Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alternative bike to this for tall comutting man?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.advanced.2/24965/90513/

I can get for £1149.

Giant and specialized I find are the best to fit my 6ft 4inch body. For the money I don’t think it can be beaten. I was just wondering if there were others out there? The tall stem and long top tube are essential for me.

madeupname
    Free Member

Are you ditching the Arkose?

jacob46
    Free Member

yes mate its on ebay.

just type arkose 4 and it should come up.

ampthill

Interesting. I’m 6 foot 4 and not use to drops. Well not at the moment. I tried an Arkose at the weekend. Felt too low at the front for me. Giant seem to come out well on stack and as you know Giant and Specialized are good on sizing (as lots of different sizes). It looks good value that bike. An alloy diverge with Tiagra is around that price

Canondale have similar geometry buts its more for a Synapse Carbon 105 and you loose the discs

The GT grade has a tall front but is way more for similar spec

The genesis datum is 1800 for a Tiagra build

So I think its top value. Unless you go to the buy direct people like Planet X. But they tend to be lower at the front

jacob46
    Free Member

Ampthill thank you!!
    Could not put it better myself. You do get a lot of bike for your money with giant and the sizing is true and generous.

Think I’ll just order one and be happy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you’d want another drop bar road bike if you can’t get on with drop bars and a low front end….

Why not just save a load of money and get something with flat bars?

jacob46
    Free Member

Ampthill thank you!!
    Could not put it better myself. You do get a lot of bike for your money with giant and the sizing is true and generous.

Think I’ll just order one and be happy.

MarkE25

Might not be ‘racy’ enough for you, but I’ve just got a kinesis cross light 5t. I’m also 6’4″ and I’ve found the 63cm frame great in terms of having a higher front end. I previously had a genesis vapour, but this has a lower front end and I felt too hunched up. 18 bikes in hope are currently
    Doing kinesis cross wheels for £150 if bought with a kinesis frame, so a complete build should
    Be possible for a similar price to the giant.
    Hope that helps
    Mark

funkrodent

I’m 6’4″ and have the Kinesis Racelight, great bike, very versatile, very comfortable and very quick…

TooTall
    Free Member

I’m surprised that you find Giant roomy. I can’t get on with their bikes at all. Here’s some stack and reach for tall people.

https://cyclingabout.com/list-of-xxl-xxxl-bikes-for-tall-cyclists-62-63-64cm/

ampthill

Too tall great link

bigjim

6’5″ and I comutt on a 15″ dirt jump bike 😈

markgraylish
    Free Member

6’4″ and commute on a 61cm Kona Jake…granted, it’s not very racy..

Edit: I hate bikes with enormous head tubes which makes them look like farmyard gates and my Jake looks great to my eyes, as does my other road bike (a 60cm Cannondale Speedsix)

TooTall
    Free Member

I hate bikes with enormous head tubes which makes them look like farmyard gates

You shortarses are entitled to your small world view! Us tall chaps are mostly happy if both wheels are on the ground and we can pedal it without contorting. Very few bikes look bad when you’re riding them.

jacob46
    Free Member

Tootall how tall are you please?

ampthill

Surey its function over appearance for a bike

Although you can sort of hide the head tube length but keeping the top tube and down tube fairly close

The largets version of this has a stack of about 65cm

ton
    benp1

I’m 6’3 and ride an XL arkose, found it to be fine size wise

What aspects of it didn’t you get on with OP?

avdave2

Well it’s a very nice bike, I’ve got the same model myself, but I wouldn’t really think of it as an ideal commuter. The new Giant mudguards they make for it do a very good job but it’s got no provision for a rack so your going to end up carrying stuff on your back. It is comfortable though, on rough roads with 25mm tyres it’s a far better ride than my Croix de Fer despite it’s 35mm tyres.
    Can’t really comment on fit though as I’m 5’6″ and riding a small.

jacob46
    Free Member

Ampthill those break calipers are massive and ugly. Can you hide them?

TooTall
    Free Member

Tootall how tall are you please?

I’m 6’7″. Currently riding a 23″ Turner Sultan and a 72cm Cannondale tourer. I plan on getting a tiny 66cm Soma Extra Smoothie and swapping over the components from the Cannondale, just for a more modern frame. 1980’s aluminium frames are a little harsh for this old man!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alternative bike to this for tall comutting man?’ is closed to new replies.