Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alpkit sleeping mats…any body used them?
  • BFITH
    Free Member

As above. Im looking for some sleeping mats for car camping….fed up with airbeds! Is the Dozer TOO big…will the Wedge do? Any reccomendations greatly appreciated…

BF

sweepy
    Free Member

The Fat airic, the old equivalent to the dozer is as comfortable as a bed, and if you're not carrying it who cares how big it is. Might be a bit big for two of them in a small tent tho so watch out for that.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For car camping and crashing at mates houses, the fat airic is brilliant (Now dozer), super comfy and a good size. You can inflate and deflate quickly. It comes with straps and a bag. The only thing is, with these types of mats, (I think) you are supposed to store them inflated. You might want to check that if space is limited at home.

BFITH
    Free Member

sweepy…Got a big tent so no problem there…small car is the main problem…trying to reduce amount/size of stuff we take with us…..

banana…plenty of storage space at home…..looks like dozer might be favourite…..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also, the Dozer will have about the same top surface area as a traditional airbed, but not as deep and is lighterweight thinner materials. So it will pack down alot smaller, maybe 1/2 the size. I'm guessing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So it will pack down alot smaller, maybe 1/2 the size. I'm guessing.

doubt full – its full of foam ….

my wee arrics didnt pack down as small as my old airmats ! outbound ones – lighter though

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There should be dimensions on the website for the Dozer deflated and packed. If not, I can take some for you, if that's your main concern.

BFITH
    Free Member

Ive seen the dims on the website, thanks. Was mainly wondering if I could get away with the 'wedge' ……a bit thinner and packs away smaller…but probably less comfortable..!!
    Ill probably MTFU and go for the Dozer 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats WTFU 😉 if size and space and comfort are main priority -not price then the thermarest neoair cant be beat …but cost is a killer !

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Awesome bits of Kit- Ive just got a Dirtbag, and its mint… :mrgreen:

weaklemondrink
    Free Member

I have an Airo 120 and have been totally impressed with it. Recently spent 2 weeks camping with it and it was really comfortable.

I would guess Wedge is a bit thicker than my one, so I'd say it should be fine.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

This might give you an indication of how small the dozer will pack, they are quite big I suppose. to give some perspective, the length of the mat will be about 6ft I presume.

simon_g

Not Alpkit, but I did get one of the thicker Kathmandu mats (3.8cm, iirc) for festival and car-camping use and it's so much comfier than my lightweight thermarest-copy one. Out like a light even in a noisy festival campsite.

Half-price sale on at the moment – the one I got is down to £25 now.

grumm
    Free Member

I've got 2 (the smallest one and the one up, whatever they are called) – and they are ace. Amazing for the money imo

Cougar

I've got the Fat Airic (actually, two) and they're ace. Big fan of Alpkit, great kit and a great company to deal with. Never, ever going back to airbeds.

Cougar

with these types of mats, (I think) you are supposed to store them inflated

Maybe so, but mine's been stored rolled for a couple of years now and it's good as new (aside from the odd grass stain here and there). If it died tomorrow it owes me nothing, I'd replace it with joy in my heart and a spring in my step.

BadlyWiredDog

The Dozer is ace. Alpkit has just redone its entire range, the old ones had a tendency to leak with regular use, the new ones are from a different factory and better quality. The Dozer is biggish, but nothing serious in car terms. If you want a more compact but still very comforable mat, check out the Dirtbag which is designed to be the fattest mat you'd actually consider carrying. I've had a lie down on one and it's very comfy. Dozer ftw tho, dude 🙂

ibnchris

Alpkit are great value for money but not sure how durable…used one on a recent bivvy adventure and the rub from being strapped under my bars gave it two big rips. which meant for a chilly night!

Cougar

User error. (-:

BFITH
    Free Member

Thanks all……ordered a couple of Dozers….

BF

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alpkit are great value for money but not sure how durable…used one on a recent bivvy adventure and the rub from being strapped under my bars gave it two big rips. which meant for a chilly night!

sorry im of the old alpkit mats are not durable camp (no experiance of the new ones! ) – as in they lasted me 2 weeks ….. but you have no one to blame but your self for that one thats schoolboy error number 1 in bike packing … if it is strapped under your bars it needs wrapping in duct tape to protect it from abbrasion – thats drybags airmats or anything !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit sleeping mats…any body used them?’ is closed to new replies.