Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alternative cycling related products…….hmmmmm.
  • romster
    Free Member

I am looking for feedback for my site if anyone fancies lending an idea or two? The short story is I am looking for something new, something different, something a little quirky to sell in accompaniment with what I already offer and it has to be cycling related, i may stretch to it being outdoor related if it is the right thing.

Things i have looked at so far.

Lights – Markets saturated with blow out deals already, unless i find me something spectacular i can see money going down the drain. (plus spokeshirts has already jumped on with that one and i am looking to be different) nice work mate.

Metal liquid bottles – Not sure this is what i am looking for, stumbled across some quite cool affordable deals but who drinks out of a metal bottle on the bike? Maybe off the bike when your walking, or something to take into the office? But then this pushes itself into the “gifts” category.

Hip flask – STW have already done it, and so have many others, not sure if i could offer a competitive price on said items. Again this maybe another gift item.

Beanies – not really an all year round item, which is something that i want the add on product to be, I can sell them at an affordable price but not sure how popular they would be. Potential contender if i can find something a bit different to whats available elsewhere.

Mugs – tee designs transferred onto mugs, maybe a birthday pressie, or xmas, but again didn’t really float me boat.

Baselayers – Again something spokeshirts jumped on (well done mate) but markets full of them from other brands, looked at a few different suppliers but again I can see this primarily being a seasonal item.

Anyway, this is what i have looked into so far, i have a few other ideas but I just can’t decide which path to take to minimise risk. I will bite the bullet after January and try something but what that something is i just don’t know right now. If it works, then great, if it doesn’t then hopefully if i have kept risk to a minimum imminent failure will not be upon my shoulders! 😯

Cheers!
    Andy

topangarider
    Free Member

Cheap cycling jerseys that sit somewhere between the baggy downhill crowd and the roadie style – all in eye-catching colours!!

Nothing worse than dull jerseys – or really baggy bright ones!

romster
    Free Member

There is a few brands out there already this is one aimed at roadies who don’t want to wear spray on clobber – Telegraph Cycling Clothing

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s not a product suggestion, but it’d be good if the big T-shirt to the left reflected the thumbnail one you were hovering over rather than having to click on them.

romster
    Free Member

It’s not a product suggestion, but it’d be good if the big T-shirt to the left reflected the thumbnail one you were hovering over rather than having to click on them.

I like! 😀 Cheers

crikey
    Free Member

TBH Andy, the things that catch my eye these days are the bits of stuff, the little things that make life more pleasant on a bike.

I look for Buff style things, socks; especially socks, I’m a bit odd about socks and they have to be right, then gloves, then base layers, hats of the beanie kind, arm warmers, leg warmers, oversocks, little bags to put mp3 players in then clip to the top of your bib shorts.

romster
    Free Member

Thanks crikey. I like the little mp3/iphone holder idea, will look into that one.

maccruiskeen

Cycling shorts or trousers that feature buttons, zips and belt loops instead of stupid **** press studs, stupid **** Velcro and stupid **** drawstrings.

A cycling helmet disguised as a fedora. I’ll buy one for tj for Xmas.

tthew

Does it have to be for use on the bike? There are loads of brands offering surfwear/casual wear cross over stuff, (fat face, O’Neill if they’ve not gone bust etc.)

What I’d like to see is the same sort of stuff available for cyclists that will be fashionable first, but functional enough for the short rides to the pub, shops, or just because you don’t want to go the full on sports gear route. Got to be a fairly large market for that too.

romster
    Free Member

Doesn’t really have to be for use “on” the bike, but it needs to be bike related! i’ve bitten the bullet and just put a design together for a beanie actually. No order placed yet but can see me ordering a few over weekend for friends/family to start off with.

I’m going to look into doing a jersey too, why not hey!!

101andy
    Free Member

Post Ride Gloves (Iphone / Ipad Friendly)

http://www.fsthandwear.com/en/informations/about-fst-handwear

These are sweet – I can put you in touch with the designer.

Andy

romster
    Free Member

I can put you in touch with the designer.

Contact!

Aye thank you 😀

soma_rich
    Free Member

Stem captain,
    Cliff bars

jameso

Ditto the mp3 player holder idea mentioned. I had a great one that fitted my old (rubbish) hydration pack well. I have a new, really great Osprey bag and the mp3 holder won’t fit it. Ar$e.

Universal mp3 holder for all hydration packs, in colours or with added fiver storage. Cheap to make, high usefulness value to many riders.

romster
    Free Member

When you say “fitted” your hydration pack, where did it fit? Do you mean via some sort of clip?

jedi

printed over shoes?
    packs of printed socks with custom design
    padded under shorts with custom waistband (think calvin klien but whatever soemone wants)

🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Right now for me it would be gloves. Getting a bit frustrated that another pair of £20 gloves has fallen apart so quickly. Following on from the thread on here I’ve just bought a set of Kuny’s which look like standard mtb gloves but hopefully as they are designed for the building trade will be much tougher.

Maybe you could look for non bike kit that is suitable/better than standard stuff and sell that.

Builders gloves, safety glasses are the two that spring to mind.

jameso

When you say “fitted” your hydration pack, where did it fit? Do you mean via some sort of clip?

you’re the product guy.. where / how would you fit it? ; )

This one had a velcro wrap-strap so it went on / around the main shoulder strap, like a police radio position. A simple velcro flap top, a small padded pouch and a strap to attach it. I think Crumpler make similar items and there’s loads of them made in the far east. Most hydration packs can be improved for ease of on-the-move access to ipods, energy bars, phone etc by adding a pouch like this somewhere that suits the user.

Some nice t’s on the site btw.

If it’s low-cost soft goods you’re after, I made a 40mm webbing + plastic clip-buckle belt for my annoyingly-loose at the waist but otherwise comfy MTB shorts recently. Well useful and light / comfy / durable. Could be printed with logos or slogans quite easily I think.

romster
    Free Member

Some interesting feedback I’ve gained here and all valuable so cheers everyone. The more I think about the iPhone gloves the more I think it could be a hazardous addition, does anyone else? Thanks for compliments re the t’s I’ve worked hard this time around getting a varied range on there and have another couple in the pipe line similar to the Live fast ride hard design! 🙂

romster
    Free Member

Well I’ve bit the bullet and gone down the Headwear route. Two styles of Beanie, one design. Check them out here. Thanks for all the feedback everyone it contributed to my decisions! 🙂

Anyone wants a discount code to use for one then drop me an email through the site!

Thanks again all!! 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alternative cycling related products…….hmmmmm.’ is closed to new replies.