Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alps Tyres / E13 TRS / Trail Kings
  • v666ern
    Free Member

Sorry sorry sorry

Have my first Morzine trip in a month and my mate are suggesting i get dual ply’s. Is it worth it to change over from my existing Trail kings, they seem decent for here do i need dual ply?

Quite like the TK’s, like Hans Dampf also, never got on with High rollers so i have an illogical aversion to maxxis. Really fancy the new E13’s but dont know anything about them 😳

Other suggestions?

Wheels on the ground uplift trail riding btw.

thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends…
    With DP you won’t get (as many) punctures… Nothing is harder than the UK just can be faster and more repeated.

I wouldn’t bother with a performance compound as you will probably trash them in a week.

My vote (same as always) Minions 🙂

v666ern
    Free Member

So Minion DHR rear, DHF front? 2.3 or 2.4…so many ruddy questions!

Any other suggestions…magic mary’s?

Have BPW monday so id better get a set fitted, trying out there would be the closest id get to france im betting

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m running DHF up front with Ardent rear but that’s my preference. Think the DHRII is the better rear. Both in 2.5.
    I’ve stuck with Maxxis for a lot of years now and never felt let down, local mates all started trying the MM’s, HD’s etc. and are now just about all back on Maxxis. The 60a will last a good week out there of a lot of abuse. I think I totalled a set of ST’s in not much over a week

johnhe

I think it depends on which trails you plan to ride, and on which bike. If you’re spending the week sessioning the downhill trails on a downhill bike, then dual ply sounds good.

Personally, I tend to spend a few days on the DH trails but also tend to take a few days to ride more “normal trails”, so I’ve never used dual ply and have never once wished that I had.

chakaping
    Free Member

There are a few in-between enduro options at about 1kg now like Schwalbe’s Supergravity or WTB’s Tough carcass, Maxxis also do a “Doubledown” carcass but not sure if they are on sale yet.

I’d go for one of those on the rear – maybe a Rock Razor or Trail Boss, with your existing tyre on the front (as long as it’s not a flimsy carcass).

v666ern
    Free Member

160mm fs, will just be ‘normal trails’ though, my mates have been every year for the past 10 so wont be ‘going large’

raisinhat
    Free Member

These days I always go for a dual ply on the back at least, and something tough on the front. It’s not massive hucks that do them in, it’s more like battering it into a rock garden just a little bit wrong. Supergravitys seem to hold up well, I’ve seen a fair number of exos get little cuts or slices that just won’t quite seal. For the sake of hassle free riding, especially if its almost all on the lifts, a DP on the back is worth it.

Make sure it’s non sticky compound though. Last time all I could get was a 3C DHRII and it went from brand new to ruined within a week.

Also tubeless is a must, unless you enjoy fixing pinched tubes constantly, or running 40 psi.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think it depends on which trails you plan to ride, and on which bike. If you’re spending the week sessioning the downhill trails on a downhill bike, then dual ply sounds good.

Personally, I tend to spend a few days on the DH trails but also tend to take a few days to ride more “normal trails”, so I’ve never used dual ply and have never once wished that I had.

This.

If you’re planning on spending days uplifting and riding the fast, blown-out, brake-bumped-to-death, open trails like Pleney and Super Morzine, then yes – go dual.

If you’re planning to pedal places and hit slower stuff and windy singletrack then a set of beefy XC/trail/enduro tyres should be fine.

strawb3110
    Free Member

3 years ridng in Les Arcs here, rode rubber queens and trail kings (protection) for the first 2 years, changed up front to a Magic Mary (snakeskin trailstar I think) last year, all seemed fine and no major issues.

v666ern
    Free Member

Thanks all – everyone else in my group looks to be on minion’s too so ill grab some of those.

In terms of grip compound though and raisinhat’s comments am i supertacky or maxxgrip – is it maxx grip front and tacky rear?

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/MAXXIS-MINION-DHF-MTB-650B/352

raisinhat
    Free Member

Supertacky is the softest compound all over, so that would go on the front.

3C Maxxterra uses the supertacky rubber on the shoulders only, and has a (slightly) harder one in the centre, so that would go on the back.

The 3C is still pretty soft though, and honestly I’d use it front and rear, simply because the slightly harder centre knobs keep their edge a bit longer on the front, so they give a good braking edge for longer.

v666ern
    Free Member

Tyres bought – thank you all, knew i could rely on you lot

zelak999
    Free Member

v666ern – Member

Tyres bought – thank you all, knew i could rely on you lot
    Haha bit premature, you haven’t ridden them yet!!

I’m off to Morzine end of the month and in the same tyre dilemma.
    I’ve decided i’ll stick with my 3C DHRII up front and HRII rear both 2.3 and take a spare tyre.
    I bought a Maxxis aggressor in the double down flavour but it was a bit slow on the rear for normal trail use. I will take that as my spare just in case.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Depending on your wheels size you can also consider Double a Down or EXO instead of dual ply. I normally use dual ply tyres in the Alps but last year I managed quite happily with Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear. 2.5 EXO 3C tyres. I won’t use any other brands as have been disappointed with anything else I’ve tried.

To quote Jared Graves from a recent Specialized Bike check on PinkBike “with Maxcis it was easy, you just ran Minions”

Tom KP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alps Tyres / E13 TRS / Trail Kings’ is closed to new replies.