Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alternative routes to Tuscany as the Frenchies are revolting
  • aP
    Free Member

As there’s a potential issue with managing to get enough fuel to do my planned trip down past Troyes, Dijon and then through the Mont Blanc tunnel, what other routes would people suggest?
    I’d prefer not to go through Switzerland.

london_lady
    Free Member

Just bumped up for the day shift 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Can you take spare fuel cans. Full tank leaving UK.

onehundredthidiot

Why’s there an issue?

Marin
    Free Member

Frenchies on strike/blockade. Good for them I say.

ocrider

Refineries are being blockaded by the CGT in protest against employment law reforms, so there has been a bit of overzealous stockpiling of fuel, leading to a general lack of petrol and rationing.
    Elle est belle, la vie 🙂

neilthewheel

If you want to avoud france altogether then netherlands, Germany, Austria to Innsbruck and the Brenner Pass?

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you want to avoid France and Switzerland you need to go a long way East and then cut through Austria 😯

Mate who does delivery driving often goes via Luxembourg (cheap fuel) then Germany to get to Milan but does cross Switzerland.

It is not as though there is NO fuel in France although its getting more tricky, a few days ago we got a full tank of “regular” unleaded but some garages have run out of certain grades and many have a €20-30 limit (although pumps don’t turn off they just get “upset” at cashier – return with gallic shrug 😉 )

I would keep an eye on the news, French government are now involved and understand how important tourism and half term is. I’ll ask Mrs B for an info website. I am confident they will supply major petrol stations, prices may be high though (was about €1.29 up till now)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Frenchies on strike/blockade. Good for them I say.

Only 1 Union the CGT, the other main Union agrees with the reforms. Not really good for 95%+ of the population

garage-dweller

Can you take spare fuel cans.

Not unless your car floats. IIRC no ferry company or the Chunnel would allow jerry cans and since you would need 10 little ones to fill a fuel tank it would stink out the car and be a serious crash / fire hazard.

Marin
    Free Member

Good for the other 5 though. I like their direct action approach rather that tut tut whine and moan.

Marin
    Free Member

Take one big can. They never search you on way out..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fly

wicki
    Free Member

France may be about to have their Thatcher moment!

jerseychaz

Apart from a couple of fuel stations on the autoroute that were short of diesel we haven’t had any issues from Brittany South to the Dordogne. A friend reports plenty of fuel in Normandy and East to Calais.

aP
    Free Member

Thanks, plenty to think about, will look to touch into Luxembourg for the cheap fuel, then see how we feel about the drive south. The vignette is chf40 (approx £28?)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good for the other 5 though. I like their direct action approach rather that tut tut whine and moan.

I very much doubt it will be good for anyone, as I said other Unions agree chnanges are necessary to deal with 25% youth unemployment and 8% general. Total have already said it has cost €45m and its nothing they can influence as its Hollande setting policy.

@ap yes vignette is 40 swiss – its well worth it as last time we tried back roads only it added 90 mins to a 3hr trip.

Marin
    Free Member

A swiss policeman told me to stick the vignette to the windscreen with clingfilm when I got caught wkth it sitting on my dash. I obeyed the law then passed it on to a mate later on.

Marin
    Free Member

Sorry jamby was listening more important stuff going on.
    Anyone take sugar?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Marin clingfilm 🙂 you have to congratulate the swiss on excellent design which falls apart if you try and remove it and genuinely good glue.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alternative routes to Tuscany as the Frenchies are revolting’ is closed to new replies.