Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Alternatives to lycra tights for work commute?
  • jonba
    Free Member

Suppose it depends where you live? Short in Newcastle in mid winter is just daft.

I have some altura trousers, don’t get them they are like something MC hammer would wear.

I’d go try some on, the cut on some is daft and a bit of a pain in the wind. If it is going to be wet or it is really windy then I wear tights because it is just easier.

3/4 will see you through spring an autumn but you can look a bit yoof off the bike.

Ronhills are cheap and some sort of halfway house. Not stylish though. I’ve not found the cut on most non cycling trousers to work. They ride up and flap too much. Some outdoor brands might work.

I’ve found light synthetic stuff to be better if you get caught in a shower. more chance if it drying by the end of the day. Also black to hide any oil marks and spray from the road unless you are going to buy several sets.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I wear baggies 90% of the time in London.

I’ve got some Union 34 cycling trousers they were selling off cheap, but not been very good. Not stretchy enough.

a lot of slim-fit jeans these days have a bit of lycra in them, which i hated the idea of, until i bought a pair anyway and found them to be extremely comfortable to cycle in!

I’ve found the same. The H&M ones are pretty cheap too. on “dress down fridays” i usually just cycle slowly wearing jeans, with a pannier instead of rucksack. Don’t bother getting changed. Quicker than cycling fast and showering/changing etc.

Smart trousers would just wear out too quick IMO due to thinner fabric.

ddmonkey

Hairy legs unless its below 5 Deg – then tights or waterproof trousers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

I have nothing to add bar simply asking what is so time consuming about putting on Lycra?

It’s not so much the time, but the perceived effort. You’ve got to pull it on, peel it off, and if it’s still damp come home time you’re gonna feel it. But you do this, after putting on all your appropriate baselayers, your padded shorts, dig you helmet out, your buff, your gloves, your cycling socks, your cycling shoes…then you put your shorts on anyway because lycra has no pockets/ Lycra is really not that practical for going about your daily business. The few seconds you save from wind resistance is neither here nor there on your way to work. It’s a chore. Every so often I’ll go out and ride in jeans and hoody, and what a breath of fresh air it is. No less practical for short rides either.

I just don’t see the why we have this blind insistence that we should never wear trousers. Like this:

What’s wrong with shorts?

If it’s <15c keep your knees covered [longshorts].

What you’re describing, are trousers! They’re the most practical tool for the job.

I just don’t understand why they don’t exist.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I see what you’re driving at, but I just don’t like having anything below the kneecap because it always gets covered in oil and assorted smegs, or caught in the chain.

Here it’s shorts, or 3/4’s, 24/7/365.

Maybe I’m, just odd?

EDIT – with mudguards, if I ride on a wet road/trail, the last 30cm of my legs get wet. With shorts, I just wipe my legs down, stick my work shoes on, and carry on. If my trousers were wet I’d be pissed/cold all day.

I don’t change, I just leave a pair of smart shoes at work [when I work away from home, unlike now].

🙂

EDIT EDIT: Why not wear synthetic walking trousers? Stretch or otherwise:

eg:
    http://www.millets.co.uk/mens/113739-peter-storm-mens-stretch-walking-trousers.html

lemonysam
    Free Member

I just don’t understand why they don’t exist.

They do, just tuck them into your socks…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to lycra tights for work commute?’ is closed to new replies.