• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alps Roadtrip packing list
  • tomaso
    Free Member

OK what tools and spares should I take for a few odd days in the Alps? I still have painfull memories of making payment in blood for some Michelin downhill tyres in Les Gets back in 2000.

Spares wise I was going to take spokes, nipples, spare DH tyre, tubeless tape and sealant, brake pads, gear cable & outer and some spare tubes just in case.

Toolwise I was thinking adjustable spanner, allen & torqs keys, cassette tool, chain whip, tyre levers, pliers, wire cutters, track pump…

I am off to Morzine to meet up with an old biking mate for some trail action and then onto Lac d’Annecy for more family orientated fun but I may sneak out for more uplift assisted riding. After that I think we are heading towards Provence so there will be some more riding before we head west across towards the Dordogne.

Mbnut
    Free Member

My list is somewhat longer than yours, but we are keeping 2 bikes running for a month.

Main area is wheels, tyres and brakes.

Thank heavens I drive a van!

tomaso
    Free Member

Yeah proper mountain biking will be a sideline for me as it is a family holiday and I want to spend a lot of time messing about in rivers and lakes with my wife and kids and not to mention sitting on my ass drinking beer and eating cheese.

makkag
    Free Member

Spare Mech Hanger 100% and spare mech if you have one !

I’ve trashed a mech every year ive gone all fortunately Shimano – I have x0 this year im terrified

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, destroyed four mechs in week and winced as they straighten a very expensive, but worse still not available anywhere for hundreds of miles in any direction hanger for my Cove a few years ago.

That said, every year since I’ve not damaged much, I managed a week in Les Arcs on 2 sets of pads and it rained every day.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

OK what tools and spares should I take for a few odd days in the Alps?

Everything.

Failing that, as much as you can to get you off the mountain.

Have you got a folding stand too? Something like this is small but makes life that much easier when replacing a rear mech.

nickjb
    Free Member

Prices aren’t too bad in Morzine now (other than the rubbish euro rate). You can pick up stuff pretty readily, its just bike shop prices rather than CRC/merlin. There’s also a couple or guys with vans out out buy the lifts who do cheaper spares and reasonable priced bike tweaking. Definitely take bike specific bits if you have spares but no need to go crazy. That said I usually take tyres, tubes, mech, pedals, seatpost (rigid to swap for dropper), spokes, chain links, mech hanger, disks, pads.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got my standard repair kit in my Evoc backpack that includes mech hanger, pads, bolts, tools tubes, gear cable etc.

Not sure I want to buy a spare XT 11 speed mech before I go but then I really don’t want to buy one at full RRP in the Alps…

tomaso
    Free Member

Ah yes spare discs, rigid seatpost and maybe even some spare bars.

mudfish

Tomaso
    Get a mach from crc and send it back if you dont use it
    N

tomaso
    Free Member

Cunning!

mudfish

For starters
    Insurance that includes mountainbiking and getting you off the mountain
    Spare dropout
    Brake lever blade (they can snap)
    Gaffer tape or gorilla tape
    Gear cable cut to length/ endcap
    Chain
    Link
    Chaintool
    Chainring
    Brake hose
    Bleed kit
    Cassette?
    Tubes
    Stans
    Shock pump

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP have a great time, sounds like a wonderful trip

I travel fairly light but then given how I mince around little chance of breaking anything 😳 It does depend on your riding.

Spare pads, tyres, tubes (editjust seen list above, duct and electrical tape definitely and of course shock pump)

Worst I have done (fingers crossed) is bend a brake disk which we straightened (bodged)

Mates will always have (and have needed before) wheels, mech hangers, cables. They have also smashed a rear mech and had to buy one.

If I could take spares fo my aching body that woukd be the most useful, i n the meantime ibuprofen and prespcription strength voltarene !

mudfish

Brake disc/s
    Pads of course

tomaso
    Free Member

Mustn’t forget my paracetamol codeine …

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

You’re not going anywhere until you get that van finished Tom!

tomaso
    Free Member

It really is nearly finished

One last big push before we get the ferry to Europe – not sure abhout Dover Calais at the moment though…

BillOddie

From experience…everything!

Brakes pads x lots
    Rotors
    Tyres
    3x tubes
    tubeless stuff
    Rear mech and hanger
    Cable inner and outer.
    Brake bleed kit inc. fluid
    Reverb bleed kit or “normal” post.
    Chain ring if not using a bashring
    spokes and nipples
    BB if HT2
    tools to do all of the above, don’t forget chainwhip and cassette tool.
    if you can do the work yourself take suspension fettling bits…I currently have a poorly set of Pikes in Tignes.

benp1

Why not buy more than you need for stocking up, and then cheekily return anything you don’t use?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alps Roadtrip packing list’ is closed to new replies.