Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Alpkit Dry dock 50
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any good? Used for weekends away. Alternative is the Osprey Transporter 65l

johnners
    Free Member

Not tried the 50 but I’ve sent a 100 back. The centre zip is a pain if you go anywhere near fully loading the bag, leads to a lot of messy rummaging unless you’re fully unpacking or use cubes. I bought a ME 100 from Cotswold in the end which is great. The ME bags are pretty decent and good value, but no rucksack straps on the 50 or 70 AFAIK.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ok, thanks. Rucksack straps are essential. I’ve veering towards the Osprey, anyway.

BadlyWiredDog

The zip leaks if that bothers you.

mikey74
    Free Member

On what? The Alpkit?

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, on the Alpkit. It’s a water resistant zip but there’s no storm-flap so if it sits in direct rain for long, water goes through it.

I’ve got a Transporter 95 and it’s a nice bag – lots of compartments, soft fabrics, good strap system, but doesn’t feel as rugged as the usual The North Face duffle-type clones. The Arc’teryx lightweight duffle is good for water resistance – welded seams and a storm flap over the zip – but quite minimalist with no pockets etc.

Or Aquapac does a dry-bag type sealed one if you need fully waterproof.

If you’re not bothered about weather resistance or ultimate ruggedness, the Osprey ones are good. If you want something tough, the original North Face duffle is still pretty effective. Mine’s been on the go for almost 20 years now and is still going strong with the odd added scuff and scrape.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks BWD. Weather resistance isn’t absolutely essential (it’ll mainly be used as a travel pack, for when I don’t need to take my Dakine Split Roller 100), and as long as it is well-made and robust enough to last a good while, then it doesn’t have to be that rugged: I’m not going to be throwing it down hillsides.

On that basis, I’ve ordered the Transporter 65: Not least because I found it on Chain Reaction for £50, but also because it seems to give me what i need.

BadlyWiredDog

The big plus of weather resistance, ime anyway, is when it ends up sitting on a baggage trailer at an airport in the middle of a deluge. But yeah, if kit works as well as the Transporter 95, it’ll be a really nice all-round travel pack.

vondally
    Free Member

I/we have one…..been on a few jaunts now ( Portugal/ Poland/ Austria/ Spain) as a carry on and then bounced around as luggage on trains….been really good for us ( my daughter used it as well so bike bag and this) do not over fill and it will fit on easy jet and Ryan Air. Zips been fine bit the straps and bag when heavy are pretty uncomfortable for any length of time. It still looks good . Cannot complain really,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Dry dock 50’ is closed to new replies.