Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alternatives to ESI Extra Chunky
  • Gotama
    Free Member

I love these grips as they fit my hands well but I’m getting bored of them lasting a short while before they start twisting on the bars towards the end, particularly noticeable when trying to lift the front end of the bike which is pretty off putting. They’re mounted with an air compressor so nothing in there to contaminate. I thought about whether to try mounting them with hairspray but can’t see that lasting.

I bought some Ergon GE1 grips but they just feel too small and I end up with blisters at the base of my ring finger. I noticed Kyle Strait rolls a grip over the original lock on grip. Tempted to try that but don’t know what grip to roll over.

Any other options people are using? Ideally I don’t want a clamp on the end of the bars as I like to run my hands at the edge.

oliverracing

Mount with hairspray – lasts well over a year for me, the current set are starting to get a bit thin yet are still well stuck. Not sure if bar material makes a difference, but my bars are Ti

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s odd. I’ve run them for some years now (mount with meths) and never had them rotate (even when really wet). They seem to move very slowly but not so you’d notice when riding.

Lock On’s if you really don’t want something to move.

Gotama
    Free Member

Hmm, will delve into my wife’s hairspray and have a go with that. I did wonder if mounting them with the air compressor is stretching them ever so slightly.

Andy

I fit mine by sliding them on with 3 zip ties evenly spaced, running the length of the grip. Once they have slid down the bar (using the zip ties to slide on) I pull the zip ties out.

cokie

I use hairspray too and never had them twist.
    I have found that don’t last long in summer though. The thorns just rip them to shreds and after a few months they need to be binned as I can feel the bars through the sections where bits are ripped off.

Same applies to a few offs- I’ve found that I’ve written a set off when I had a light crash on a rocky trail. It’s just tore an inch into the end.

timbur
    Free Member

A splash of single malt whisky here and plenty of body english. Not had them slip yet.

It started as a “make do” when reading the instructions and noting alchole was recommended. I had a bottle of Glen Moray which I can’t stand and a few minitures of Glenfidich which is also boring so it became a bit of a “thing.”

All Jones demo bikes have been anointed :O)

unovolo
    Free Member

I fit mine by sliding them on with 3 zip ties evenly spaced, running the length of the grip. Once they have slid down the bar (using the zip ties to slide on) I pull the zip ties out.

Same here and have never had a problem with them rotating.

everyone
    Free Member

Mount mine with window cleaner, let them set overnight. Never had any issues, do agree that the can be a little fragile if you have a habit of aggressive sit downs.

Duc
    Free Member

Never had any issues using windowlene to mount them. hair spray to get them off then clean up with contact cleaner and windowlene to re fit.

UKBiking
    Free Member

Duc – Member
    hair spray to get them off…

On the outside, to make it gripper to handle I assume?

timbur
    Free Member

U.K. Biker- nope, slide something long and flat under the grip and lift it off the bar enough to spray hair spray inside. Work the grip from side to side and it should loosen easily enough.

sharkattack

Three pairs of ODI longnecks here. Mounted with brake cleaner. Rock solid in all weather. Big and plush enough to stop the crippling finger pain I used to suffer from with thin lock-ons.

Duc
    Free Member

Sorry missed the post – hairspray on the inside to make em slip

Duc
    Free Member

Half way through typing and got distracted – hairspray to ease them off becuase if you want to refit them it washes off easily, then contact/brake cleaner the bars to get them grease free then windowlene and swear until they’re back on

mattyfez

I recently replaced my ESI with Santa Cruz Palmdales, really like them, super grippy nice feeling rubber and only a locking collar on the inside, the outer end is tapered so they wedge on.

Would reccomend. http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/products/santa-cruz-palmdale-review

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to ESI Extra Chunky’ is closed to new replies.