Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alternatives to CBT (not the motorbikey type)
  • SamB
    Free Member

As a follow on from this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cbt-not-the-motorbikey-type

Anyone got any decent alternatives for CBT? I’ve been through it twice and it just hasn’t really worked for me. This weekend was a particularly bad one, my mind went to places I really didn’t want it to go to, and some proper dark thoughts 🙁

Any recommendations for alternatives? I’m in that London so most options should be available; at this point I’m prepared to give pretty much anything a go.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member
    survivor

I struggle with mental health problems and have also found CBT a bit ineffective. I can see the logic in it but struggle to make it work for me. You may be the same.

What I am starting to connect with though after being on many course’s is a mindfulness approach and in particular the compassion side of it as it appears I, like many people who suffer, are shockingly hard on myself.

On a recent course I went on it was mentioned “compassion focused therapy” was deleloped for help those who don’t connect with CBT.

Could be worth looking down this avenue. I’m still doing my own research so can’t say it’s a winner yet but it’s giving me some hope.

Good luck

hockropper

have you thought of trying NLP Neuro linguistic programming, ive been on a free weekend in London with these guys and they’re awesome. they run them regularly , you give them a £30 cheque and they give it you back at the end of the weekend http://www.tobyandkatemccartney.com

tjagain

The key thing in any counselling is the relationship between the councillor and the councellee.

Personally I like the person centred counselling. there are many differnt forms of counselling

isto
    Free Member

My wife is a counselor and she specializes in psycho-dynamic therapy which is one of the main alternatives to the CBT approach. My understanding is that although there is a lot of hype towards CBT at the minute it is generally seen as a “quick fix” and not always suitable depending upon the issues at hand.

My advice would be go on the the BACP website and find a counselor in your area who specializes in this rather than CBT, which obviously has not worked for you.

I hope you find some suitable help.

sv

+1 for the person centred physcotherapist approach for deeper issues. Make sure they are BACP approved.

teasel
    Free Member

And another shout out for the person centred therapy; it’s a little more fluid than CBT, which incidentally was once referred to as rational emotive behavioural therapy, which I think gives a little insight in to how it works.

As an aside, my nephew once called Isto’s suggestion thermo-dynamic therapy. Also claimed cancer can be malevolent or benevolent. He used to get a little confused with words… 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to CBT (not the motorbikey type)’ is closed to new replies.