Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Alternative suggestions to Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • andyxxx
    Free Member

I have a Santa Cruz Tallboy and think it’s fantastic.

I am about to start looking for a second bike and would appreciate suggestions bearing in mind my above comment!

No more than £3000

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Too vague, what do you want it for? for, what type of riding? Which area?

andyxxx
    Free Member

In the peaks, General cross country and mountain bike riding. No racing, no large jumps or drops but big ups and downs.

I want something similar to the Tallboy, as to me it seems a good ‘allrounder’

jonnyrockymountain

Turner czar

jolmes
    Free Member

SC Hightower? :p swap the frames over…

CheesybeanZ

Santa cruz ltc .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Canyon spectral 29er. It’ll make you realise that the likes of canyon are no less capable than top end bikes. I have both, but my canyon cost pretty much the same as my yeti frame only. Both great bikes.

rone

Had a Tallboy until the Czar surfaced. The Czar is the better bike and actually a bit cheaper IMHO. Pedals much nicer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hightower?
    Replacing or along side? If it’s alongside then it would be something a bit different – if you spend more than 10 mins deciding what bike to take then your bikes are too similar…

dday

I don’t get it, why do you want another bike that’s similar to the one you already have? I get the whole N+1 thing, but why not have something different, for that sort of money, the (bike) world is your oyster.

+1 for Canyon or Transition Smuggler..

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I don’t read any biking press and had never heard about the Turner Cza(which I guess is why I have posted on here)- it gets great reviews

The new bike is to go alongside.

Daft as it sounds it doesn’t need to be any different – as long as it is at least as good because I love the Tallboy and may even just buy a second one!!! – (I don’t do any bike maintenance and don’t want to (apart from hosing and oiling)so need a second bike for when the present one is in the lbs)

I spent loads on my previous bike and never liked it – hence the apprehension to change bikes for something too different

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Daft as it sounds it doesn’t need to be any different – as long as it is at least as good because I love the Tallboy and may even just buy a second one!!! – (I don’t do any bike maintenance and don’t want to (apart from hosing and oiling)so need a second bike for when the present one is in the lbs)

Daft? Batshit crazy more like it!! How long is the bike in the shop for? Generally if you book should be done within a day or 2 really!

turbo1397
    Free Member

Tallboy Ltc or a hightower if you like what your pedalling just now..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mike +1. Madness.

pete68
    Free Member

Pivot 429 maybe. I went from an older mk1 tallboy to one of these. Pedals better and the stiffer rear end seems faster on climbs too.

andyxxx
    Free Member

Mike

Not at all.

Even if the lbs could book the bike in foe repair straight away (which there is no chance at this time of year) and they had or could get the parts the following day (which is not always the case), It would probably mean missing at least two rides if I didn’t have a spare bike.

Brilliant I don’t need a spare bike because it will always go to plan:-

Tues eve ride – bike breaks
    Wed to bike shop (if a slot available)
    Parts arrive by Thurs (if in stock and they are delivered the following day)
    lbs do the repair during Thursday
    Collect bike for Thursday evening bike ride

I don’t think so!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well if you can afford 3k as a just in case go for it 🙂 I’ve got 3-4 mtn bikes all different which is great as I grab the one I want on the day. There is crossover in them but each is distinctively different so better at some stuff than others, though of a hard tail?

andyxxx
    Free Member

Mike

I have only ever been on a HT once, 7 years ago when I took up MTB (for a 3 hour ride) and hated it so I think I will stick to full sus

bigjim

Spend £100 on tools and give £2900 to charity

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you want one get one, who is anyone to say any different.

If you like the Tallboy, get another, that way your experience will be the same on both,

NZCol

LTc doesn’t ride the same in any way shape or form – I had both for a while (thanks SC for the sponsorship !). Preferred the TB for what I used it for.
    Personally I would get something similar but different – a carbon Highball with a dropper and some slightly oversized tyres. Similar fit to the TB i.e. i can ride large in both setup almost identially but a very different riding experience, great for winter as well.
    EDIT: If you last rode a hardtail 7 years ago when you first started I would honestly recommend that you reconsider, or just buy another Tallboy ti sit in your garage 99.8% of the time….(I have two though so who am I to talk)….

bennyboy1
    Free Member

It’s your money but I’m with the majority on here, if I was you I’d go for something slightly different – maybe the Tallboy and then a 100mm xc 29’er hardtail?

Also be aware that there will be a new Tallboy 3 released later this year so consider that for a new purchase if you’re happy to wait a few months. 💡

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks everybody (apart from Bigjim – what a ridiculous comment – I don’t want to do my own bike mechanics and am happy to pay my lbs and donate large sums to charity already)

TiRed

Personally I would get something similar but different

This.

Whilst I have only one mtb (a SS hardtail as it happens), I have five road bikes of different flavours. The best two are both race bikes, but have subtle differences that I like to appreciate. So I’d say LTc as well. More of the same but a slight change.

jonnyrockymountain

if your size large 5’9″-6′ then good deal here on an ex-demo
    http://www.silverfish-uk.com/ProductDetail/0/19206/Ex-Demo-Turner-Czar-Bike-Large-RRP-N-A-2999

yorkycsl
    Free Member

The obvious one would be as others have stated a Hightower then you can swap parts as you wish, also your familiar with the brand, buy a frame & choose parts accordingly.

I’m just building one up & really looking forward to it, first foray into 29erism but run a V2 Bronson too which is superb but waited a long time for the HT to come out.

Daffy

Ibis Mojo 3 with 650b+

Daffy
    bennyboy1
    Free Member

Like I said *cough* Tallboy 3 *cough*! 😉

br
    Free Member

On One Codeine.

29er but a bit more gnar and plenty of change left from £3k.

bigad40
    Free Member

I’d get something custom made by Shand just for me.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Alternative suggestions to Santa Cruz Tallboy’ is closed to new replies.