Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Alternatives to a Thomson seat post?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Needs to be long, strong, black, offset and 31.6. Your suggestions please.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Stick with Thomson.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I probably will but I’m in two minds about the bend to create the offset.

spock
    Free Member

Ragley spike, excellent seat post

Onzadog
    Free Member

How fine is the adjustment on the saddle tilt?

69er
    Free Member

Thomson laybacks are ugly and I had one that creaked endlessly. If you could put up with Ti then the Van Nicholas ‘Moots-a-like’ post looks sweet and is noticably more comfortable:

😉

tollah
    Free Member

I love m Kent Eriksen Ti, it’s not black or 31.6 but it’s Gurt lush.

69er
    Free Member

Kent Eriksen – $230 + duty

Moots – $305 + duty

Van Nick – £96!

pedalhead
    Free Member

…but the Eriksen post has the best clamp system in the world ever

Onzadog
    Free Member

But guys, the Thomson is sixty five quid. I was wondering if the richer, raceface, pro or others were worth a look.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Double tap.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Run a few Thomson’s here, i also did not like the bend (and would not put it on my bikes) but have got used to it find it works so well. Also have two USE Sumos, one alloy and one carbon, they work well (similar clamp to the Kent E one’s) and come in same-ish layback and one NC17 that works really well with the same layback.

peteimpreza

“But guys, the Thomson is sixty five quid”

Not at Merlin

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheaper at merlin but they don’t do the 31.6 x 410 layback in black.

mrmo
    Free Member

perfectly happy with a Bontrager X lite ACC

nickc

The SDG I beam post and saddle. got them on road bike and MTB. There’s usually an offer knocking about to buy both post and saddle as a combo

cynic-al
    Free Member

I dunno why Thomson has the status it does.

plenty other seatposts work fine. seriously, just try a different brand.

I’ve used Ritchey, Smica, Shimano, others I’ve forgotten. None bent and I only got shot of a use cos the clamp was so bad.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I ran an EC90 and it was comfy but the diameter wasn’t quite what is said it was (in theory 27.2mm, in reality 27.0mm) so I exchanged it for a Thomson. Strong as ox, durable but waaaaaaaay too stiff bordering on uncomfortable. It’s fine on the 456SS but will not see my ti bike nor the A.
    I prefer CF posts from Easton and Bontrager to Thomson alloy ones for non-mad and unskilled riding.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Hope

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I bought a Thomson Masterpiece layback post off WCA for forty pounds. It’s very light, as light as a Syncros Carbon post I’ve got. And supposedly very very strong, although at mosquito weight, I’m probbly not likely to break it. It’s is beautifully made; carved from a single piece of aluminium.

That Van Nicholas one looks very nice. As for those American ones; I just can’t see how a bloody seatpost should cost so much money. That’s obscene.

mudpup
    Free Member

I bought one of these Nuke Proof
    Its lighter than a Thomson and seems just as well finished – highly recommended. Has about 20mm effective layback. And on sale at £29 at the mo’

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys. The bike in question is running a Thomson online at the moment. I’ve never thought that it was too still but at over fifteen stone I suppose there’s not much out there that would feel too stiff.

The post comes out regularly for transportation and maybe the occasional uppy downy moment during the ride so while I’m happy with the strength of carbon, I think I’d run the risk of scratching or abrasion damage.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had a look at some of the suggestions. From that pic, the nuke proof looks like less than 20mm offset which matches other comments that it’s only 10mm. If so, it’s not enough. The ragley might do the job but goes the head have serated faces or just rely on friction between two smooth faces?

Looking at the bontrager site, looks like the race lite might do the job. Anyone got any comments on raceface posts?

kiwijohn

Had a RF Evolve, creaked like a creaky thing.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I don’t understand the Thomson status either. I imagine we’ll see less and less of them on mtbs in the future though when everyone finally accepts how awesome dropper posts are. 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

If you decide on Raceface I have A 2010 Deus seat post in good condition for £35 posted, I’m only selling as I now have a silly light KCNC post.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Avoid the Bontrager, Ritchey and USE at your weight, the clamps aren’t very good. I’m 82kg and I’ve have trouble with all of the above due to the single bolt design not being up to the job. I only use posts with a front and back bolt now.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

88 kilos and I’ve used Bontrager, USE and Specialized all one bolt clamps, never had an issue.

richcc
    Free Member

Cheers for the merlin heads up. Just bought a Thomson for £46.75 posted. Aside from ‘that’ Moots post that comes with the great packaging I can’t think of a nicer post

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was thinking back through what posts I’ve used over the years. I rode Manitou frames for a long time and they came with with their own seatpost. A fork leg lower with a ringle moby head as I remember. Other than that and the Thomson, everything else has let me down. Had a use crack where the bolt went through the shaft, a food that bent, a control tech that bent and a kingsbury a very long time ago that bent.

I think it was around that time that I realised buying lightweight kit for me wasn’t the best way forward. I think for me, the Thomson reputation is deserved, I’m just really unsure about the link for the offset one.

Edit: nearly forgot the syncros. One I think the head came unbonded and the second the head cracked. It was at that time I decided to try these new unheard of Thomson posts.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to a Thomson seat post?’ is closed to new replies.