Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alternatives to Buffalo active shirt
  • theotherjonv

Looking for something that will pack down small enough to go in a bag / camelback for those windy stops on the tops of hills where the sweat and heat from getting up there soon dissipates and you end up shivering while you take in the view and share round the jelly babies.

However, I’m not rich enough and wouldn’t use it often enough to justify buying a buffalo.

Who else makes similar for less? Or is >£100 reasonable for what i want?

honeybadgerx

Some sort of primaloft thing by RAb/Montane/etc. would see you well. They’re light, windproof, pack down well and you don’t need to worry about getting them wet like down. I’ve got a Montane Prism(?) Gilet which lives in my camelbak most of the time. Have a hunt around and you easily get one well under £100, if not closer to £50.

RockWallaby
    Free Member

You can try getting a Montane Extreme Smock on sale like(http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/insulation/extreme-smock). I found it a better fit for me than a Buffalo

niloC
    Free Member

There are a few alternatives for a light weight thermal windproof top, just so happens I’ve just been looking at this and went for a Marmot Driclime, also look at Snugpak vapour active soft shell, Rab vapour rise, Montane Krypton or ebay for an army surplus thermal smock, all of these can be had for less than a Buffalo.

avdave2

I’ve got the Extreme jacket, good as it is it’s quite bulky for carrying on the bike, I bought mine for standing around watching my son’s football matches. I’ve also got one of the featherlite jackets which I always carry on the bike. I really like their kit but be aware sizing can be on the small size. I’m only 5’6″ and 55kg but need a medium in their jackets otherwise they are too tight across the shoulders

supercarp

From what you want it for I don’t think the buffalo is ideal as they don’t pack that small. I have a montane smock which is brilliant but a bit to big for the pack. I tend to leave mine in the car for putting on when I get back. However buffalo stocks are amazing and it will be replacing my montane if that wears out

Have you considered Snugpac they do packable tops like the vapour active

supercarp

Oh should of said the cost of a buffalo or montane smock are worth the money, don’t forget they are supposed to be worn as a mid/outer layer so need to be nice and fitted not to loose

Go outdoors often have montane stuff on offer.

rene59
    Free Member

Budget option at £50
    Craghoppers Compresslite

plumber
    Free Member

rab generator smock if you can find one – brilliant piece of kit

deejayen
    Free Member

I tend to carry one of the lighter weight Buffalo tops (for audax etc). I can’t remember the model – I think it might be an Active Lite – it’s dark green and has a slightly textured outer fabric. It’s not as warm as a standard Buffalo or Montane top, as it has more of a ‘felt’ than a ‘pile’ inner. It’s still good for that sort of use when it’s not bitterly cold. I’ve had a lot of use out of mine – it works well for riding too. I usually pair it with a Helly Hansen base layer. It packs up reasonably small, and gives a nice sense of security. I always feel the chill! I also pack a pair of Buffalo mitts! The Buffalo gear is great in that it actually warms you up when you put it on. I’ve been disappointed in the Paramo smock in comparison. I’ve also got a PHD Primaloft gilet, but don’t think it’s a great solution when it’s liable to get wet.

benp1

Sounds like you want an overlayer, rather than something pile and pertex

The former keeps you warm when you stop. The latter is for active use and is very breathable, but typically needs to be cold otherwise you sweat buckets

Something with synthetic insulation (primaloft for example) would be perfect.

Next decision is arms or no arms (pack size and warmth)

The Montane Prism is very popular on STW. I don’t personally have one as I generally prefer stuff without a hood so I can wear a separate hat.

My Montane Fireball Smock is the smallest, lightest, full length sleeved, synthetic top I have. Won’t necessarily suit all your needs but its a good candidate

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I got a montane smock for £50 from TK MAX , havene’t had it off all winter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Buffalo active shirt’ is closed to new replies.