Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • alright, own up! which one of you was it?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I was commuting through Belmont, on my way to Leatherhead this morning, when I got stuck in traffic outside a school.

Overheard a kid about 5 say, “Daddy, is that a good bike?” (pointing at my Ribble).
    “Yeah, it’s alright.”, the father replied in a less than enthusiastic tone.

It has to be one of you lot!

I don’t know, you can’t even ride to work without being subjected to STW criticism. At least he didn’t berate me for the state of the grass verge or the untidy white lines on the road.

Dave

DezB
    Free Member

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ribbles are pretty naff though.

You wouldn’t catch me on one.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Yeah – especially the blue and white ones. Proper naff.

wwaswas

You wouldn’t catch me on one.

that’ll be your superhuman strength and epoxyed disk mount making you unbelievably fast, then?

😉

binners

“Yeah, it’s alright.”

Surely that counts as an almost pant-wettingly excitable endorsment around this place 😀

alfabus
    Free Member

Ribbles are pretty naff though.

bloody cheek… my blue ribble is the height of fashion!

Dave

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I hope your tube valves were lined up.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Ribble are the Vauxhall Astra of the bike world.

stumpy01

HA HA!! DId you get your bombers out?

I left my bike with a mate at High Lodge (Thetford) while I went to buy cake & coffee.

While I was in there, my mate overheard two blokes discussing my bike & they decided that apparently the frame of my Stumpjumper was just ‘metal sprayed to look like carbon fibre’……! Oh, the shame!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Apparently the ‘weave’ on carbon fibre is not real anyway – it is an effect they put on to make it look like a fibre – so essentially anything carbon fibre is just made to ‘look’ like carbon fibre.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I had a similar comment about my carbon Scott. They shut up when I flicked the frame and said ‘I even shaped to tubes to sound like carbon too”

stumpy01

Apparently the ‘weave’ on carbon fibre is not real anyway – it is an effect they put on to make it look like a fibre – so essentially anything carbon fibre is just made to ‘look’ like carbon fibre.

Eh?? I thought carbon fibre sheets that are ‘laid-up’ in moulds are just like woven bits of fabric? All of the CF bits at work are pretty industrial and show a definite ‘weave’. They don’t have cosmetic layers as far as I know.
    I know there are other CF manufacturing techniques that don’t look like a ‘mat’ of the stuff, but a lot of it does.

My Spesh frame definitely has some kind of cosmetic top layer (whether real CF or not), as it disappears down by the BB. Perhaps it is sprayed on!?

I’ll ask the bloke downstairs next time I’m down there. He used to work for a high-end CF component manufacturer.

andyl
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Apparently the ‘weave’ on carbon fibre is not real anyway – it is an effect they put on to make it look like a fibre – so essentially anything carbon fibre is just made to ‘look’ like carbon fibre

WTF? Do you believe that is dissolves in the rain too? lol

hopefiendboy

do boardman bikes lie in the same category as this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘alright, own up! which one of you was it?’ is closed to new replies.