Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Alternatives to conty barons
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Evening all. Can anyone suggest an alternative to the baron. It’s the black chili apex version that I’m looking at.
    Cheers

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Specialized Butcher, Hans Dampf, Minion DHF?

honourablegeorge

Magic Mary. Brilliant tyre.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m after a sturdy sidewall with sticky rubber which doesn’t weigh the earth as I want to peddle up hill too. The barons seemed to fit the bill at 800g but I was just wondering what was a similar alternative. I guess I’m after something between a normal trail tyre and a dh tyre. Cheers

honourablegeorge

Magic Mary is 795g for trailstar.

https://www.bike-components.de/de/Schwalbe/Magic-Mary-Evolution-SnakeSkin-TrailStar-Faltreifen-Modell-2015-p40038/

Sup[er Gravity adds 200g or so for DH-y sidewalls

They go up tubeless properly too, unlike Contis

warpcow
    Free Member

Hated HDs. Quite like Minions. Love Barons. MMs might be a worthy successor, but I think I may try a Maxxis Shorty next.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just go with the Baron, they’re brilliant and for me no hindrance in climbing.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I do keep coming back to them fudge, mainly for the weight saving over the alternatives mentioned.

Northwind

No competitor for the Baron IMO. Not to say it’s the best tyre ever, it’s just that nothing else does that job. The Magic Mary is much more a mud tyre, and quite a lot less good in the dry, on wet rock etc. Not bad but much more specific.

I’m going to try a shorty now but I’m expecting it to also be more of a “mud tyre” rather than a “wet tyre”. We’ll see I guess.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

How are the barons in the dry northwind?

br
    Free Member

It’s never dry around here 🙂

But tbh, why waste an expensive tyre in the wrong conditions – just swap it (that day).

batman11
    Free Member

Maxis shorty!
    Just fitted a set and trying tomorrow recon most of my local trails will be frozen so not sure I’ll be able to give a comparison as I ride barons too. But will try when I’m back ok.
    Bats.

Northwind

nsbikescore1 – Member

No more than alright… Sort of comparable to something like a 60a minion, maybe? Less cornery but that sort of ballpark, outshone by an actual dry tyre. But if you’re considering the competition, ie stuff that works well in mud, then they work better than anything like that I’ve tried. So for stuff like enduro stages that can go from a dry trailcentre into a rut in a swamp, very good. But for riding around in summer? Not so good.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind. I’m wanting to put them on my mega for riding in portugal and saalbach this year. I would have used my stick-e dual ply minions but they are too heavy for pedalling. So I’m wanting something as tough and grippy as the minions without the weight and that’ll be decent in most conditions because who knows what the weather will bring abroad!

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I guess specialized clutch sx would be another alternative although they seem hard to get hold of

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just got some High Roller IIs (dual EXO TR) and used them in the Surrey Hills yesterday: Excellent tyre and good in most conditions

mikey74
    Free Member

Clutch sx are too heavy: more of a DH tyre at around 950g each. They are good, although people tell me the Butcher is better.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I have a butcher on my trail bike. They are good but I’m wanting something with a stickier compound and thicker sidewalls for riding abroad

fudge9202
    Free Member

b r that’s exactly what I do I normally run rubber queen /mkII but throw a spare front wheel in boot to change onto the Baron if conditions are sketchy when I arrive at trails.

SOAP
    Free Member

Anyone know if the “Newish” Minion DHF 2.3 is the correct size?
    Harder compound on the rear with the 3c on the front would be a good choice.

ajt123
    Free Member

Michelin Wild n’ Gripr in the mud. Hans Dampfs in the summer.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m after a sturdy sidewall with sticky rubber which doesn’t weigh the earth

I’m running a set of Maxwalbinental Moonsticks. I recommend them.

poah
    Free Member

there isn’t an alternative

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

FairPlay superficial… I wonder if there are any on eBay? Maybes if I said I wanted them to weigh less than maxis minions stick e dh tyres.

Northwind

The Butcher Grid doesn’t seem to be getting a UK release but it’s one I’d like to try- all that tread pattern goodness with 42a rubber (on the surface, it’s harder underneath). The Control’s a great tyre but just a but too hard, even the SX could be stickier.

Do you think an exo minion would be tough enough? Can’t go far wrong with a minion.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’ve a set of Maxxis Shortys on my bike. Very impressed and they actually roll very well. £40 each from nextdaytyres.com

Specialized Hillbilly might be worth a look if you’re looking for an intermediate mud/dry tyre.

daver27
    Free Member

Onza Ibex hasn’t been mentioned yet. Variety of casing choices and bloody brilliant all-round

Northwind

First ride on my shorty today… Pretty impressed. It still feels like a mud tyre but it’s better on hard stuff than the magic mary and doesn’t have the same grip-or-die feel. More riding needed but first impressions are that it more or less craps on the schwalbe. I need to try it on some sort of innerleithen enduro hell though, it maybe doesn’t have the offcamber grip.

SOAP
    Free Member

I think the Baron is an excellent race tyre as Northwind has said but just OK for everyday use.
    I’ve just ordered 2.3 Minion from Stif to replace a schwalbe HD on the rear.
    If it’s in the classified next week you’ll know it’s Sh*te

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

On balance it looks like the butcher grid is a worthy contender?

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thabks Northwind I think I’ve ruled out the mary

poah
    Free Member

SOAP – Member
    I think the Baron is an excellent race tyre as Northwind has said but just OK for everyday use.

what do you mean by that?

Northwind

@ns, I wouldn’t do that on the strength of my comments, one ride’s really not enough. But it’s a good start!

SOAP
    Free Member

I think they are great for off piste Enduro style racing but I would not want to ride trail centre/fire roads or Tarmac with them.
    IMHO

poah
    Free Member

not had a problem with them at inners

duir
    Free Member

Another big thumbs up for the shorty, it’s a brilliant all rounder like the Baron except it’s cheaper, has proper sidewalls and proper a proper size. It’s quite a bit lighter than the Magic Mary so it feels like it rolls great. It’s grip is excellent all round, from deep mud to hardcore. I find it’s best paired with a high roller II EXO on the back.

poah
    Free Member

barons are £30

honourablegeorge

duir – Member

It’s quite a bit lighter than the Magic Mary

Not sure that’s accurate.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I find Hans Dampfs to be a really good all rounder, cheap from Ze Germans, sensible weight for size and tubeless. They are definitely better in the dry than the Barons but when things get a bit wetter and muddier the Barons really come into their own. Took a few pairs of HDs to Mega last year assuming the weather would be the same as the it has been the last 5 years or so. In all that freak wet and mud they were pretty useless. I bought the Barons from the continental stand having not used them before but having seen some good reviews. They were very impressive, for winter a great choice. I guess it depends what conditions you usually ride in.

old_mtber
    Free Member

If you’re looking for a set of Barons I have a set for sale.
    Used last winter only 26 x 2.35 Black Chilli version. I really rate them for off piste style riding.
    Email in profile if interested.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to conty barons’ is closed to new replies.