Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Alternatives to a backpack, are there any?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I rode without my bag on for the first time in ages the other day and loved how free and cool it felt – no more sweaty back and I didn't feel restricted like a bag/shoulder straps makes me feel. Just wondering if there are any good alternatives to wearing a backpack? I could fit all my tools etc in a saddle bag I reckon, then attach a pump to the frame somewhere, but not sure about being able to carry enough water (2l is probably about right for me) without a camelback type thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I almost never use one in Summer – winter I sometimes need to for extra kit

Multi tool and tube in seatpouch, Pump on a frame clip, 2×750 ml water bottles on frame. Waterproof in jersey pocket if required, food in pockets.. Sorted. You can almost always find somewhere to refill if 1.5 l isn't enough

I have no idea why people carry rucksacs and what they fill them with

_tom_
    Free Member

My frame only has 1 set of bottle mounts 🙁 I have a 1.5l bladder at the minute and its just about enough for me around cannocks monkey trail on a normal day but I run out quicker when it gets hot/humid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Me too. I mounted another mount with cableties. there are a variety of ways to deal with the lack of bottle mounts.

epicsteve
    Free Member

What about those wingnuts packs?

_tom_
    Free Member

ha, didn't think of that TJ 😳

Had a look at those wingnuts a while ago, they're expensive! Not sure if they'd be much use against sweaty lower back though?

Jamie
    Free Member

Just fill your frame with water. Pop a bendy straw in the top cap and you're sorted. 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

there are a variety of clip on bottle mpunts as well – mainly aimed at triathlon guys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

TJ, I've been meaning to d that for a while now. On a pair of humvees my crank bros pump actually fits in the outer thigh pockets, can't feel it when riding.

Only downside – I once came off quite a high rock at Dalbeattie and landed square on my back, camelback took the hit, may not have been so lucky without it. I bet a lot of folks have been saved spinal injuries by the same fate.

monksie
    Free Member

Tube, two tyre levers, co2 can and head strapped to the seatpost. Multitool, couple of pieces of chain and powerlinks in jersey pocket. Arm warmers in other jersey pocket, £10 note (just in case) and a couple of gels in last jersey pocket. 750ml (x2 on my bike) water bottles with a Nuun tab in each.
    No backpack required unless I'm out for a full day.

gothandy

I definitely get what you mean going no pack, but I don't get the logic of taking everything out of you pack and putting it on the bike?

I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference but weight on the bike is going to make it slower to throw about, especially on single track you keep you body going in a straight line and the bike does the work.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I stick all that in a race pack with a bladder full of ice, small, light cool. I hate stuff in pockets but there are frame bags and bottles if you really hate packs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

gothandy – it does alter the handling – no doubt – however its different – not better or worse nessasarily. Centre of gravity is lower and its more efficient as you are not moving the weight of the pack around – but as yo say its harder to move the bike underneath you. I don' think it is really significant – its only 2 kgs more with two bottles or with one not much more than a kilo more

monksie
    Free Member

I can't say I've noticed any difference in having it distributed around me and the bike or in a backpack to be honest. It all seems to work well enough round here.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just don't want bits to fall off when going down bumpy stuff or jumping, haha

btw my pack is just a cheap one I got from tescos last year, would a "better" one like camelback or something be comfier/better back ventilation?

monksie
    Free Member

"round here" is the Peak District and I can't think of anywhere smooth. I've not lost anything yet.
    I'm a complete convert to Osprey packs and undoubtedly, the more you spend the better it will be but ultimately, it will sit on your back and so it will be damper than not having one on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I never lose stuff either

Jamie
    Free Member

btw my pack is just a cheap one I got from tescos last year, would a "better" one like camelback or something be comfier/better back ventilation?

Yup. My Dakine Nomad is damn comfy…..better than the Camelbak Mule IMHO.

singlespeedstu

What you need is a few "trailbitches" to carry all your kit for you.
    I have one for tools and tubes and one for the iced Moet and strawberries.

TheChunk
    Free Member

I went from a Tesco jobbie to a Vaude Aquarius recently and it's lots better in terms of keeping you cool, significantly less sweaty back syndrome. Definitely try a different pack before giving up on them.

Del

wingnut hyper 2.5 i would say. i have the 3. mostly empty this time of year, apart from the pockets, but i carry three litres of water and use it on a full day's ride on the moor.
    the 2.5 takes 1.5L of water.
    i find my 'nut significantly better than a mule or a hawg for ventilation, weight positioning, having access to side pockets all the time, having nice quality zips etc. etc. they are pricey for sure, but they are good.
    alternatively maybe the osprey belt pack – room for a bottle either side. plenty of other packs out there like that too.

coastkid
    Free Member

ive got a Karrimor rush air back pack which i think is way better than any camelback as my back dosnt sweat with it on, the 3 litre bladder slides into its own sleeve so no farting about with bladders…
    for ultimate comfort cant beat the epid designs frame bag 😮

cinnamon_girl

You can get bar-mounted bottle holders and they are very stable. Can't remember who makes them but certainly more than one company do but, be careful, cos one make is rubbish.

I use a Wingnut but still get sweaty. In fact, when I had a skills session with jedi, I removed my backpack and what a revelation it was to ride without one. Balance was so much better.

IA

Bottle in a back pocket works well enough* when you need an extra bottle. Used to do this for racing on the prophet (no bottle mount). Even better if you use one of the platypus collapsable bottles.

Tube and multitool in another pocket or saddlebag, tape pump to the frame and you're good to go. 2 pockets left for food n stuff.

Jumps and rough stuff isn't a problem, though if you have a big stack you do sometimes have a bit of a yard sale.

*I'm pretty big, so I guess the size of bottle is less relative to me/my pockets than short folk.

joolsburger
    Free Member

This is what I use and it is really comfortable.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=35715 just big enough for everything I need including a 2l bladder and a jacket.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My Epic came with fittings so that another bottle could be mounted on the seatpost – one mount on the seatclamp and another that slid onto the seat-tube. Not sure if that's something available seperately.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

for ultimate comfort cant beat the epid designs frame bag

good grief – I don't usually care much about how a thing looks but that is ghastly 🙁

Edric64
    Free Member

I rarely use a camelback ,for a while they seemed to be the in thing and everyone used one.Most of the time I and several other mates just use bottles other spares fit in the jersey back pockets or seat pack

g-dawg
    Free Member

Road(type) jersey w ith pockets and a saddle bag can carry everything I used to take in my pack. Water in bottles on frame. No more sweaty back !

_tom_
    Free Member

Bottle in pocket seems so uncomfortable/awkward.

Edric64
    Free Member

there are belts for jogging that carry a bottle they dont get in the way and they are cheap

coastkid
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

for ultimate comfort cant beat the epid designs frame bag

good grief – I don't usually care much about how a thing looks but that is ghastly 🙄

beats back ache 😆

richcc
    Free Member

I'm with SFB – that framebag monstrosity looks like some cosmic designs thing from 1991 that never stopped growing. Wouldn't fancy it if it was gusty either

snowslave

Just gaffer tape your kit to your body. Next

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to a backpack, are there any?’ is closed to new replies.