Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Alternatives to a Lezyne Caddy Sack or Rapha essentials case
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Prompted a bit by this thread and my Lezyne Caddy Sack coming apart at the seams. What’s a good alternative? (No saddle bags!)

Be nice if it was more shaped with a zip opening, the caddy sack is ok but I think you lose quite a bit of space around the seams. Also the pointy corners can make it a pain to get in and out of jersey pockets. So a bit like the Rapha one really but waterproof and preferably cheaper.

Thanks.

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve used a reinforced pencil case in the past, does the same thing, considerably cheaper, you can get the zip to match your jersey/bike/socks

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not posh enough 🙂

Want something that’s a bit more pouch shaped, IYKWIM, so rounded at the sides so you can get a bit more in and it still be easy to slip in and out of a pocket. Pointy corners can make it a pain.

iainc

I have a multitude of these things. Current fave is the predecessor to the Caddy Sack, which was a zip up one by Lezyne (thankfully I bought a few), and it fits middle pocket perfectly. I also have the Rapha one, which goes in a side jersey pocket with phone, keys, cash etc.

I used to load the Lezyne sac with tubes, multitool, patches etc, which all fitted but was quite heavy. I have recently bought a couple of the new Lezyne Road Caddy tiny packs which strap under saddle and am finding that best option, as it just fits tube, tool, patches, chain link, leaving pocket bags for lighter stuff (I do take a second tube on longer rides)

JoB
    Free Member

VeloCulture do a nice thing, they call it a purse, which might be awkward for some

mrblobby
    Free Member

I have a multitude of these things. Current fave is the predecessor to the Caddy Sack, which was a zip up one by Lezyne (thankfully I bought a few), and it fits middle pocket perfectly.

Yes, shame they changed the designs. Assume waterproofing the zip was a pain for them.

they call it a purse, which might be awkward for some

I have no problems with that 🙂

They do look a bit small though. Need to accommodate a tube, 2xCO2, small multitool, some patches, and a pair of quick links.

iainc

Need to accommodate a tube, 2xCO2, small multitool, some patches, and a pair of quick links.

I don’t think you’d get that into the Rapha one anyway…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think you’d get that into the Rapha one anyway…

That was going to be my next question having just been looking unsuccessfully for dimensions on their web site.

iainc

the Rapha one fits my Windows phone (about size of an iphone5) paper money, credit card, house or car keys comfortably. I think it would be difficult to close with a tube, cartidges and some odds and sods.

It goes in a side pocket with just those items, and the original Lezyne one in middle pocket with second tube, latex gloves, any other bits, leaving 3rd pocket for food and a gilet (on good bike pump is on frame, on cx/tourer it’s in middle pocket or panniers if touring

JoB
    Free Member

you won’t fit all that in a Rapha case

put the quick links and patches in your case, elastic band the tube and CO2 together, share them and the multi-tool out between pockets so it’s not all one heavy lump

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’m sure beerbabe would make you something suitable if you asked nicely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

put the quick links and patches in your case, elastic band the tube and CO2 together, share them and the multi-tool out between pockets so it’s not all one heavy lump

I get them all in the lezyne and it usually fits nicely into a middle pocket. Don’t even notice it when out riding. Don’t want to split it all up, just being able to pick up one pack and shove it in a pocket is the thing I like.

ajantom

Syncros ride wallet – currently on sale for £3.75 here… Ride Wallet

Mine’s proved really useful for road rides, slips in the bag for MTBing, and my wife liked it so much she ordered one and now uses it as her everyday purse/wallet.

DT78
    Free Member

I just use a couple of smaller bags, lezyne caddy, one made out of inner tubes I got as a pressie (had a belt in it). If you want posh, bellroy make a lovely one but it is about £70

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Bellroy ones 🙂

I am tempted just to get a couple of the smaller lezyne ones, would probably fit better in pockets too for most rides.

mattythemod
    Free Member
    hilldodger
    Free Member
    TheGingerOne

I use the little woven bags that my Thomson Stem and seat collar came in.

Given they are in my jersey pockets, nothing is going to come out of them.
    If anything needs to be kept dry, e.g. Phone and money, I put it in a reusable freezer style bag within said Thomson bag.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The sfbags one is more the sort of thing I’m after.

I use the little woven bags that my Thomson Stem and seat collar came in.

A loose bag is a bit of a pain as I want things held a bit more securely.

nickc

2nd the Syncros ride wallet, mine manages to contain: c02, tyre levers, multitool, tyre patches, money, keys, and has a clear pouch internally that will take a map folded up, and a C card (JIC)

And still fits neatly in all my jersey pockets.

for anything bigger for longer rides, I’ve one of the Condor bottle mounted erm…bottles?

thomthumb
    Free Member
    MrNice
    Free Member

mcnultycop

Sticky pod is good.

iainc

That sfbags one looks good, but pricey…. Anyone got one, any good ?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes, I got an sf pouch via velo11 in Australia – it does the job well, leather is very thick so it does smooth out the bumps inside but at the expense of weight.
    You can use phone touchscreen through the plastc screen just fine and it gives a good deal of protection.
    It’s cut to fit a middle pocket and has never felt like it’s going to bounce out or wobble around annoyingly. Think it may be a sweat trap in summer but so far comfort isn’t an issue.
    It’s not cheap, and is an indulgence but still glad I treated myself as it is built tough enough to last years, the finish is sort of raw/oiled leather so no shiny layer to scuff off. Not 100% waterproof, but so far no problems all through winter with the phone compartment and just a little occasional dampness in the main pouch round the zip.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sticky pods actually look pretty good!

iainc

Thanks hilldodger, tempted…. What type of pump fits in it ? I have a Lezyne pressure drive which I like but no way will it fit. That said, I only use that pump on winter/cx/tourer as have a frame mounted one on summer bike.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

BigXTop do some nice bits of kit..

http://www.bigxtop.com/category/accessories

dantsw13

Offthebrakes – I’ve been toying with asking beerbabe to make one. I have several of her things and like them.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Haven’t tried a pump, but anything bigger than 2 16g CO2 cartridges end to end wouldn’t fit – I fit in 2 cartridges, tube, park patches, lezyne sv5 mini tool, lezyne matrix lever and a leatherman squirt – small chain tool would fit but I don’t bother with one for road use.
    A second tube would squeeze in with careful packing.
    The inner pockets take a bank card, the obligatory tenner and a couple of coins – no doubts, it’s really a bit of an indulgence and not the most cost effective or lightweight solution but as bike-tart gear goes it’s pretty decent.
    Delivery from Aus was a couple of weeks with no extra charges on receipt.

iainc

^^^ thanks for that, will put on birthday list methinks 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Big top looks a winner as well, though I may have to put one of those sfbags on my birthday list too 🙂

Basil

Err I have used for years various make up bags! Try to get the least girlie one: Boots / BM etc. Tend to be quite waterproof.
    Just moved onto Sea to Summit neoprene pouch from Hennie. Not waterproof but nice and soft shaped ,so no sharp bumps.

rp16v
    Free Member

Take a look here all home made in Bristol to a great standard(not my site BTW)

=http://www.mackworkshop.com/shop

dantsw13

Judy at Beerbabe is going to come up with a design for one.

will
    Free Member

I just use an old sunglasses fabric case. Works well.

iainc

the sfbags/eleven velo one looks well thought out and well made, but once you add in delivery etc it comes in at just over £50…..

dantsw13

I’ve just received a prototype design from Beerbabe – very nice!!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Photos?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to a Lezyne Caddy Sack or Rapha essentials case’ is closed to new replies.