Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Alternatives to itunes
  • thered

Gone to Android, never really liked Itunes anyway.

What is a good alternative, don’t mind paying a bit for it <£50.

matt_outandabout

Google Play Music?

CountZero

For streaming, or playing actual music you own?

duncancallum

Spotify premium

allthegear
    Free Member

Just use iTunes? It’s available for Android now.

Rachel

footflaps

I use Spotify and stream stuff even if I own the CDs, just simpler….

Plus it works with Sonus directly

CountZero

I refuse to use any streaming service on ethical grounds. The amount artists get paid is immoral, 1.2million streams earns less than a minimum monthly wage; way to make a living, huh?

Jamie
    Free Member

1 million streams seems to pay roughly $3800 to $7500 on Spotify.

Sauce

hodgynd
    Free Member

Another for Spotify Premium here ..family membership for £15.00 per month.
    Ethics notwithstanding ..thats the way of the world these days ..and this kind of service cost me the best job I ever had within the industry ..

thered

Playing music that I own.

Caher

Whaale and media monkey.

jam-bo

Winamp…

Jamie
    Free Member

…It really whips the llama’s ass.

shermer75
    Free Member

Also interested in this. Yet to find an app that lets you buy and play music and doesn’t somehow **** it all up (looking at you, iTunes)

matt_outandabout

Playing music that I own

Bought on CD, bought from iTunes? Not all are compatible / DRM issues I thought…

shermer75
    Free Member

So how did the buy-store-play pathway manage to get to be about as much fun as roadside dentistry? Surely it doesn’t have to be this complicated?!?!

DezB
    Free Member

and doesn’t somehow **** it all up (looking at you, iTunes)
    10s of thousands of tracks in iTunes, never had a problem. Don’t buy off iTunes store very often, but all cool when I have.

Not sure what OP is after – with Android you just copy your music across don’t you? Explorer to the Music folder an that. Why an app needed?

Bought on CD, bought from iTunes? Not all are compatible / DRM issues I thought..
    Thing of the past.

oikeith

Has anyone used the android apple music app? If so, can you create playlists on your computer before syncing across? do smart playlists still work? ie most played songs this week, recently added.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I refuse to use any streaming service on ethical grounds. The amount artists get paid is immoral, 1.2million streams earns less than a minimum monthly wage; way to make a living, huh?

A good point, but before everyone blames the streaming companies, how much do record companies make? Spotify also pays (over?) 80% of their revenue to artists, and still lose hundred of millions each year. Also how much does an artist get from a play on a radio 1 breakfast show, that’s about a million listeners?

What about Amazon? They have a steaming and a purchase/download model – not sure if they’ve combined them yet or indeed if any good.

Edit: Music labels are coining it in again

Music streaming hailed as industry’s saviour as labels enjoy profit surge

eckinspain
    Free Member

hire a busker

DezB
    Free Member

What about Amazon? They have a st[r]eaming and a purchase/download model – not sure if they’ve combined them yet or indeed if any good.

Edit: Music labels are coining it in again

There are other alternative places to buy music from.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I refuse to use any streaming service on ethical grounds. The amount artists get paid is immoral, 1.2million streams earns less than a minimum monthly wage; way to make a living, huh

Let’s ignore the fact that streaming services literally open the world up to small, non-mainstream bands and artists giving them exposure [and earning them money] that they very probably would not have otherwise received.

shermer75
    Free Member

10s of thousands of tracks in iTunes, never had a problem. Don’t buy off iTunes store very often, but all cool when I have.

Weird, with mine it has swapped album covers around or replaced them completely with some shitty photo, deleted track and album names (I now have an ‘unkown album’ with about 500 numbered but no longer named tracks in it) and arbitrarily deleted albums from my device admittedly only the music part but hey, who needs that, right?) so if I want to play it I have to have an internet connection and either download it again (and again, and again) or stream it. All at the cost of my own data package, of course. What a shit hot solution! Wahey!!!

DezB
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound like iTunes fault, if you don’t mind me saying 😉

I do (re)tag everything carefully before it goes into my library with mp3Tag.

shermer75
    Free Member

That doesn’t sound like iTunes fault, if you don’t mind me saying 

No not at all, it’s probably me going in there and doing all that stuff myself just to annoy myself because, yeah, that makes sense.

lucky7500

Buy your music as a download / cd / vinyl / cassette / whatever then stream from Spotify when you want to listen to it. As well as saving a lot of hassle copying across different formats, the artist gets paid for the purchase and for each subsequent listen if you worry about that side of things.

footflaps

Don’t let facts get in the way of your argument….

