Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alternative to pop-rivets?…
  • the-muffin-man

I’m fitting some new rear speakers to my car and the current ones are pop-rivetted in. I’ve drilled them out but ideally I don’t want to pop-rivet the new ones in (as for one I don’t have a gun – and I don’t know what size rivets I need so would probably by loads!).

Is there an alternative I can use – bearing in mind I can’t get to the back once the speakers are in place.

Ta!

richmars

Pop rivet gun is a useful tool to have, and should come with a few rivets to get you going.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Clip on captive nuts?

Or buy a cheap pop riveter and check the size and depth of the hole so you know which rivets you need.

RustyNissanPrairie

Spire nuts / clips are the fixing of choice for this application.

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for spire nuts or similar. There’s some basic pressed ones that take self tapping screws that are widely used in cars

georgecats_0
    Free Member

Spin the speaker slightly, and drill new holes in the doorframe, then use self tappers, or, drill the metal edge of the speakers themselves, straight through the metal door lining, then use self tappers?

submarined
    Free Member

Rivnuts!

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy a pop rivet gun. They are cheap and very very useful. It’s not suitable for every job, but when it is it’s fantastic. Pop pop pop done.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Spire nuts are exactly what I was thinking of when I said clip on captive nuts. That’s what I’d use, pop riveters are great but I’ve never seen them used on speakers.

kormoran
    Free Member

I just got myself a pop riveter but am having trouble rounding/flattening off the back of the rivet nice and neatly. Do I need a special tool for this?

Apart from that it’s a pretty exciting tool with lots of possibilities once I get confident with it

Tiger6791

Domehead aircraft rivets?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to pop-rivets?…’ is closed to new replies.