Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alternative to Cotic Roadrat
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My commuting bike is a Specialized Sirrus with full Tiagra bits. I like it, but I don’t love it. I’m eyeing up the Cotic Roadrat, but there are few things I don’t like, such as the cable guides on the head tube. I also don’t need disc mounts as I spent months tracking down a set of Tigra v-brakes and really like them.

What would people recommend as an alternative?
    The spec brief is:
    Steel frame
    Canti mounts (I could be swayed towards discs, but this tends to make bikes more attractive to the pikeys).
    Option to run single speed would be a nice, but isn’t essential.
    £300 max for frame and fork.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Kaffenback? Well under your budget too…They’re really nice bikes for the money

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

That’s the only alternative I’ve been able to find. Cannot believe there are not more options out there? Lots of manufacturers seem to be moving to disc only. Any recommendations for disc only steel frames?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Surly Cross Check surely a contender?

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m4b0s212p3636/SURLY_Cross_Check_Frameset

….although I had a drop bar RoadRat for a while and deeply regret selling it. Great bike.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

That’s a nice option…..

Northwind

Why are you leaning towards steel? I mean, I know what the idea is but I wouldn’t say my rat really feels any different from a typical inexpensive alu frame, it’s less comfy than my alu-and-carbon cross bike frame.

(I bought it because I was fed up of screwing up road bike sizing- I know I’m a Cotic medium. But it is unspectacular)

BadlyWiredDog

Soma Double Cross – but it’s out of your budget. There’s also a disc-compatible version, the Double Cross DC. Rides really nicely. If you do go for a Rat – or an X – and intend to use it off-road at all, be aware that the standard Road Hog forks are as stiff as dead otter, Cotic’s carbon forks are nicer ime.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Just a further thought but if you were committed to singlespeed then that opens up a few other options. A Pompino for one…. or (if you could find a UK dealer), one of these babies would be in budget:

http://windwave.co.uk/traitorsite/traitor-cutlass-pub.html

My money would still be on a Surly though. Their bikes are just so versatile and fun to ride.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

No plans to go offroad on it – got a Soul for that. I’m thinking of using the carbon fork of my sirrus. That double cross is very nice though…

Steel? I suppose because I’m finding my steel Soul a lot more comfortable that alu. Carbon has never really appealed. I am aware that the Soul is 853 steel though. I am making a mistake comparing the Soul to a Roadrat?

aP
    Free Member

Evans have a nice looking steel Jamis mudguard disc’d road bike. Don’t know what it’s called, but I think it’s on sale at the moment.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

What size you after mate?
    I’ve a 56cm cross check for sale- check my profile
    Size wise I would say good for between 5,10 to 6,1ish

honourablegeorge

woodlikesbeer – Member

I am making a mistake comparing the Soul to a Roadrat?

I’d say my Soul is “springier” than my Rat. Although with 2.4″ tyres on one and 42c on the other, I suspect my perception might be a bit off.

alpin
    Free Member

i was very tempted to buy one of these when i waas over in the UK a couple of weeks back for no other reason than it was a lot of bike for little money….

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_team.html

Northwind

woodlikesbeer – Member

I am making a mistake comparing the Soul to a Roadrat?

I reckon it feels more like a 456 or similar steel frame with lots of metal in it. Nothing wrong with that at all, it works well, but it’s not the marketing man’s steel feel.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips. I’ve now concluded I don’t want a Cotic Roadrat. Here’s my logic:

1) Roadrat won’t give me the magic steel feel that my Soul does
    2) Part of the reason for a Roadrat would be the option to go SS or fixie. So why don’t I just buy a cheap SS.
    3) Lowestoft is flat but very very windy so a geared bike could be very handy. Therefore keep the perfectly functional but boring Sirrus.
    4) SS will make me angry. Hopefully I will be all angried out by the time I get to work I will be more relaxed.
    5) Based on my post about bike songs the Charge Plug is cool.
    6) There I need a Charge Plug. (In black so I can deny that it’s a new bike to the wife and hope she doesn’t notice the missing gears.)

Anyone disagree?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Cotic Roadrat’ is closed to new replies.