Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Alternative Ulster
  • dave360

Finally booked the long overdue return to NI with her indoors for last (long) weekend of March.

I have a vague idea of getting the bus to Londonderry, having a wander round town, maybe stopping the night and then somehow up to the Giant’s wotsit, and then following the coast (ish) back to Belfast. Doable by public transport?

If not, I’m open to suggestions from those who know better…

TheSanityAssassin

Just save some cash and put Inflammable Material on repeat for the weekend. That’ll make you feel young again.

MrSparkle

SA – they’re on @ Manchester Academy on 21st March with Chelsea. Seen ’em twice in the past few years and they’ve been great!

midlifecrashes

Wouldn’t miss the coast from Derry round to Coleraine either if you can do it, but you do see a fair bit from the Derry to Coleraine train if it’s still going. Downhill and Castlerock beaches and Mussenden Temple have some of my favourite views in the world.

bruneep

The Sanity Assassin – Member

Just save some cash and put Inflammable Material on repeat for the weekend. That’ll make you feel young again.

Oh Yes! The memories 🙂 <sigh>

kennyNI
    Free Member

The A2 is the road you will be following. It really should be driven, particularly the section from Cushendall to Larne, where the road is practically the coast.

But if you must, for public transport have a look at Translink.

dave360

wahey it’s taking shape. So its train from Belfast to Londonderry, and thence to Coleraine / Portrush. After that, well we’ll work something out.

emac65
    Free Member

SA – they’re on @ Manchester Academy on 21st March with Chelsea. Seen ’em twice in the past few years and they’ve been great!

Christ, Chelsea,a real blast from the past,saw them last around ’81-82.Still got “Right To Work” on 7″ too

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

The railway section from Ballymena to Coleraine will be closed soon, if it isnt already for 14 weeks. The section from Coleraine to Derry however will remain open. So basically that means if you get the train from Belfast to Derry, expect a headache.

There is a reasonable bus service between Belfast and Derry, basically every hour weekdays. It’s about £14 return. Tbh I’d hire a car, drive up the Antrim coast, through the glens, then down into Derry via Castlerock. From Derry I’d spend a day a day at least in Donegal. Lots to see and do here. Spectacular scenery all round, and the people are friendlier than the nordies.

dave360

when you say Derry, is that the same as Londonderry, gnar? ta for the info.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Yeah Derry and Londonderry are the same place.

Derry is actually the County that the City of Londonderry is in but most people call the City itself Derry as-well.

I think driving would be a much better option in all directions. Lets you stop off and see anything you want on the way. I am from the Tyrone/Donegal border and have to agree that a day spent there would be worthwhile.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

groundskeeperwilly
    Yeah Derry and Londonderry are the same place.

Derry is actually the County that the City of Londonderry is in but most people call the City itself Derry as-well.

I think driving would be a much better option in all directions. Lets you stop off and see anything you want on the way. I am from the Tyrone/Donegal border and have to agree that a day spent there would be worthwhile.

Nicely dodged there willy, Derry/Londonderry was founded by Saint Columba, later burned to the ground by Cahir O’ Doherty. It was rebuilt with the help of the London guilds and gained the London prefix which also applies to the county depending on who you talk to.

Outside of Derry/Londonderry, unionists almost always refer to it as Londonderry, nationalists usually refer to it as Derry, both out of habit and out of political principal. In Derry/Londonderry itself it is almost universally refered to as Derry by both cultures, at least in private. However a unionist might refer to it as Londonderry to make statement in public. It’s a predominantly catholic city with a pretty deep republican vein. An Englishman walking around the city using the name Londonderry might get a bit of a frosty reception.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Oh, you’ll be in for it now GNARGNAR 🙁

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

sodafarls
    Oh, you’ll be in for it now GNARGNAR

Surely not, I am just giving the guy some friendly and potentially very useful advice.

sodafarls
    Free Member

I would agree, but i’m guessing that the OP may have been “making a statement” when he wrote

when you say Derry, is that the same as Londonderry, gnar?

Or maybe not, I would find that strange though. 🙄

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Ah right. I wasnt thinking in those terms so that didn’t occur to me. If “Derry” is good enough for the head of the Orange Lodge there, then it’s good enough for me.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I know Inflammable Material backwards! 😀

Sandwich

Stroke City as Gerry Andersen refers to it.

sodafarls
    Free Member

Stroke City as Gerry Andersen refers to it.

Thunderbirds guy? Could he not “pull some strings” and get laid there?

Hohohohoho!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I holidayed at Magilligan many times

catty
    Free Member

If you can definately hire a car, you will not be able to get to the best places otherwise. Don’t miss a trip to donegal…but then im biased! A car will let you get lots lots of nice beaches and hills that you otherwise couldn’t get to…plus buses don’t run as late in NI as england except between major places…so remember to check the time of the last bus

enjoy yourself!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Well explained Gnar….best advice might be leave the England Shirts in the suitcase when you are in Derry, Strabane, Donegal…..

Seriously though Dave360-its a great place.

