Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Alternating wheelsets? Sunn UN/Elitis hubs
  • oldbaldbloke
    Free Member

Been lurking for a while, using the forum as a resource for a pretty steep learning curve.

Treated myself to a new bike (first one in 32 years!) and thinking of going tubeless. The only downside i can see is not being able to run different tyres for different days/surfaces/weather conditions etc. British weather and terrain can be changeable and running the same tyre combination every day (even in the summer) doesn’t make sense to me.

The best solution for me would be to have 2 sets of wheels.From what I have read, keeping the hubs and cassette the same would only require small adjustment when switching over, which I don’t mind. Is this correct or are manufacturing tolerances so loose that even “identical” setups need major adjustment

Sourcing the sram 10 speed cassette is no problem to find but my hubs are not made any more. They are Sunn UN/Elitis SL I believe (although not badged that way).Does anyone know a source for these/ have some lying around/ found some on the web? If not, are there alternatives which will give me a better chance of achieving an easy switch over.

Am I overthinking this? Are all components set to run 475mm and 500mm chainlines etc and lining up brake discs etc is simple.

I know that this has been touched on before but no definitive answer seemed to come of it. Basically is it worth doing?

Thanks for reading.

poltheball
    Free Member

Unless I’m misunderstanding you, I think you’re overthinking it.

The only thing that matters as far as the hubs go is that they are the same spec axle (Front axle will be 100mm wide and either 9,15 or 20mm diameter, Rear will be 135×9, 135×10, 142xwhatever or 150xwhatever; both could also potentially be bolt-through, depending on how old your current hubs are).

So long as your spare set of wheels have same axle specs as your current ones you’ll be fine.

As far as cassette goes, if you’ll not be switching the cassette over every time just buy two identical ones so that the smallest and largest cogs have the same number of teeth on each; this means you don’t need to faff around with your mech to improve shifting each time you switch wheels.

Does that answer your question, or have I missed the point completely? 😆

oldbaldbloke
    Free Member

As i thought, overthinking it as usual. Cheers for the clarification!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Alternating wheelsets? Sunn UN/Elitis hubs’ is closed to new replies.