Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alternative to a Gopro
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’d quite like a Gopro, but I can’t really justify the expense for something that I’ll probably play with occasionally then never watch the videos. Is there anything out there half decent for less (<£100) money?

Needs to be able to chest mount, and high frame rate (60fps) would be nice, at at least 720p.

nickjb
    Free Member

Check out the sj4000. Its a copy of a go pro but does lack a few functions. Generally gets good reviews. There are also cheap copies of this copy now!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QUMOX-SJ4000-Silver-Waterproof-helmetcam/dp/B00HHRFHG6

cookeaa

I like my Drift Cameras, mostly because they were cheap, I gave up on their proprietary mountings though because they’re a bit brittle, too expensive and very cheap go-pro compatible one’s are available on fleabay for pennies. apparently you can mount them chest style using the same kit as a go pro with an extended arm bit, it just sticks a bit further out, same goes for the Sony action cameras too I think…

flyingmonkeycorps

I have had a look at the SJ4000, but the lack of a proper 60fps mode is putting me off a little bit. The price is good though, especially if you order from some of the Chinese companies.

Drift HD is interesting for a bit under £100, would they be equivalent to a GoPro 1?

Sony also looks interesting, I nearly bought one when they were cheap on Argos a while back but didn’t ‘cos of the lack of chest mount.

nickjb
    Free Member

but the lack of a proper 60fps mode

What do you mean by that? It’ll do 60fps at 720p, just not 1080p

soma_rich
    Free Member

Veho Muvi’s are good and alot cheaper than GoPro

chrisr1983
    Free Member

The sj4000’s 60fps is actually 30fsp x2. In other words you see the same frame twice. Nasty.

flyingmonkeycorps

According to the internets, the 60fps mode on the SJ4000 isn’t “true” 60fps, it’s actually a bit of a software bodge that uses frame duplication and interpolation.

Maybe I should just buy a Gopro then sell it when I inevitably get bored…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Do you have an iPhone? If you just want to play with chest-mounted footage, a cheap(er) way to do it is to get a chest mount for your iPhone. I’ve done this for skiing and mountain biking.

nickjb
    Free Member

Wonder if the SJ5000 will be better.

bone_idle
    Free Member

I have my gopro for sale in the classifieds comes with the chesty harness mount too, have a look might be what your looking for.

beware the cheap cameras they dont stabalize the image like the GP does, I bought a Muvi 1080 and it was no good for MTB movies but fine on the road

flyingmonkeycorps

Got an Android phone, I guess I could try and chest mount that.

Dunno if there is an SJ500 as yet, there’s a 6000 but all it seems to add is WiFi – same sensor and processor as far as I can see.

Cheers for the offer bone_idle, I’m kinda swaying towards a new 3+ Silver – they’re coming in at £200, I already have a card for it (I think!) and do seem to be quite a big improvement over the older stuff, and definitely over the cheaper stuff.

The Sony would be tempting (I also nearly bought the Garmin jobbie t’other week) but I think I’d probably get annoyed with a bodged chest mount, and there’s not that much in it price wise.

bone_idle
    Free Member

The Sony is excellent my friend has one and the wifi transferes all the movies to your phone,its great for holidays in the bar after sking or biking having a beer and watching your antics from the day.

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye WiFi control would be a massive help too. And it’d be great for boring people in the pub after a ride!

I’m off to Iceland in a couple of weeks, I think I need to sort something before that.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

for low cost camera reviews look no further than this guys site.
    http://www.Techmoan.com
    Really good indepth reviews.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to a Gopro’ is closed to new replies.