*To the rest of the Irish/Northern Irish lads-where do you ride? Surely all the nice areas we are thinking of could be good biking spots?

sodafarls
    Free Member

To the rest of the Irish/Northern Irish lads-where do you ride? Surely all the nice areas we are thinking of could be good biking spots?

I don’t live in N.I. anymore, but spent most summers at my grandparents near Carnlough. The trails leading up from Cambelltown into the Antrim Plateau would (then, quite a while ago) give some fantastic riding.

dave360

yeah well I can’t be doing with any sash my father wore, 16th century bollocks. whatever its called on the map is what I’m going to be calling it.
    More importantly, where should I go for the drinking of the 6 pints of the Guinness?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Long time since I have been back but last time I was home I took a group of visitors to letterkenny-theres a good mix of modern clubs and bars as-well as traditional pubs there to suit all.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Letterkenny can be okay but it’s pretty full on, club and pub wise these days. I’d prefer to stop in a smaller town, most of which will have at least four or five bars…I mean how many pubs do you need to go around?

sv

Thought it was County Londonderry and City of Derry – what do I know! Derrylondonderry by the thunderbirds man!

sq225917
    Free Member

Well, ‘when you’ve gotta, gotta, getaway…….’

harvey
    Free Member

i agree with the hire car idea . i have a girl working for me at the moment . she hired a car at belfast city airport for about £11 per day . to leave belfast and head north on the coast road ,through and past the glens of antrim , is stunning and a much better look at nornirelan than a bus / train through the middle of county antrim . there are also lovely wee hotels in ballycastle and bushmills to break the journey on the way to derry

dave360

Righto hire car then. Sounds like it could be a nice tour on a bike one day too.
    Bushmills? Whisky, right?
    Thanks everyone.

harvey
    Free Member

it is a terrific bike ride but fairly long and tough ( the bride might`nt be too impressed ! )yes the is a good distilery in bushmills , and the wee hotel there is nice to stay , eat and drink

giant_scum
    Free Member

Can recommend the Tower Hotel in Derry! Just of the main square in the walled city. Couple of decent drinking establishments close bt as well.

feenster
    Free Member

yeah well I can’t be doing with any sash my father wore, 16th century bollocks. whatever its called on the map is what I’m going to be calling it.

But on the other hand, a bit of awareness and attention to sensitivities of the locals will stand you in good stead; and that would apply wherever in the world you travelled.

dave360

Tower Hotel has got a good 2 nights b&b deal, so BOOKED.
    So current plan is round the coast for day 1.
    and Donegal for day 2. Is that where Craggy Island is?

Hey feenster give me a break, I’m Mr Sensitive me.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

giant_scum
    Can recommend the Tower Hotel in Derry! Just of the main square in the walled city. Couple of decent drinking establishments close bt as well.

Yes, and it’s also nice and close to Waterloo place, the local head kicking arena. City Hotel is nicer, and not as awkward to get to. I just wouldnt stay in Derry tbh.

EDIT: I’ve just read that you’re staying in Derry for the night, if it’s a weekend night keep your wits about you, try and get to and from wherever you’re going before the local niteclubs kick out, dont hang around waterploo place and dont walk on the walls at night for a short cut.

You’ll love Donegal btw.

feenster

But on the other hand, a bit of awareness and attention to sensitivities of the locals will stand you in good stead; and that would apply wherever in the world you travelled.

Well said.

dave360
    Tower Hotel has got a good 2 nights b&b deal, so BOOKED.
    So current plan is round the coast for day 1.
    and Donegal for day 2. Is that where Craggy Island is?

No, exteriors for craggy island were shot in Co. Clare I believe, but Tory Island off the Donegal coast is as close as you can actually get in real life. Most people still speak as Gaeilge over there, the pubs/ceile’s stay open all night if you are lucky. Mental place and well worth a visit.

dave360

EEK. So will if get my head kicked in if:

1) I’m obviously english
    2) I talk about the war
    3) I walk on the wall
    4) I stay out too late
    5) Just because
    6) All of the above.

Still, better than having my knees black n deckered I suppose.

I’ll love Donegal? With that exchange rate?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

dave360 – Member
    EEK. So will if get my head kicked in if:

1) I’m obviously english – Probably not. If you wear an England jersey (any sport) definately.

2) I talk about the war – depends which war.

3) I walk on the wall – After dark it’s a drinking/shagging spot for local hoods. It’s right beside your hotel.

4) I stay out too late – The city centre can be a very violent place after about 1am.

5) Just because – Hmmmm, maybe.

6) All of the above – Just be careful, it’s a staunchly republican town with a reputation for street violence.

dave360

“probably” not… looks like I’d better tell her indoors to go tooled up.

dave360

Alternative Ulster? Sadly not, looks like we’re back in 1990. And its all the fault of the British Government for being provocative by sending in the SAS according to Sinn Fein.

samuri
    Free Member

Best keep the miltary tats under wraps then dave, eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Ulster’ is closed to new replies.