In 2016, the global recorded music market grew by 5.9%, the fastest rate of growth since IFPI began tracking the market in 1997. This was a second consecutive year of global growth for the industry with revenue increasing in the vast majority of markets, including nine of the top ten. This growth, however, should be viewed in the context of the industry losing nearly 40% of its revenues in the preceding 15 years.

Streaming has been the clear driver of this growth, with revenues surging by 60.4%. With more than 100 million users of paid subscriptions globally, streaming has passed a crucial milestone. It makes up the majority of digital revenue, which, in turn, now accounts for 50% of total recorded music revenues.

http://www.ifpi.org/facts-and-stats.php

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t stream cos I just don’t like the apps. Don’t need something suggesting what I should listen to because I like to listen to as many different styles as I can, not some algorythm basing what I should listen to based on other stuff I’ve heard… Sounds atrocious!
    Anyway, I still don’t get what the OP was after! I don’t think it was Splotify…

the-muffin-man

A single album sale is a one-time payment though, and they might get a quid from a CD. They may sell a decent number on initial release then sales usually taper off.

Spotify is on-going – a micro payment every time a song is played. Like royalties but paid directly by the consumer, not just TV and radio stations.

Don’t need something suggesting what I should listen to because I like to listen to as many different styles as I can, not some algorythm basing what I should listen to based on other stuff I’ve heard…

…or you could just not use those features and create your own playlists.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Don’t let facts get in the way of your argument….

In 2016, the global recorded music market grew by 5.9%, the fastest rate of growth since IFPI began tracking the market in 1997. This was a second consecutive year of global growth for the industry with revenue increasing in the vast majority of markets, including nine of the top ten. This growth, however, should be viewed in the context of the industry losing nearly 40% of its revenues in the preceding 15 years.
    Streaming has been the clear driver of this growth, with revenues surging by 60.4%. With more than 100 million users of paid subscriptions globally, streaming has passed a crucial milestone. It makes up the majority of digital revenue, which, in turn, now accounts for 50% of total recorded music revenues.
    http://www.ifpi.org/facts-and-stats.php

But this is about the amount being spent on music, not the amount going back into the pockets of the artists, which was the original argument. There may not be a direct correlation between the two.

deadkenny
    Free Member

footflaps – Member 
    I use Spotify and stream stuff even if I own the CDs, just simpler….

A lot of albums I own have tracks missing on Spotify due to rights issues, plus I’m not paying for Spotify premium to play the music I already own. For free, the ads are annoying for decent listening. Though I don’t mind using Spotify as effectively a radio. Random tracks in genres I like and stuff I’ve not heard of.

thered – Member 

Microsoft Groove and a OneDrive account.

Dump all your music into OneDrive. Play anywhere with Groove. Job done.

Better still if you have an Office 365 sub and get that 1TB of storage included.

Gunz
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/27/moby-compares-thom-yorke-old-guy

Akers

thered – Member

Plex. You can run the server on a PC, MAC, NAS or even a Pi. Client apps are available for almost every device you can think of – iPhone, Android, Amazon Fire, even Sonos. Supports all media types too, including FLAC

DezB
    Free Member

..or you could just not use those features and create your own playlists.

How would I hear new stuff? Nah, no point trying to suggest Spotify could work for me cos it doesn’t, I’ve tried it on a 3 month trial. Only use I got was to listen to stuff I’d read reviews of, and usually they sounded nothing like was described.

Microsoft Groove and a OneDrive account.
    Dump all your music into OneDrive.

Subscribe and pay forever, or lose access to your music?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still Spotify for me just try it.

I refuse to use any streaming service on ethical grounds. The amount artists get paid is immoral, 1.2million streams earns less than a minimum monthly wage; way to make a living, huh

Old days, want to listen to a track buy the album.
    Next step buy the song.
    Current listen to it all and pay the artist for it all, many artists that I would never have paid for their album or track have got paid due to Spotify, they are on a playlist, I’ll never search them out, never look for them or remember them but they got played.
    The industry isn’t black and white for payments.

Subscribe and pay forever, or lose access to your music?

Streaming costs me less than 10 albums per year . That seems a good rate for me even for the next 30 years. I don’t see how I own music these days.

zilog6128

^^^ that minimum wage thing is #fakenews anyway. It’s only YouTube that pays a pittance, and that’s only considered a “streaming service” by skint teenagers who aren’t going to spend money on music anyway. The “proper” services, Spotify, apple, etc pay a decent amount.

As also mentioned, it’s often the record companies who are the real crooks by refusing to re-negotiate contracts that were drawn up way before streaming became a thing. Hence bands like Def Leppard, etc, refuse to allow their original recordings on streaming sites.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to itunes’ is closed to new replies.