Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Altberg boots- experiences
  • hora
    Free Member

Does anyone have these? What are they like for mixed-use, grip, wet rock/grass/cross-country use or other use etc? Any negatives?

They are quite pricey but as with Mammut that cost me a fortune- Im still wearing their kit from ten years ago and Altberg also offer a resole service which gives me confidence.

Bregante

Mine aren’t so much for walking but I have a pair that I’m issued with for a particular role at work and they’re fantastic. I’ve regularly had them in shite and filth in all weathers and I can and have worn them for 12-15 hr shifts without issue. They’re like slippers!

That’ll be £950 please. 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

I suspect I’m in a similar position to the chap above; I’ve got some for work, and they’re wonderful. Mine are brown, but if you use brown polish on them then they’ll go red. You’re much better off with AltBerg’s own wax.

That said, I’ve not worn mine too much just yet. I’ve been doing a different job for a while, for which I’ve been wearing Lowas and Meindls.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got me through a few courses while I was in the Army.
    Never had any dramas with them.

yosemitepaul

Altberg, I spent a good part of a career in those boots, they were brilliant. The fit was like slippers and until each pair were knackered retained water resistance.
    Even sent a pair away for new soles. They came back like new.
    Now have a pair of walking boots (Mallerstangs). They are as good as the pro boots. I wouldn’t hesitate but recommend them.
    They’re British too. Hand made in Richmond.

deft
    Free Member

The current issue Altberg boots that might appear in surplus channels are made in China so be aware of that

hora
    Free Member

Thank you for the heads up- They’ll say this on the label hopefully? I’d be buying direct from Altberg.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Excellent boots. Double check the position on resoling. I had an email from them a while ago stating they were stopping doing it due to unrealistic expectations from customers.

wrecker
    Free Member

I wish Brittons were still going. I loved the pro boot.

deft
    Free Member

You can’t buy the Chinese-made boots direct so you’ll be fine there

hora
    Free Member
    santacruzsi
    Free Member

I got issued a pair for work duties also; worn them all year round for long periods and they’re comfortable and warm. One of most comfortable pairs of boots I’ve had. Good service from Altberg too.

ElShalimo

Their walking boots are made in Europe (Italy or Spain I think).

My wife has had a pair of Fremington boots for 7 years and have been brilliant. She’s also got the Mallerstang for winter walking and again they’re great.

I’ve just bought some Tethera boots and find them very warm due to the Sympatex liner but I’ve got hot feet. Very good quality boots but you’ll need to go to a decent shop to get fitted.
    Mountainfeet in Marsden will help you out

13thfloormonk

Got a pair of Tetheras, been bagging a few Munros in them for the past three or four months.

Bought them for the durability and waterproofness of a one piece leather upper.

They’ve been amazingly waterproof so far. Wouldn’t say they were the most comfortable boot I’ve had, the fit seems good but they are rigid and stiff compared with a more flexible fabric boot. Think I’ll need to learn to apply the moleskin in advance for the big days.

davetrave
    Free Member

Just as a balance to the “they’re awesome” trend…

First pair I had were awesome, worn continuously for 2 years including 6 months bog trotting through the leather rotting peat of South Armagh. Sadly some cretin nicked them out of my comfy box on the return from that tour. The pair that replaced them were less than awesome – they just absolutely refused to break in so I ended up getting rid and going back to issue until a couple of years ago when I started using the AKU Pilgrims – fantastic straight from the box, perfect fit and useable for both work, in the field, and civvy walking; in camp it’s jungle boots or Meindls.

If you do decide on Altbergs, either go direct, to Richmond, or I’d highly recommend a visit to Si at Mountainfeet in Marsden.

deft
    Free Member

Second AKU Pilgrims – lightweight fabric boot up top, but with a stiff sole and huge rand to take a beating.

