Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alpkit Sonder?
  • tiggs121
    Free Member

Anyone got one or have any experience of these bikes?

Looking at buying one and could do with some views

cheers

bri-72

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sonder-transmitter-carbon-owners-help-please

My thoughts on the transmitter above. Very happy with the bike and a good company to deal with. Any calls I had post order usually went through to the guy actually building my bike rather than just a sales or customer services bod.

Garry_Lager

What bike are you looking at – I have an aluminium transmitter and very happy with it. Did have a couple of minor issues with the bike on arrival, but like bri says above they were resolved quickly through speaking with the guy who builds the bikes.

The handling of the transmitter is really good – v confidence-inspiring and comfortable over the rough stuff. I wanted something for winter night rides that would be really stable in poor conditions [although ironically the bike is prone to swapping ends in pure mud]. It’s quite sluggish up the hills and just general mile-munching, though. Hats off to anyone who takes one bike-packing, think I’d find an all-dayer on a transmitter really arduous.

tiggs121
    Free Member

It was the Alu Transmitter I was thinking about.

Is the sluggishness caused by the tyre width or the geometry? I was looking for a “do it all bike” – don’t hammer the steep downhills like I used to to! Just some moderate trail and track riding these days.

Garry_Lager

tiggs121 – Member

It was the Alu Transmitter I was thinking about.

Is the sluggishness caused by the tyre width or the geometry? I was looking for a “do it all bike” – don’t hammer the steep downhills like I used to to! Just some moderate trail and track riding these days. It’s just heavy with heavy wheels. Mine is a basic spec, though – if you spent some money it could be a do it all bike.
    Think mine was £900 thereabouts so I wasn’t expecting the world from it.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Thanks Garry

It was the basic bike I was thinking about. Had a look at the Genesis Tarn as well.

Might try and get a test ride on the Sonder.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d disagree that the aluminium Transmitter is particularly sluggish. It’s not the lightest bike out there for sure, and it’s more stable and reliable steering than flickable, but with a faster-rolling rear tyre it motors along quite happily. Obviously that’s all relative, but with a Minion DHF front and a Rekon out back, it feels fine to me. Also the tyres roll really well on small to medium bumpy stuff. With a Trailblazer out back it flew, but didn’t have a lot of grip.

I’ve ridden the carbon version as well and it’s appreciably lighter, which makes it feel a little livelier. Depends how it’s built I guess. I’ve not ridden a stock build aluminium Transmitter, though a few people have said that the wheels aren’t the lightest. If you can afford to stretch to the carbon, it’s really nice.

Good people to deal with. Alpkit’s been selling outoor gear for more than a decade now I think and has a really good reputation. They do test rides from their shops or you can get one shipped to you for a weekend at a price.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A.mate has one, been down golfie and inners and done coast to coast and various stuff on it.

It’s robust, fun and inexpensive. It’s not light nor quick but frankly as much a do it all bike as your fitness/nerve can cope with.

bri-72

Depends what you compare it to I guess. I actually find mine quite nimble, but I’m used to a heavy steel plus bike and a fat bike. This feels real quick in comparison. The tyres it’s supplied with are quite fast rolling albeit more a summer/hardback tyre. I’ve changed to nobby nice for a bit more grip on different terrain.

Glad I asked for an uncut steerer as I’d have struggled with such a low front end otherwise. So I can understand comments about it not being an all day bike.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m running my transmitter with 2.4 HR2s and its pretty fast like that. There is more tire clearance too. It’s tight with a 2.8 in the back.

marcgear
    Free Member

I’ve got an alu transmitter, had some problems with it but Alpkit sorted them really quickly. Found the trailblazer tyres lacked bite on the corners so I changed them to DHFs which improved it no end. Ride inspires confidence, been happy to send it off everything I’ve encountered riding it in the last year. It’s done a few short bikepacking trips & its been fine on all day rides too.

I want a longer dropper for mine, and I quite fancy seeing what it’d be like with more than 140mm at the front.

matt_outandabout

I looked at one, and was very tempted.
    In the end my Marin Nail Trail 7 won out on a few fronts-
    – wheels are a LOT lighter
    – dropper included
    – Yari fork is far superior

It was £1k from Rutland, and so far I’m really enjoying it..

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m not running the love mud wheels with the 2.4 tires. They were a little heavy.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m running my transmitter with 2.4 HR2s and its pretty fast like that. There is more tire clearance too. It’s tight with a 2.8 in the back.

How do you find bottom bracket clearance with 2.4s?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Sonder?’ is closed to new replies.