Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alternative to Mac Mail
  • thewanderer
    Free Member

Mrs Wanderer has a 2011 Mac Book Pro and has no end of trouble with Mac Mail for the various e-mail addresses she has (gmail, yahoo, POP3…).

As the tech support in the family (and with limited Mac experience) I’ve tried all sorts to get Mail running for all her accounts (deleting accounts, clearing keys, re-instating accounts, changing ports..) As soon as I get it running smoothly something else seems to go wrong.

Is there a better solution out there? She does have Office, so could use Outlook but I really don’t know much about macs.

Would appreciate some help. Cheers

the-muffin-man

You could try Mozilla Thunderbird and Opera do one as part of their browser package.

I always end up coming back to Mail though!

nickharv

What version of OS X are you running? I have a 2012 MBP and run Mac Mail connecting to Gmail, Outlook.Com, Yahoo and Virginmedia email accounts without any issues. Had more issues when I tried using Outlook.

Jamie
    Free Member

I use Airmail.

http://airmailapp.com/

£1.49 on the Mac App store and works very well with Gmail.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/id573171375?mt=12

DavidB
    Free Member

+1 on Airmail

curvature
    Free Member

As above I have run my Apple products with multiple mail accounts without any issues. All the devices sync together too.

Sorry I can’t offer any other advice but there must be something wrong.

fisha
    Free Member

I’ve tried a number of different apps in recent times for email, but as with the others, I tend to fall back to using mail.

The only thing that bugs me is the syncing, it seems to be a bit slow at getting new mail for me. Bent other than that, it has been the best of he bunch I’ve used.

smokey_jo

Another Thunderbird on a Macbook Pro user here.

Have a standard IMAP work account and a Yahoo account and all running fine

jam-bo

i have gmail working as a POP3 client for some old email accounts.

m360
    Free Member

Having switched from Outlook to Mac Mail (and Mac from PC), I couldn’t believe that all I had to do was type in my email address and password when I first opened Mail, and boom, Yahoo account done. No messing with pop forwarding addresses and all that rubbish. I now have 3 email accounts running in Mail and it works a treat.

Not sure what issues you’re having, but it could be worth popping in to an Apple store (book an appointment first), I find that they know their stuff and can usually fix things – for free!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use Mail and it works well with numerous accounts. That being said when Mavericks first came out there where a few issues.

Trying one of these others seems to be a cheap option (£1.50 is hard not to give it a whirl) given you don;t wish to mess with Mail but of course there is not guaranty you won’t have technical issues with another supplier.

Its not so convenient but you can acesss gmail / yahoo via their web mail pages

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thunderbird

thewanderer
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll try some of the above.

Problems seemed to be with IMAP and POP3 and occasionally gmail accounts going offline/not syncing. All working on the various ipads and iphones but not on the macbook

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Thunderbird here. Tried several, but nothing seemed to work well. Not totally happy with thunderbird either, but it works well enough for now.

andyfla
    Free Member

I use the mailbox app at the moment – bloody awesome as it allows you to swipe stuff out of the inbox straight into trash, archive or “come back later” – they are launching an osx version soon, could be worth keeping an eye out for

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Mac Mail’ is closed to new replies.