• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bruk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alpkit Filoment, anybody got one?
  • ac505
    Free Member

Looking to get a new mid layer, I’ve been bouncing back and forward between a bog standard fleece and something along the lines of an Arcteryx Atom LT which could be used stand alone too. Anyhoo, it did occur to me that I have a wardrobe full of various mid layers all er, well lived in. That said, yet another fleece may not be needed…..
    So I’m liking the idea of the Alpkit Filoment, its small pack size means I could leave it in the backpack and use if only when needed. I’ve never used down as a mid layer however so new territory for me. All I know is that the down will possibly compress so may not be as effective, may be blisteringly hot, may not be good at transferring sweat etc etc. Interested if anybody has a view on this and of course the jacket in question. Ta.

surfer
    Free Member

Just my experience but I dont get the “mid layer” thing. I ordered a Filament but sent it back as I wasnt quite sure of the fit. I bought a Rab Microlight instead for an extra £40.
    For me its an outer jacket not somthing I would wear under anything else (unless in extreme conditions I pulled an outer shell over it)
    Anyway the construction was fine

peekay

Yes, I have one.

Had it about two months and bought it to replace a Rab down gillet that was wearing out.

I wore the rab alost every day for several years whilst driving to work, at weekends as a go to jacket. Whilst skiing as amid layer, and on many other outdoorsy and sporty things whislt warming up or faffing before starting. Fantastic purchase so I thought hard before replacing it with something different.

The Filoment really does seem up to the job though. Similar warmth and pack down characteristics to other similar down jackets but the fit is perfect for me, the price was right and I think that the company seem like a good bunch. The quality is good too.

Have already used it for skiing as a mid know layer and used it daily since for the commute and as a general jacket both at home and on holiday

A++ Would buy again

maddyutah

Ordered one but sent back didn’t like fit,far to tight across,chest,back,got a montane one instead,same price.

ElShalimo

FYI: Montane Nitro was £70 last week at SportShoes.com but in larger sizes

ac505
    Free Member

Peekay, how did you find the down as a mid layer. How was it for warmth and how well did it wick sweat?

manmurray

Had one since Dec, was a bit unsure about the fit – is tighter across the shoulders than would be perfect – but used to it now. Love it, right amount of warmth, layering it under a shell has worked well, been living in it this week. Have had a Filo for a couple of years for the colder days/Alps and it’s great, the Filoment will see more use I think (but then I get too warm at the best of times).

angusaitken
    Free Member

also share the comments about it being slightly tight around shoulders/chest – little surprised as alpkit gear is usually is designed for climbers/outdoory people rather than the fashion mob. does seem to fit a little better than it did when i got it so either i have got used to it or there is a little give.

i did order a small and am usually somewhere between a small and med. my logic was that i wanted to use as a midlayer so wanted to easily get under waterproofs. with hindsight a med size may have been better.

seems very warm for the weight, packs down well and seems really nicely made so i would deffo recommend

ac505
    Free Member

well I bought a filament, Quality looks good, on a par with say a Rab Microlight. Unfortunately it will have to go back, the fit is a bit strange, tight on the chest but baggy on the back and belly. If I had a beer gut it would be great, but I don’t.

Spud

Exactly my experience with mine, ordered a small as I wanted a close fit over a base layer, had to size up to a medium as it was very tight around the chest, particularly under the arms. The medium is a better fit, still perhaps a little close around the underarm but otherwise I’m chuffed with it. Warmer than I thought it might be too. Helps for fit etc as I only live 5 mins from them too.

jam-bo

i’ve got the arcteryx atom vest. great athletic fit, warm and light.

impressed enough with it to be quite tempted to get the jacket as well.

bruk

Bought one for the wife for Xmas and sized up one. Fits very well as she normally wears fleece under it. Very nesh!

Got myself a large which is a good fit esp over t shirt or base layer so def more of a mid layer sizing. Love it though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Filoment, anybody got one?’ is closed to new replies.