Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alternatives to Alfine 8-spd trigger shifter – Nexus twist shifter/Jtek barend?
  • redx

Am getting fed up with the Alfine 8-speed trigger shifter on my commuter as it’s different to the other trigger shifter on my mtb. Has anyone successfully used a Nexus twist shifter on an Alfine hub instead of the trigger shifter?

Or has anyone managed to convert a Jtek bar end shifter into a thumbshifter for flat bars, maybe using an old Forge engineering mount for Shimano bar end shifters?

Cheers

Alex

Mackem

I’ve got a J-tek converter thing for converting a bar-end shifter to be a flat bar shifter. It’s sat around doing nowt, so you can have it for nowt.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The Nexus twist is fully compatible with an Alfine 8 speed hub.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Andy-R

The Nexus twist shifter will work fine but it’s a pretty plasticky affair in my opinion.

redx

Mackem, yes please as long as you’re sure it’s going spare… Have you ever used J-tek shifter?

Mackem

Never used a J-tek shifter, I bought the converter as I was thinking about it but in the end didnt bother.

jes
    Free Member

I use the twist shifter with my Alfine 8, yes its “plasticky” and a bit agricultural but has worked fault free in a range of conditions on the winter bike.

I do prefer twist shifters so am prepared to overlook its shortcomings, just wish there was an option for the Alfine 11.

thepodge
    Free Member

You can use a sram x9 shifter from zerode, lets you shift multiple gears at once too

Andy-R

SRAM X9 shifter with Alfine 8, how will this work? Is the cable pull per shift correct?

thepodge
    Free Member

You have to unscrew the shifter & add a plate that I assume corrects the cable pull.

The zerode guys are really friendly, you should find the info if you Google it

Martin.B
    Free Member

RedX, if your getting rid if your shifter, then I will have it off you
    Pm me
    Mart

redx

Martin B, when I get around to changing it I’ll give you a shout. It might not be for a few weeks mind…..

nixie

thepodge, have you seen an article that describes the change? Been looking and can only find a place to buy the shifter from zerode.

And almost immediately find this 😀

http://www.mrc-trading.de/Adapter-fuer-SRAM-X9-Shifter-Shimano-Alfine-Nabe.html

kazafaza
    Free Member

How about changing the rear mech on your mtb to rapid-rise? 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Alfine 8-spd trigger shifter – Nexus twist shifter/Jtek barend?’ is closed to new replies.