Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alternative Camelbak bladders at a reasonable cost
  • Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Having had a little shock at the cost of replacement Camelbak bladders, I’m wondering has anyone found a good replacement bladder alternative?

Looking to shove it in my commute rucksak, so anything’ll do.

All alternatives considered, especially resonably priced ones.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

do you actually need to replace one? They have a lifetime warranty…

bluebird
    Free Member

I swapped over to the Dakine one, much easier to fill – like this

Not sure they’re any cheaper, mind.

honourablegeorge

Mu local army surplus store do Gelert ones for less than a tenner, and they’re perfect.

Garry_Lager

Decathlon were doing 2L camelbaks (the brand, not their own ones) on offer at the weekend – I bought one but can’t remember the exact price – it was just a bit more than the bladder on its own. £25 maybe.

BigJohn

Sometimes Tesco have hydration packs for less than a tenner

mtbfix

OK so the Antidote bladders are not cheap but there are none better. Costs the same as a tyre these days and will last ages if looked after.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Blimey, some great options there – never thought about the army/navy store angle.

Don’t need to replace mine (although one does have a leak, to be fair, thanks for the heads up on the warranty) but rather stick a new one in my Dakine rucksack (a proper one, not a snowboardy hydration one).

Thing is, I can’t bring myself to pay £30 for a bladder when, as Garry says, whole new Camelbaks are about that in places.

Baldysquirt

so far very impressed with the Osprey bladder I got to replace my ageing camelbak. Seems good quality, easy to use and the stiffer structure makes it very easy to stuff into a pack. Even the bite valve seems to have as good a flow. Can be found for around £25 which isn’t too bad. Made by Nalgene so should last well.

binners

Sportd Direct have some Karrimor ones in here which are as good, if not better than the Camelbak originals at nowhere near the price.

They have them in stock if you’ve got a branch nearby

mrodgers
    Free Member

Karrimor bladders are £9 for 3 litres or £7 for 1 litre here: http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-hydration-bladder-787045?src=google (same price on amazon too), slightly thinner plastic than camelbak ones but otherwise they seem pretty much identical. Even come with a cover to stop the bite valve getting muddy.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

AS mentioned Tesco do a WHOLE camelbak with bladder and bag for about £11 I saw hundreds going past at BBF!!!

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Perfect, thanks mrodgers! 2 3l bladders ordered 🙂

Anyone got a link for the Tesco one? I’ve had a little search but couldn’t find any?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

http://m.tesco.com/mt/www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-hydration-rucksack-6l-black-red/100-0611.prd

Hope this works…trying to cut and paste on phone!!

Edit..just seen it says unavailable but that was the one.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Get a source bladder recently

but even more interestingly, it came with a source “UTA”

which plugs on the end of the tube so you can fill it up from a tap or bottle

ferking genius!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Got a Lezyne , Camelbak and Gelert bladders, prefer the Lezyne but it is a ziplock seal and if you don’t get it right…Gelert one inc the backpack was only £20 and it was good VFM.

binners

Lezyne bladders are utter shite!!!! Mine went straight in the bin after a couple of rides, after it would it inevitably come ‘unzipped’ and leak all over your back.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

As long as you don’t do what Binners does and leave what’s in them to go that stagnant and rancid that it makes the bag its in the clothes that are in the bag and the whole of your chicken smell like sick for a week you’ll be fine with whatever you use.

*health tip* if you don’t want to be drinking in black mould don’t NOT empty and clean your bladders after use……..

That’s all I have to say on the matter :o)

bagpuss72
    Free Member

chicken??????????? should have been kitchen flamin spell check on phone!!!!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Wondered why the chicken was smelling! Don’t put anything other than water in it too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Camelbak bladders at a reasonable cost’ is closed to new replies.