’Huez and Les 7 Laux (secteur Pipay) over a couple of weeks, all excellent, but after a day I was ready to move on from Montgenevre, but it was a good day. I was with the family, in a campervan, highly recommended.

I rode for 1-3 days at each resort, then had some family time on the days between, did some awesome walking with the kids, including a 9 hr walk to the top of Le Grand Glaiza 3300m … not bad for 8 and 10 yr olds!

jazzpootle
    Free Member

Must recommend Trailaddiction in Les Arcs. Pretty reasonable and excellent guiding at whatever level you want. I’ve been twice and took my wife last year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Morzine and the rest of Les Portes du Soleil.’ is closed to new replies.