Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alps brake pads
  • pedlad

So I assumed that organic or Kevlar types were the way to go vs sintered that would overheat but some more experiences Alps goers are saying sintered for longevity..is there a consensus?

Northwind

I use kevlar, generally expect to change both ends in a week. (I think I got through my first week at white room just changing one end though). Some say sintered is worse for heating and fade etc, no clue if that’s true or not, I just wanted to stick with what I know

wallop

Yep – same pads as usual, just more of them!

godzilla
    Free Member

Normal pads for me, check more often, I run a set to 75-80% then pop them in my pack.
    Ran sintered last year for two day’s (the second set hope give you with a V4) and they sounded like a wounded pig.

snaps
    Free Member

New organic Hope pads in & a couple of rides in the UK to bed them in – take a spare set for each end but I’ve always had half a pad left at the end of the weeks riding (only ever had dry weather though)

SirHC

Big discs (atleast 180mm) are a must. For my Hopes the standard pads seem to cope very well, the sintered ones more so but take a couple of stops to warm up and start working properly.

nickjb
    Free Member

Organic for not overheating in the dry and sintered for lasting in the wet. Given that the weather can be a bit variable Kevlar are a good all rounder

bikeeey
    Free Member

Use 203mm rotors and have a couple of sore sets of the softer pads.

coogan
    Free Member

Just ran normal pads last year. I either mince or never brake when holiday. I’ve never gone through sets of pads in a week in the Alps.

andeh

I went through a set of Superstar Kevlar pads every 2/3 of a day in Les Arcs last summer. Ran out and bought a genuine Shimano sintered set from the shop in town, lasted the rest of the week and beyond.

Didn’t notice any increase in overheating and I’d gotten sick of carrying 2 sets of spare pads around every day. Big ass rotors and forced breaking discipline helped.

That said, I spent most of my time seeking the tres steep off-piste stuff in Les Arcs. The Kevlar ones had lasted fine in Morzine/Alpe D’Huez/Winterberg over the few weeks before.

Milkie
    Free Member

milky1980
    Free Member

For the last 3 years (2 dry, one very wet) I’ve always fitted new pads before going and have yet to wear a pair out! Used sintered the first year and had trouble with squealing and the rear boiled once (was a 160mm disc 😳 ), switched to semi-sintered and the problems disappeared.

Run 180mm both ends with Nukeproof Enduro (now called Semi-Metallic) ever since and they’ve been fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Always use sintered here, this year was the first time I’ve tried them abroad (ciclo montana) never again, Howl like a banshee, done my nut in. Marco the legend seemed to think it was the dust that does it, who am I to argue, he’s been riding out there for 20 odd years.

My mate gave me a set of clarkes organics, which were very impressive.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I would echo the organic for dry and sintered if it’s wet.

On one particularly hot dry day in Les Gets the first year I went I was running sintered pads, 180/160mm rotors and riding the brakes a lot… I quickly became well acquainted with the feeling of brake fade. Not fun!

Larger rotors are strongly advisable, floating if you can. Also bedding in your pads before you go is a good idea. Whilst I’ve had pads last a whole week before, I’ve also worn a set down to the backing plate before in a day. So take a good supply with you.

I’d also advise taking your bleed kit with you too. Usually after a few days of alpine riding, especially if it’s hot, your brakes will appreciate some fresh fluid.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alps brake pads’ is closed to new replies.