Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • alps …where to go dilemma
  • nobbyq
    Free Member

rite guys am going to alps in 3 weeks , am looking to camp so would like to ride out the campsite and not have to drive , not into or got the bikes for dh trails , just want lovely single track !!! please help am baffled as theres so many posts on this ! thanks in advance !!! 😀

fotorat
    Free Member

Don’t go then,

I just got back from a week in morzine, took a fs 150mm bike which was totally unsuitable, on the first day I cooked my 160 rotors, and had to get 200mm fitted while I was there,

I have mavic 819 rims, and I was in the bike every night getting them trued up.

For the last 2 days I hired a gt fury which was perfect nothing broke on that.

Even the easy runs were equiv to red uk runs

I did the passportes du soliel 2 days in a row, next year I will just take my dh bike

nobbyq
    Free Member

did u do the DH runs ??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    emmodd
    Free Member

I was in Les Gets a month ago with my yeti and 180/160 rotors and had no such problems.Your bike will be fine.

mrhoppy

Bourg FTW, loads of singletrack descents as opposed to the flat out downhills.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just had a week in Meribel/3 Valleys on a 140mm Stumpjumper Comp.

Absolutely fine. Rode downhill all day every day, no broken parts or buckled wheels (and I’m 14 stone)

(couple of sets of brake pads, but that’s it)

We were riding Singletrack descents rather than “stormtrooper” DH though. Which there is plenty of.

therag
    Free Member

I had a few days last week in morzine , les gets, chattel and morgins? On a 140mm zesty with 180mm rotors, had a bit of rear brake fade but a squirt from the camel pack sorted it. It was very rough with braking bumps but I didn’t find anything my bike couldn’t do. Me on the other hand found a few chicken runs but I would have done on a bigger bike too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bough St Maurice +1 for singletrack.

professor_fate
    Free Member

Do you want to use lifts or your legs… most lifts should be open when you’re there, but Chamonix has restrictions then. Whatever bike you take i’d really recommend 180mm brakes (at least on the front) and rims that are happy with big-volume rubber – other than that anything is good for trailriding there. If you hit Les Gets/Morzine be aware that pretty much everyone is on dh rigs but get away from the rat-runs and a trailbike makes more sense. The Morzine campsite is a bit out of town with a short climb to the lifts so factor that into any thoughts. Les Arcs is ace with a good campsite in Bourg-St-Maurice next to the funicular and supermarche (with free wi-fi!).

nobbyq
    Free Member

thanks guys all comments tips appreciated , was looking at camping in bourg !!chapaking where did u ride from bourg ? thanks

chakaping
    Free Member

Do a search on here for Les Arcs trails. Been loads of them lately

alpin
    Free Member

re, first posts…. have i logged onto pinkbike?

wl
    Free Member

“just want lovely single track” That would most definitely be Verbier, then. If at all possible, with http://www.bikeverbier.com to show you all the very best backcountry stuff away from the resort.

superfli
    Free Member

Camping in Bourg – Say Hi to Jean Francois from Dave!
    Les Arcs will fit the bill perfectly. Do the marked trails and mix them up with any footpath you may see along the way. All good.

As for bike:
    150/160mm travel bike is perfect imo. I was on a Heckler with Revs, 180 rotors, organic clarks pads, fitted in April and still had a tiny bit left on the back after a week – inc DH’ing in Pila in wet. I depends on how you use your brakes as well as weight, mine never faded once (5 year old mini monos). Bike did take a battering though, recommend you take a spare mech hanger. Bike shops in Bourg, behind SuperU has lots of spares inc hope pads, no more expensive than UK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As above Bourg/Les Arcs/Tartanese Valley as a whole.

For the guy who broke everything in Morzine – wrong bike wrong trail? The alps is bigger and better that the PDS area.

Some vids on my profile vimeo link of what we did around the area last summer.

Would look at Les Arcs for a few days (with guide) St Foy up the road, La Thuile over pass. There is plenty to be had in all of those resorts and better than doing repeats in 1 place all week. Little bit of driving but worth it

bradbird
    Free Member

Hi All, me and a friend will be in Verbier between the 16th and 19th of August and are looking to join other riders for some single track / XC type rides. I’ve been before with a guide and it was epic, but we’re on a budget this time around. Anyone in Verbier around those dates that knows the area and is happy for a pair of tag alongs?

mudsoul
    Free Member

I went to Chatel last summer and did a bit of everything (guided XC rides and a few days doing the lifts in Pre Le Joux bike park and others ). I had one bike, a Marin Mount Vision 5.8 with a 130mm fork and 160mm rotors and after a week of really good riding, all I needed to replace was my rear tires (sidewall cut) and brake pads.

Of course riding styles and terrain conditions will vary, but don’t believe anyone who tells you that you can’t have fun in the Alps expect on a DH bike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘alps …where to go dilemma’ is closed to new replies.