Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Alps trip help?
  • theoc
    Free Member

Hi

My plan this year was to do the mega with the lads. However the mrs wants to come out the week after and go to morzine. So I was wondering what’s the best way to do this? Original plan was to fly to Grenoble and back out from there. However now an extra week in morzine is thrown in, was thinking of flying back from Geneva? But how will I get from alp d heuz to morzine? Would hiring a car be the best option?

jam-bo

cycle?

ianv
    Free Member

You could always persuade her that deux alpes/alpe d’huez is a pretty good venue for a weeks riding and stay there. Better weather, cool trails, big area when the two are combined, less hassle. I prefer it to the PdS.

Otherwise, you will need to rent a car to get to Morzine I think, public transport would be a nightmare.

theoc
    Free Member

Well I may just have to persuade her it’s just we have free accommodation in morzine if we go there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can you fly to grenoble in summer?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

If you can’t fly to grenoble you can fly to Lyon, not too much further and there are trains too.

To be honest if you’re looking to move about I would hire a car. Train connections are good from larger places, but then it’s buses to get up into the mountains. You’d be looking at a bus into and out of Alpe d’Huez, bus into and out of Morzine and a train from Grenoble to somewhere like Annecy or Geneva in between. Car would be a lot less hassle.

That said, if you want to pick the car up from the airport it probably limits you to flying into and out of the same place, as there’s often a surcharge for returning a car to a different location and it can be pricey.

chakaping
    Free Member

Why does she want to go to Morzine? Is she into DH?

Otherwise I’d agree with ianv that Alp d’Huez and Deux Alpes might be preferable.

Alp D’Huez has some really good marked XC and Enduro trails, unlike Morzine – where you have to go at it with a map and compass. And the sunshine is a welcome contrast to the PdS a lot of the time.

Taking my family to southern alps next summer.

theoc
    Free Member

Something with enduro style trails would suit her more actually. We would only be going to morzine because her boss has chalet which we can use. Thanks for the info

shifter
    Free Member

Drive down, take girlfriends bike, she flies out to join you.

makkag
    Free Member

someone point me in the right direction of a family friendly holiday in Alp d’huez . Partner and children wanting to join in on my bike holiday this year – was thinking Les Gets / Morzine and an alpine elements type thing due to less hassle – but id welcome ideas as the new trails and the weather would be nice

ianv
    Free Member

camp site at Venosc is a good bet with kids, better for Deux Alpes but Alp d’Huez is not far away.

http://www.champ-du-moulin.com/en/welcome.html

hot_fiat

+1 for shifter’s plan. French local ground transportation is miserable. I once had to get the normal train from Lyon airport to Moutiers (the TGVs were fully booked). Took well over 6 hours – it’s about 100 miles. Glaciers melt quicker.

If you really must, there are busses from d’huez to Moutiers where you can probably get another bus to manzone. It’s easier in the winter when every man and his dog with a van runs shuttles.

dantsw13

The longer you are down there , the more driving down makes sense over flying and renting a car.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@shifter’s plan is a good one. Big variable is a crash in Mega meaning you can’t drive. If you drive you can collect the mrs from the airport. With savings in flights back it might be cost effective.

It’s easy to get connections to/from airport – Morzine you both can use Ski Transfers (google it or ski blue ridge, they run summer and winter). So it might be easier to go airport AdH airport Morzine airport.

@hot_fiat – French ground transport is better then the uk (TGV was booked as its excellent) like most systems it’s geared to transport to/from big cities not between ski resorts, very few customers want to travel that way.

shifter
    Free Member

Having driven home fromthe Lakes this year with my left fore arm in a cast I agree with Jambalaya’s concern! Although GF could drive back maybe?

zerocool

Drive down with all you kit in the car/Van. It’s only a long day’s drive and makes life easier to switch between Les 2 Alpes and Alpes D’Huez and Morzine. Also means you can nip over the Border and try out Alpi Bike Park for a day or so as it’s rather close to Les 2 Alpes

tizzzzle
    Free Member

zerocool +1

You could then spend some time in the Jura too, Metabief bike park is great and the area is beautiful

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Alps trip help?’ is closed to new replies.