It’s hard to go wrong with the usual Altberg/Lowa/Meindl selection mind you, in my experience they all just fit slightly differently. Hanwag are my holy grail leather boot.

peekay

Had a pair of “sneakers” that I used for work for a few years. Had them resoled a couple of times. I put them through a lot of grief and they did me very well.
    I bought them from the factory in Richmond, if you are up there or can make an excuse to get there it is definitely worth a visit.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have size 14 feet it was a joy to go the factory and have a choice .£180 boots fit like slippers out of the box straight up Helvellyn the next day and not a blister in sight .They told me they do resoling .Highly recommended and they were busy for the hour and a half I was there selling about 8 pairs all in 180+ price range

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I have a pair of Tethers, bought direct from the factory. Fitting was awesome, huge choice of widths and styles done by someone who know what they’re talking about.
    They’re dead comfy, waterproof, lightweight and perfect for their main use of bimbling up and down lakeland fells and yomping around Northumberland.

Get some.

failedengineer

I’ve got a pair of their bike boots. The gearchange pad is leather and wore through quite quickly. Altberg said the only way that they could repair it was to totally dismantle the boot at a cost approaching that of another decent brand. Comfy while they lasted, though.

Duffer
    Free Member

Have people had good experiences of re-sole ing? Shirley they’ll need breaking in all over again…?

thorpie
    Free Member

The go to boots for most police officers!

mt
    Free Member

There very popular in Swaledale and around Catterick, not sure why. The boss man at the company can sing a pretty good folk song given a pint, his guitar playings not bad either.

Edric64
    Free Member

The upper is the bit you break in not the sole

jimslade
    Free Member

I’ve got the jungle boots, the unlined ones. Super comfy, they were to replace a pair of Danner boots that started to leak. The Altbergs are designed to get wet and then dry quickly, but I use them with a pair of Sealskinz socks in the wet. They are more comfortable than the Danners, and there’s no lining to start leaking.

finbar
    Free Member

Got issued a pair very recently – not sure if they are the Chinese ones mentioned above? – and they were flimsy and at the same time hard in all the wrong places around my heels. Ouch!

duckman

Hora,I have a pair of the Tethera hiking boots rather than the military version. They are really good and come in three width fittings. Take a wee bit of breaking in,but worth every penny,they are a good three season boot and are light for a leather boot.As such still completly waterproof as well,but I use good ole dubbin! Look out for their fitting events at big stores near you,worth the wait

somouk
    Free Member

I wear Warrior 2s as a field boot and road marching boot. Lasted really well, have taken some real abuse too in the mountains and not given up.

No blisters from them at all.

SimonR

Got a pair of Mallerstangs which are very comfy. Plenty of support on rough terrain but still fine if you ever end up on tarmac at the end of a long day.

First pair of boots I’ve ever had with both enough width in the front and a good fit at the heel – having all the width fittings made getting a good fit pretty easy.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I have a pair of warriors too, only had them since may so can’t give a long term review, they are comfy and warm but not as comfy or grippy as my army gore tex jobbies which are much cheaper and would take some beating bang for buck.

pedropete

Motorcycle boots here – most comfortable, most waterproof I have owned. MC boots you can actually walk in, still going strong since 2001.

hora
    Free Member

‘Made in EU’, that will imply Italy or Spain then? (The model that I’m looking at)

cozz
    Free Member

they are awesome

ive worn them 98% of days for the last 5 years

got some bergen ones for winter

jungle boots for summer

also some suede jungle boots

call in at the factory shop in richmond (its worth the trip) everytime i drive through on way to scotland

always bargains to be had (cos im a midget size 7.5, and my brother is a size 5) so get some great deals

like slippers out of the box !!!!

cozz
    Free Member

they have manufacturing for some models in italy

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Duffer – Member
    Have people had good experiences of re-sole ing? Shirley they’ll need breaking in all over again…?

Duffer – Member

Eh? You don’t break in the soles…. 😳

Duffer
    Free Member

When i put my boots on, i can feel how the sole has moulded to the shape of my feet. If the sole were changed, this would obviously be lost.

I’m only asking out of interest; when mine wear out, they’ll get replaced.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Altberg boots- experiences’ is closed to new replies.