Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alternative triathlon?
  • JamieMc
    Free Member

I'm on the look out for a Triathlon to sign up for and train for over the winter months. However, my swimming leaves a lot to be desired. Do any of you out there know of any triathlons which consist of a trail/hill run, mountain bike and a paddle type sport (if indeed such an event exists). Or does anyone know any useful websites rearding events such as these in the UK. Any help or direction appreciated

donald
    Free Member
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Definately enter the Helly Hansen Adventure races.
    http://www.trailplus.com
    It's up to 10k of running, 25k MTB and 2k (or something like that) kayak, however you don't know what order or how long each bit will be until the morning. oh and you have to compete in teams of 3 and stick together at all times. I did 2 of them last year and they were brilliant!
    First event was run, bike, kayak, bike, run!! So much fun and took about 3 1/2 hours IIRC.
    i've already entered the OCtober and December ones for this years motivation!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What Munqe-chick said. The Helly Hansen ones are great fun, are NOT easy but are VERY do-able. I've done a few of them with mates and we've always had a good time – great atmosphere and not really that competitive an environment (there are a few mental teams that do them that always win!!).

sleepmonsters is a the adventure racing website that most AVers in the country use. Might be worth looking at a short off-road duathlon to try first like maybe 5k 20k 5k to get the feeling. Don'tworry about the kayaking – most of the kayaks used in the organised races are a bit crap and the effort required to kayak really well is silly. You never really lose or gain much time in them anyway.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think you have to factor in navigation as well, though I'm not sure if that applies to all of them.
    There's an outfit that does a series for beginers and coaching courses for the individual diciplines, you should find them on Sleepmonsters.
    You might be better off doing an off road duathlon involving purs xc running and mountainbiking.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

Ukmtbtri.co.uk i think ! Google it.. 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Helly Hansen ones you don't have to navigate! Oh and first time we went around in circles in our kayak! Briliant fun had by all! Be prepared though for complete NOVICE MTBers to get in the way and have NO CLUE about MTB etiquette… the if cycling versus pushing up a hill pushers jump out the way!!

AlasdairMc

The wan day in the Pentlands seems like your kind of thing too.

8 hours in total, of which around 5 is riding, 2 running and the remaining hour kayaking.

http://Www.scottishadventureracing.com

JamieMc
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and very useful website links. I have been at a bit of a loose end as to where to start the search so those are much appreciated. I'll be sure to keep the STW masses informed of my choice of entry, so i can get a few course pointers and inside info….

dobo
    Free Member

helly hansen adventure challenge things look ace, just need to coerce a team into trying one out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alternative triathlon?’ is closed to new replies.