Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Alternatives to 142mm maxle lite?
  • Northwind

Got quite annoyed at my maxle/frame combo over the weekend, there’s not really enough clearance around the frame so the maxle fouls it in a lot of places making adjustment, removal etc a pain. So anyway, I’m replacing a damaged front maxle with the Maxle Stealth bolt-in, just wondered if there’s something similiar for rears, that doesn’t cost a fortune? I’ve found a couple at the 80 euro mark but that’s a bit much, I’ll just live with the niggles at that price…

teethgrinder

There was a thread on here a couple months back with a link to a shop that had an alternative at a reasonable price, but I can’t seem to find it now. About £20 I think they were.

Edit: This, but out of stock

brnoblade
    Free Member

Or try here 142 e-thru

thepodge
    Free Member

Both of those are Shimano style axles not rock shox style. They have a different thread pitch

benpinnick

Maxlle Ultimate as an option? Otherwise there is a novatec one but its hard to find and wont offer any more clearance (probably less TBH) than a maxle ultimate, and its definitely not as nice to use.

nickc

I’ve same thing as Northwind, where my rear maxle wants to do up, the frame is in the way. If there’s a screw in alternate without a cam lever, I’d be interested in it

helpful1
    Free Member

my wee Rose has one of these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-rws-e-thru-alloy/rp-prod123930

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2nJjYWqZBY[/video]

does exactly what you want.

thepodge
    Free Member

helpful1 – does exactly what you want.

Except its another Shimano style not Maxle style so is totally incompatible

helpful1
    Free Member

Oops. Sorry.
    No experience of rear RS Maxles.

Being Northwind I see a bodged drop-out thread pitch change in the near future 😉

helpful1
    Free Member

What frame are you riding now NW? Not still that Cot’n’shut?

akak
    Free Member

Unless I have misunderstood, this would work. It’s a non-lite maxle, does up with a 5mm allen key on both sides. Ignore the stock photo, not in stock with Ison though which doesn’t help.

thepodge
    Free Member

is this what you mean?

I guess it would depend what thread it had

al2000

Banshee axle has the same thread pitch as a maxle, so would work.

Take note that the little end bolt is perfect for dropping in puddles when fixing a flat in horizontal sleet in the middle of nowhere..

Northwind

Hmm. It’s a BMC Trailfox, so it actually has the “nut” captive in the frame (though removable) so possibly I could switch standards. Rather not though! The Banshee looks like it could be a good option with standard parts, I’ll look into that- thanks folks!

(@helpful, I’ve parked the cotic for now, decided to try some long travel clownwheels. You’d love it!)

helpful1
    Free Member

Sounds a lot faster than any bike I have… but yeah. I’d probably hate being between the *style killing non-direction-adjust wheels.
    I do particularly like that they Market them as nimble AND stable tho 😉

is it a DW/Maestro link kinda deal?

*I might actually love ’em if I was 6’6″+

Northwind

helpful1 – Member

I do particularly like that they Market them as nimble AND stable tho

This one’s as nimble as a thrown brick tbh. I don’t honestly know what’s going on with the linkages, it’s a dual link dealy with too much anti-squat but it’s pretty effective. Can’t complain at the price anyway, I like it, bit overweight.

mactheknife

Northwind, i have a spare banshee rear axle if you want to try one out. I can pop it in the post thursday for you. In no particular hurry to have it back 🙂

Northwind

YGM Mac, thanks!

mactheknife

No worries 🙂

DanW
    Free Member

ShiftUp are a great value option with lots of variations available if the other one mentioned doesn’t work out for you

Northwind

Just to tie it off- Mac’s Banshee axle is absolutely perfect. I don’t know if it’ll fit all bikes- the original maxle has a bit of adjustment for length/width of dropouts, and the Banshee one is kind of on the limit in this bike but it’s spot on for me. Bit lighter too. Cheers!

helpful1
    Free Member

Nimblisity restored!

We all love a happy ending. 8)

fizik
    Free Member

as above, maxle ultimate – loads better

Northwind

Looking at it, I think it’s a maxle ultimate that it comes with. Don’t know much about ’em but it looks the same in pics.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

So is Wee Rose the new bikes official name?

Northwind

I don’t get it 😕

I’m calling it The Big Bike because it’s a bike and it’s bloody big. But that might be confusing because it replaces The Big Bike and it was smaller. I just don’t know.

helpful1
    Free Member

lol

Gettin a “Ma wee Rose” tattoo as I type.

Northwind

Ahhhh I caught up

helpful1
    Free Member

blairc70
    Free Member

I’ve bought one of these, only had to on a week, but its a neat solution

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=401

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to 142mm maxle lite?’ is closed to new replies.