Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Alpkit Tents
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Anyone got one?

Particularly keen on the big Heksa at the moment as it seems to fit the requirements nicely. Can’t find many user reviews on line though!

Cheers

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Anyone with any experience on the day shift?

peterfile
    Free Member

Not heard many realworld reviews, but in case you had not realised, they have a MASSIVE sale on the tents right now, but be quick!

Tiger6791

There are a few on the AK site?

Heksa

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The sale is precisely why I am looking 😉 Just sorted out a job which will cover one and looking ahead to next years adventures (advent of small boy has kinda stopped too much happening this year)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Taking the gamble – Heksa enroute!

speed12
    Free Member

Taking a slight diversion off topic, but impressed by the honesty in this:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16865&category_id=253

A lot of other manufacturers would just sell it at full price, just cope with the complaints they may get, wait for it to go out of stock and bin it. To openly admit you are selling something a bit crap (although depending on use still could work well) is quite brave. Always admired Alpkits approach to stuff and this has sturdied that reputation quite a bit.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah, I like them as a company and have bought a few things in the past (still use my CoLab Jeanius jeans). The alternatives to the big tent all cost a scary amount (into the thousands) and were slightly more compromised in terms of features for family use.

I can see that they are having some problem shifting tents at the moment since they are not a known brand in that area. Same happened with Crux/Lightwave in the early days – I was an early adopter of the latter too which is still going strong as my lightweight backpacking tent of choice).

matt_outandabout

Just taken a punt on a Delta – I was about to pull the buy button on a waaay more expensive (even with a trade account) Terra Nova, so happy to try this out and maybe have to make a few adjustments…£60 put’s it in the same price band as a Banshee, which is my usual work-issue instructor tent that has a few issues as well…
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16865&category_id=282

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear how you get on Matt.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I considered one of those too… for lightweigh solo expeditions. But I have that many tents now ranging from a Vango Tempest up to a 5m Bell tent (with a couple of intermediates inbetween) that I couldn’t really justify that one too!

Then again, I think a small solo tent could be just the thing for sunset/dawn photography in the hills 😉

matt_outandabout

Will let you all know when it arrives – I even have a two day exped in a weekends time with groups… 🙂

cp

For comparison, what issues does the banshee have?

matt_outandabout

Fabric touching in high winds, *touch* too small end for a 6’/180cm occupant, one short but long entrance, venting is not great- especially in wind (but newer model has better vent flaps on), horrid orange inside….
    Seems the Delta is same issues, with extra entrance and space, and a bit less weight.
    I would recommend a Banshee to anyone after a budget, small, light tent.

I thought Delta was worth a look at, and as they suggest at worst it will be a sheltered tarp, as I also tarp it when the frosts arrive (usually by canoe, and under a huuuuuge tarp.

cp

Cheers for that. i’ve been considering the Banshee for a while, so if the issues are similar as you say, and it’s lighter, I might take a punt on the Alpkit just to use as a one man bit-more-than-a-bivi tent 🙂

matt_outandabout

I also reckon I could persuade mrs_oab to add a nip n tuck to a baggy inner with her sewing skills…and I can add guys/a spacer/ something from our pile of spare tent parts at work; plus I found 8 Y-pegs this last weekend left at a camp spot…in addition to the three found earlier in the summer… 8)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Mate has the Banshee and has had no problems with it really, I only went for the Tempest as it has a little more headroom so was a little less claustrophobic.

As a lifetime posh tent user I have been really surprised and pleased with the wee Vangos. Bought for motorcycle touring and rallies and they have stood up to a lot of use and abuse.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I have a Kangri, bought last April, used for about 4 weeks over the summer. Everything I’d expect from Alpkit. Well thought out, lots of nice features, well made. Solid in wind. Friends with Quasars say it’s very similar (but cheaper). Clever but fiddly velcro loops to connect the outer to the poles, but you only need to attach a couple of them unless is mega windy.

matt_outandabout

As a lifetime posh tent user I have been really surprised and pleased with the wee Vangos

Aye, we have Vango and Terra Nova at work. The vango’s cost half as much (or less) and do almost as well as a Terra Nova, with fewer warranty issues.
    The only problem of Vango is having to deal with the nightmare that is AMG group for repairs or spare parts…I had to make 4 phone calls and three emails before they would accept an order for some new poles – and we have a trade account with them!

chris_db
    Free Member

Just bought a Heksa in the sale myself.

If anyone wants a nearly new Robens Triple Dreamer for half RRP or an F10 Sentinel 500 for half RRP, let me know.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

lol glad to see I am not the only one who is weak 😉

Wish my wee uns were a bit older so we could get out camping NOW. But I think taking a 2 week old out now it is getting colder would be frowned upon 😉

matt_outandabout

Nah it wouldn’t….get the blankets out.

chris_db
    Free Member

We had our first out at 10 weeks, just wrapped her in a down jacket. Since been out in -13C in December with her, mind you she was 9 by then…

😀

superdan

I picked up a Zhota (fits me, dog and girlfriend at DH races and occasional mountain adventures). It compares admirably with the Terra Nova Quasars and Mountain Hardware kit I used to borrow from people to go mountaineering in Chamonix. It has a lot of nifty little features inside like hanging loops that make life easier.

One complaint: When trying to put up the tent in the pissing rain and semi darkness the colour coding on the poles (light grey, dark grey, dark goldish grey) are very hard to make out.

matt_outandabout

Having pitched it properly… 😳

And now used in anger… 😀

It is an ace wee tent. Took a battering and pouring on last night – (and another staff member was in his) and it worked well.

Using the ‘cross connector’ that should be used outer only really stands the tent up higher and more taut – inner and outer.

peterfile
    Free Member

Someone pitched the big red Alpkit tent next to me in Glen Coe last weekend.

It looked quite good, but didnt look as robust/taught as I had hoped (unless that lad pitching it was just crap at it). Then again, it’s a base camp tent, not a mountain one, so probably less of an issue.

Anyone got any experience of the larger tent in high winds? Both from a pitching and sleeping perspective?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Tents’ is closed to new replies.