Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alternatives to Fox Fork Oil
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I was planning on servicing my forks tomorrow (Fox Float 140 RL 08) and on checking the shed I have a distinct lack of oil 😳

I know that I need 10wt oil for them and on Loco’s site he lists Motul oil so I’m guessing that thats a suitable replacement for the Fox stuff. Is any motorcycle fork oil ok to use providing its 10wt and does it matter if its synthetic or mineral? Whats hot to trot?

Advice much appreciated, by me and my (gunky) forks.

Cheers all 🙂

Sum
    Free Member

Fox racing suspension fluid is re-badged Torco RSFwhich you may find in your local motor factors. Mine sells Silkolene instead (which is currently re-badged by Marzocchi) so I use that instead. Failing that I’ve used other fork oils at a pinch.

stayhigh

Sorry if this seems an obvious question but by motor factor do you mean spare parts place? I’m a non driver you see 😉

Failing that I’ll check Halfords for Silkolene as one of them is quite close to me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

I don’t think Halfords sell Silkolene oils unfortunately. Could be wrong, but I’ve looked for Silkolene (or Fuchs, as they’re now called) motor oil in there a couple of times and they definitely don’t have that.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Halfords generally have 10wt stuff in stock for bikes, I used that as I had it for my MX bike

Mugboo

Loco advised and sold me motul 7.5

10wt if your over 14st I think.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Surely Rock Oil’s an option? CRC have a lot of weights in stock.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Herman – OP wants options for servicing TOMORROW

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You’ll need some of the thicker stuff for soaking the foam rings too?

stayhigh

Hmmm I’m 13st so do I go 7.5 or 10?

I think I’ll head to Halfords in the morning and go with the MX fork oil.

HermanShake
    Free Member

😳

I still think Rock Oil’s an option despite my obviously poor sourcing options. Mrs Shake used to work in a motorbike parts place which did the full range. A motorbike place/comprehensive garage will have the stuff.

Mugboo

Halfords had a very little choice last time I went. It was 10w or nowt.

stayhigh

Theres a small motorbike place and a scooter yard near by so I’ll add them to my list for the morning. I’ll have to go that way to get to Halfords so makes sense 😉

As a thought how much difference is 3wt going to make?

stayhigh

Well nowhere local to me has any of the above suggestions so that leaves me with Halfords own or Castrol?

Sum
    Free Member

I’d imagine either one will do. If you’re replacing the float fluid in the positive air chamber as well then you’re supposed to use 80wt fully synthetic gear oil

stayhigh

I’d thought as much. I already have some Float Fluid it was just the oil I was lacking.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Fox Fork Oil’ is closed to new replies.