Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Alpkit head torch replacement, which?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The battery case on my Alpkit head torch has just broken, so need to get a new head torch.

I used it for running on the moors at night, and liked its compact size and the rear light. Plus the fact it was dirt cheap.. 4 ish years ago…

What’s best these days, is it another Alpkit?

Ta

ebygomm
    Free Member

The battery case on my Alpkit head torch has just broken,

Seems a bit of a design flaw with them, our two broke in exactly the same place within weeks of each other. They zip tie back together quite nicely though 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just tried zip tie and it didn’t work. Maybe trying too smaller tie..

Alpkit are out of stock till April as well 🙁

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m on the zip-tie fix as well. All good until you need to replace the batteries and don’t have a knife and a new zip-tie…

Also looking for a cheap replacement is as good but without the only flaw in an otherwise excellent design, however I’m not keen on spending £130 on one which needs an OS…

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/nao/6617?gclid=CL66i6_i6LUCFc3HtAodoQ4AmA

Dave
    Free Member

Petzl Tikka XP2 or Myo XP or RXP are good if a bit more cash.

slugwash
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I will also be on the zip-tie fix after reading this thread. And I thought I was going through this all by myself 😉

Cougar

Have you contacted Alpkit? They might pony for a replacement, their customer service is very good.

CountZero
    steelfan
    Free Member

. Mine broke and I’ve had it for ages so I contacted Alpkit and they said send it in and they will fix it. Just waiting for it to turn back up in the post.

cp

After 3 well used years mine broke a few weeks ago. Finally got round to sending it back to alpkit a couple of days ago – they do a 4 quid rrpair service on them.

anonymouse
    Free Member

+1 for contacting Alpkit. Their after sales service is second to none.

luke
    Free Member

Had mine replaced by Alpkit as well. Top notch customer service.

ElShalimo

Call them, they might give you some advice for a bodge.
    If the gamma is out of stock then you can’t go wrong with Black Diamond headtorches

BadlyWiredDog

If you want something running orientated and don’t mind spending a little more, the Silva X-Trail and Runner models work really well ime. They have a mix of spot and wider-angle beams which gives you more perspective and works really well for running. The Runner model is brilliant, but also three-figure expensive… 😐

nbt

Might have to call alpkit later, mine’s also given way where the battery case lid catch is was

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You could reuse zip ties. What you need to do is get a tiny knife point and slip the point under the plastic ratchet tooth. Lift gently up and put some slight tension on the zip-tie strap pulling backwards (does this make sense to you?) the strap should release and be ready for reuse.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Whats the run time on the alpkit torches? Could you realistically use them for mtbing?

IHN

C&B seen do a cracking head torch. The little lady has one for running at night. Brighter and broader beam than the Gamma

ebygomm
    Free Member

Batteries last long enough imo that having to find a zip tie when the batteries need replacing isn’t really a big deal. I’m loathe to consign anything to scrap when it’s so simple to fix.

nbt

loads

not really, not bright enough to give enough throw to light the trail at MTB speeds. I used mine for commuting duties as there’s a 150 yard long pitch black tunnel – it’s ok with a Gamme in summer, but when the evenings get dark the gamma isn’t enough for the rest of the commute so I go to proper lights

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    BadlyWiredDog

Whats the run time on the alpkit torches? Could you realistically use them for mtbing?

Not unless you’re going pretty slowly on smooth tracks, no. The bottom line is that the Gamma is an ace value for money buy in a ‘plenty bright enough for most things’ sort of way, but headtorches are mostly lagging well behind bike lights in terms of brightness, even when you get up around the £100 mark.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit head torch replacement, which?’ is closed to new replies.