Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Alternatives to lycra tights for work commute?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Hi
    been thinking about it for a while and now I am doing something about it. Fed up of wearing lycra for work. 1 they take ages to put on and take off an 2 they ain’t the most appealing things to wear walking into a car factory’s changing rooms.

I would like some kind of tapered trouser possibly waterproof and can stand some wear & tear.

woody2000

marks and Spencer do some “cycling” trousers that sound like what you’re after
    http://bit.ly/1FiJLSC

Aquaprofile

I wear ronhill tracksters over lycra shorts

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1 they take ages to put on and take off

In true STW style I suggest a skills course 😉

Just chuck some light baggies over the top if you want to be more modest.

thomthumb
    Free Member

nice.

butcher

I fully get what the OP is saying. I don’t see why we have a choice of lycra, baggies, or ultra smart M&S commuter gear. What’s wrong with just a pair of simple quick drying trousers with a design that doesn’t get caught in the drivetrain.

Why does the cycling world insist we must wear lycra? Even for my evening and weekend rides, it feels like a chore sometimes, all the things we’re told we must wear. Teenage girls get ready faster than me. What’s wrong with throwing on a pair or trousers and a t-shirt? Preferably ones that cost less than £80…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Teenage girls get ready faster than me. What’s wrong with throwing on a pair or trousers and a t-shirt? Preferably ones that cost less than £80…

Nothing but I’m wondering whats going on that means it takes you that long to don some lycra, I’m generally baggies all the way on the MTB but on the road lycra is fine.

jacob46
    Free Member

Lycra is a pain in the rear for work.

I mite order these and see how they look & fit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/endura-singletrack-ii-trousers/rp-prod85240

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

ultra smart M&S commuter gear

Not sure if you saw the picture above?

scotroutes

How long does it take some people to pull on lycra tights?

FWIW, Endura Singletrack trousers are adjustable at the ankle to avoid drivetrain issues – as are various lightweight, water-resistant “outdoor” trousers like Montane Terras. They even have a reinforced arse so will take a bit of wear.

Edit: the OP was posting as I was typing. Yes, the Singletracks look OK. Might be a bit warm for summer wear though. Mine are mostly restricted to winter duties or for rides when I’ll be hanging around a bit.

benp1

Keela make something suitable, roadrunner maybe?

I’ve come close to buying a pair a few times

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Craghoppers kiwi stretch trousers. Grey, black or blue, smart enough and semi technical. Other walking trousers like montane etc are good too but the kiwi are pretty cheap.
    http://www.milletsports.co.uk/more-sports/outdoor/clothing/mens/trousers/craghoppers-kiwi-pro-stretch-active-mens-trousers-long/?utm_source=googleshopping&s=384931&gclid=CjwKEAjwru6oBRDDp4jRj4bL_xASJADJ2obylGwAN1I_McB1RiMqWTXbHLVKmTQX38YARBHlf1U3zhoCGxjw_wcB

jacob46
    Free Member

I’ve tried the grasshopper kiwi in the past. I’m 6ft 4 and need a 34 inch leg. Kiwi ride too high for me and are not long enough.

scotroutes

The Terras come in a couple of leg lengths. North Face are quite long

doris5000

a lot of slim-fit jeans these days have a bit of lycra in them, which i hated the idea of, until i bought a pair anyway and found them to be extremely comfortable to cycle in!

i do my 5 mile commute in something like these and they’re great – http://www.levi.co.uk/GB/en_GB/mens-jeans/p/045111294

– bit pricey but i’m sure there will be some decent cheaper options!

chipster

I got some Keela roadrunners after seeing recommendations on here.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/warm-but-not-bulky-cycling-clothes-no-lycra
    A nice, reasonably priced bit of kit.

tillydog
    Free Member

Maybe…?

1-shed
    Free Member

Recent convert, one pair of sprayway waterproof kecks and a pair of Levi commuter kecks from the outlet store £8 for the win. Love em

edhornby

I have a pair of the endura trousers, they are too flappy on the drive side

the only trouser that avoids oil-on-leg is the one that’s rolled up away from the chain – yes it makes you look like a hipster but it’s the only thing that works

when it’s really bloody cold, bibs are the thing, if you really don’t want the shame then put shorts over

1-shed
    Free Member

Thinking about it I think the bike and pedals affect what you want to wear. I.e. steel cross bike with flats = trousers and shell toes, single speed and SPD = disco slippers and a bit of Lycra. Mash it up and get down with the kids.

CraigW
    Free Member

Swrve have some nice trousers or 3/4 length shorts. Various softshell fabrics, which is fairly water resistant. Fairly slim fit. http://swrve.co.uk/

swamptin
    Free Member

I wear 3/4 length shorts any time I swing my leg over a bike. Lycra… I’m nowhere near fast enough and I’d probably look like I was smuggling squirrels from behind. Any pair of jeans/trousers I’ve worn… no matter how tight they seem at the ankle get oil.
    [Edit]Current pair are Endura. A 3/4 length version of the singletrack-ii trousers above. [/edit]

scotroutes

That’s odd. The Endura Singletracks I wear have little velcro tabs at the ankle so you can cinch them in.

therag
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

Jeans

StirlingCrispin

Endura multi-tights are good for this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-multi-tight/rp-prod9295

That said I now commute in my works M&S trousers with a pair of Endura waterproof trousers over the top and Respro reflective legbands to keep everything out of the chain.

lunge

I have nothing to add bar simply asking what is so time consuming about putting on Lycra? I commute in Lycra (right tool for the job IMO) and am out the door 15 min s after my alarm and that includes time to make an espresso.
    I aslo walk though a busy, major train station in said attire and have long since given up worrying about what a fool I look.

g5604
    Free Member

Shower pass and howies

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What’s wrong with shorts?

If it’s <15c keep your knees covered [longshorts].

chrishc777
    Free Member

501s here. I can live with the permanent oil stain on the inside of the right leg

scruff
    Free Member

Altura do some, like a cheaper Endura.

If your getting oil on the legs you need to wipe down a bit more…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Surely there’s an easy answer to the chainring problem:

prezet
    Free Member

Why not just a pair of MTB baggies? On the colder months just put your full length lycra on underneath.

fingerbang
    Free Member

cheapo regatta walking trousers: they’ve lost their water repellency but are quick dry. They flap into the drive side but no need for a clip as real men stay in the big ring the whole way 🙂

lycra tights with nothing one them just antagonise drivers even more

with summer on its way its time for MTB baggies with pale ginger hairy legs for the lady drivers to gawk at

mogrim

Normal trousers and clips, far easier. Unless it’s a particularly long commute I don’t understand why you’d need anything else.

toby1

I don’t understand why you’d need anything else.

Sweat …

I sweat even on a short commute, especially when I come across someone as quick as the guy on the Felt this morning, come on which one of you was it?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

these

perfect for spring and autumn, or the coldest winter with tights underneath .
    might be a bit warm for summer though…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So shorts and 3/4’s are out, are they?

renton
    Free Member

What’s wrong with shorts in all weather ??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to lycra tights for work commute?’ is closed to new replies.