Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpkit Manta. Any views on it for running?
  • paul4stones

I’m on my second Gamma and just wondered whether the Manta is a better replacement? Off road running at night. At £15 it’s probably worth a punt anyway and I’ll report back if no one knows.

Thanks.

stever
    Free Member

Hey Paul – they give them at 88/100 lumens so I doubt you’d really notice the difference. I used a Gamma for a long time but felt my eyes hunting for rocks and roots lately and have just gone for one of the generic Chinese Crees, like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enjoydeal-lumens-Headlamp-Flashlight-Charger/dp/B0098YMNJU/
    Well bright enough on low. Downsides, a bit heavier on the head, weatherproofing ok now, longevity unknown.

paul4stones

1600 lumens pfft.

Ok might try that. Thanks Steve

Markie
    Free Member

Hi Paul, just looking at the Manta for night running myself (well, Mrs Markie)… What did you go for in the end, and how is it working – those generic ones above look a bit clunky!

scotroutes
    Markie
    Free Member

Thanks scotroutes!

paul4stones

Thanks scotroutes.

Just for info I have bought a Manta for my SiL but got it delivered here so I could look at it first 😉
    It’s ok, no brighter than the gamma really but has a focusable beam which may/may not be useful. It has the batteries mounted behind the light so all the weight is at the front and no strap over the top but we’ve got three Gammas in this house and two of them have failed in the wiring which is necessary because the battery pack is at the back.

I’ve also bought the one linked above by stever which is crazy bright but quite a bit heavier (like double . . .) and takes the 18650 exploding batteries.

The FRA forum (mentioned in the thread above) seems to come out in favour of the Lenser H7. Anyone any experience of the H5?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m thinking of taking a punt on the DX Lenser look a like, on the thread noted above.

I think there is something in having the light balanced with battery at the back and strap across the top of the head.

Currently I use a gamma with the battery case zipp tied together!

scotroutes

Reviews on the DX H7 clone suggest it’s very flimsy – but then at the price…… 😆

Markie
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’ve just ordered the Gamma for my wife, have read about the Manta bouncing whilst running due to all the weight being on the front and no over strap.

Still, given the reliability concerns, I guess it won’t be too long before she gets to try a Manta anyway!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Manta. Any views on it for running?’ is closed to new replies.