Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Alternative Energy might kill us!
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just thinking about the alternative energy sources.

Wind Power – If we have loads of wind farms then there will be less wind blowing around and that will ruin our weather patterns

Geothermal – If we cool the centre of the earth it will set. As solids take up less space that the fluids the earth will shrink and we will have terrible earthquakes

Solar – By capturing and redirecting the heat from the sun we will cause global cooling and all die horribly.

Any other Daily Mail style explanations of why we are doomed?

GrahamS

Wind Power – If we have loads of wind farms then there will be less wind blowing around

No, no. A wind farm grows wind, just like wheat farm grows wheat.
    That's why they have those big fans. 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Graham – In that case they will speed up the rotation of the earth and centripetal force will throw us off into space!

GrahamS

Nah, they can just place every second one facing the other way 😀

robbo1234biking

Graham – In that case they will speed up the rotation of the earth and centripetal force will throw us off into space!

Why else do you think I sleep with my arms and legs strapped down! Its certainly not for comfort

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

just place every second one facing the other way

That will create a self perpertuating wind vortex and suck us all through the blade!

Have you no grasp of basic physics?

samuri
    Free Member

And if we grow algea, it will, incensed at being used as an energy source, break free from it's tanks and swarm across the earth like a green Tsumani.

robbo1234biking

Is this even relevant? I head there was a new documentary out in the cinema next week called 2012 that shows us how the world will end in 2012 as the Mayan calender ends then. So no need to worry really! Apparently it is really realistic!

coffeeking
    Free Member

As solids take up less space that the fluids

Solids dont necessarily take up less space than fluids. Ice is larger than the water frozen to form it.

samuri
    Free Member

water's magic though. innit.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Water's one of many liquids with hydrogen bonds that expand when freezing. Most others don't change any more than their normal thermal expansion coefficient.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If we use tidal energy it will extract energy from the Moon and it will eventually come crashing into the earth (well, sooner than it would otherwise)

binners

I'm working on a system to harness the power from all the hot air guffed out on internet forums. When I've finished, i reckon i could power the entire of the north of England purely through STW

samuri
    Free Member

isn't water also the only one that is most dense at 4 degrees C, or something? This is why the planet never entirely freezes during an ice age and permits defrosting.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay – looks like we 'might' be safe if we extract all the thermal energy and solidify the entire planet.

crazy-legs

I'm really hoping that no-one has actually written such stuff but now I've remembered a comment left on an online newspaper commenting on the plan to build offshore wind farms off Brighton and the person wrote something like "There's already too much wind at Brighton, we don't want a load of big fans blowing more"

[/despairs at the stupidity of others]

tankslapper
    Free Member

We're doomed!

phiiiiil

If we solidify the entire planet the magnetic field will disappear, birds will get lost and die and compasses wouldn't work – TJ will have to use a GPS to prevent getting lost in the wilderness!

epicyclo

I've made a shocking discovery, and we're doomed.

I went and checked the sea level today, then I looked at this topic. I checked the sea level again and it had risen.

Since then I have been monitoring the rise in sea level and it continues to rise in a direct corelation to the posts on this forum. It has already risen 1 metre today and is still rising.

On my computer I have modelled this data, and if this continues, then the sea will rise 400 metres in the next hundred days.

Please stop posting on this forum and we may be able to reverse this process.

I'm off to buy a house up a mountain. There's not enough time to build an ark. Oh woe!
    😆

skidartist
    Free Member

with no magnetic field and no compasses the North/South Divide with become, erm, undivided and the people of Watford will each be crushed to a near singularity. They'll need to be buried in tiny, tiny coffins which still require 6 staining pall bearers to lift.

So thats fine.

pitduck
    Free Member

😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

epicycho – You may just have saved the planet with your sage advice. I have checked the sea level a couple of times since your original posting and it is dropping again. Cancel the submarine order.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Energy might kill us!’ is closed to new replies.