Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alternative Shimano XT chainrings!
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi All,

It’s time I replace my chainrings, cassette and chain as I’m getting chain slip as I’m pedalling hard which is very off putting!
    My question is, what are people using as an alternative to buying the OE Shimano xt rings (triple 9 speed)? I’ve seen that Superstar are now selling their triple chainring sets in different colours for 50 quid and wondered what the other options are with the main reason being to save money as the Shimano ones are clearly too expensive!

Thanks

CraigW
    Free Member
    alexpalacefan

Gotta be SLX from Rose.

Personally, I’ve tried rings other than Shimano (Middleburn) but found the shifting unreliable. It’s the Big S all the way for me 🙂

APF

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shimano Deore everytime.

Much cheaper than XT and made out of steel so last much longer and weigh fractionaly more. I’d keep with an XT cassette though, or maybe SLX

stayhigh

Superstar have just started selling chainrings again at a reasonable price for a set.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I use a deore steel inner, XT middle and cheapest alloy outer.

I ride a lot of hills so need a long lasting steel inner. The XT middle just seems to last forever and the outer is rarely used but the alloy seems soft and wears quickly.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Ta Specialtes Chinook, although not that much cheaper than Shimano. Shift very well and good longevity.

+1 for poor shifting with Middleburn rings.

Freester

Middleburn or TA are longer wearing than XT.

failedengineer

I’ll bet your outer ring won’t need replacing, they last for many years IME. Deore steel inner and middle. Try Merlin. Weight difference is irrelevant. Sorted.

z1ppy

Deore/SLX from Rose bikes, get your new cassette and chain @ the same time and save a bundle… you are going to replace the chain & cassette aren’t you?

I used Middleburn hardcote/slickshift for several years, and thought the shifting fine but decided their life was no longer than a std shimano ring. So what was the point in pay double the price of a set of deores.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Shimano XT chainrings!’ is closed to new replies.