Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alps – spares
  • lucien

Am off to the alps for a 3 1/2 week mega tour and taking DH bike – apart from usual spares, would you take a bleed kit?

Drac

Nope.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve never had to bleed my brakes in the Alps, but they were Shimanos…..

lucien

Mmmmm………….they are Avids……. 🙄

Northwind

Unless they’re something wacky, no. Bike shops will have what you need otherwise, in the unlikely event.

I do take a whole spare brake, though, in case of breaking a lever or ripping out a hose or something 😉 Basically I just take whatever’ll fit in the bag easily that won’t leave me paying stupendous baggage excesses. TBF, if I was driving I’d take whole spare bikes.

scaredypants

If you’ve recently bled them and put in new fluid, shouldn’t need a kit

If you’re driving down, yeah – chuck it in along with everything else

Drac

I’ve never had to bleed my brakes in the Alps but then they were Hopes and Avids.

lucien

MH, so plenty of room – experience of resort bike shops are that they are mega expensive….

steveh

Are you driving over or flying? If you’re driving and have space then take whatever you have! Most normal things are available over there in larger resorts but prices tend to be high. The more self sufficient you are the better for me.
    When I head off to the alps this summer in a big van we’ll have 2 bikes, spare wheels for the dh bikes, mechs, shifters, cables, pads, pedals essentially lots of stuff. Much better to have it and not want it!

Drac

Driving, ah in that case bung it in.

ianv
    Free Member

Yes, its not like its a big thing and last year mine got used a fair bit.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Our LBS in Moutiers, Mout’n’bike will bleed brakes for 20 euros a pop or 35 for both…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If your driving, pack it with the kitchen sink.

mrmoofo

They are quite advanced out there …

They have electickery and that stuff …

Take brake pads and anything else that you think will be hard to find … but food , beer , coffee and tyres they have plenty of ….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alps – spares’ is closed to new replies.