Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alpkit Kanga harness fouling tyre when suspension fork compresses.
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Anyone else have this issue?
    Annoying the crap out of me – basically ruining a ride, dangerous too – jammed the wheel on me today.

My fork has 140mm travel. On compression and even front braking, the fibreglass poles are pushing down and hitting the top of the tyre.

I’ve put zip ties around the channels in it holding the poles up as far as possible, but still happening. Got the harness as high up on the bars too.

Is it the fork travel? It happens in braking too though.

Anyone had this problem and got a solution? Thought of opening it up and cutting down the poles.

If I can’t sort it, think I might get rid and try the Joey one

scotroutes

Any sort of bar mounted bag can have issues with wheels, especially when there’s suspension involved. I guess that 140mm travel bikepacking bikes aren’t that common so there’s an excuse. As you say, another style of bag/harness might help.

bazwadah
    Free Member

I have had the same issue with using the Joey harness so I don’t know if changing to a Joey will help (I wore a hole through my dry bag it got that bad..). I did consider buying the Alpkit Love Mud copy of a Jones bar to see if having two points of attachment for the dry bag would solve the problem but haven’t got round to it. could it be the straps working loose? i found it was worse when riding in wet conditions suggesting it was the bag sagging in the wet that caused the problem.

splashdown
    Free Member

Photo’s?!

km79
    Free Member

Anyone had this problem and got a solution?

Have you tried just stapping a drybag directly to the bars?

jam-bo

I use a revelate sweetroll on 140mm forks. A mudhugger FR guard stops it from buzzing the front tyre.

jam-bo

And and a few more PSI in the fork. You just added a bunch of weight acting on it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How tall is your headtube? Problem is most other designs will rub the drybag on the tyre as they don’t lift the bag up like the Kanga unless the headtube is super long (or you run a rigid fork).

Mine’s up in the loft so I can’t check, but I think I push the poles over the back of the fork crown, then the ‘neck’ of the harness pushes back on the fork crown and it can’t go anywhere.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Only had it push a mudhugger into the tyre a little when braking. My mate runs it on the top of the fork rather than across the bridge.

Looks weird but he’s not had any issues braking. He doesn’t run a mudguard though. That’s on 120mm blutos.

oliverracing

I use a couple of 10mm ally tubes instead of the fibreglass poles.

They are about 4-5cm longer than the fibreglass poles and a bit stiffer. This stops any fouling of the tyre.

For reference I have 120mm forks and a 100mm stem, I also have narrow bars (640mm) which means the harness needs to be spacered away from the bars by about 20mm to stop it fouling the brakes

P20

I had this, it’s not set up properly. It should be set up with the poles above the level of the bottom of the crown. I got it wrong in Scotland but was able to adjust it properly

P20

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UGpvTN]IMG_3785[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr
    So this incorrectly set up. It was only the fork mudguard that prevented the stays embedding in the tyre as the fork compressed

P20

Correctly set up, fork compresses without issue

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UEuNsu]IMAG0305[/url] by Tasha, on Flickr

happybiker
    Free Member

In my experience, doing a week long trip in the Alps, the Alpkit bar and seat harness is very wobbly compared to Wildcat. Had both in our group and my Wildcat harness was fine on a 150mm Pike 29.

On the rear, I rigged up a tapered Alpkit bag with 2 straps on a Reverb, that was more solid than Alpkit’s own seat pack! Their frame bags are nice though…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

P20, that makes sense – attach to fork crown instead of bridge?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why have you mounted it on the bridge ? Of course it needs to be on the crown otherwise every time the fork compresses it’s going to try and snap the rods.

The good thing about the kanga is your bag can be mounted above /directly in front of the bars to.avoid wheel contact.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

attach to fork crown instead of bridge?

Yes it attaches to the crown not the arch!

P20

Yes it attaches to crown, not bridge. Make sure the stays remain above the level of the base of the crown though. It can be fiddly, but it’s achieveable

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Tried it out.
    Yes, that works a lot better.

So obvious… now

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Kanga harness fouling tyre when suspension fork compresses.’ is closed to new replies.