Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Alpkit bikes
  • matt_outandabout

Have we done the ‘you can nearly order’ yet? Transmitter looks good value.

jam-bo

Lateral stiffness and vertical compliance. I’m sold…

matt_outandabout

I do fancy one… *starts saving*

trail_rat
    Free Member

i really like their camino…..

shame it doesnt have mudguard or conventional rack mounts.

the only way i could justify it would be as a commuter come gravel bike…..

Makes the shand stoater the current likely replacement for the roadrat……

firestarter
    Free Member

Mmm…stoater. They are lovely 😉

nuke

Pleased to see they’re finally sort of out (was expecting 5th Nov) 😕 …liking the Transmitter and expect it to be my Scandal 29er replacement in time

Bregante

That Camino is pretty much my N+1 for next year but I can’t make my mind up about that seat stay…

rOcKeTdOg

“boost”
    I’m out

RustySpanner

No rack or guard mounts?
    Ffs, that’s ridiculous.

Turns a potentially practical and versatile bike into a toy.

Shame, looks useful otherwise.
    Brant innit?
    Bet you can’t get a triple on it either.

scotroutes

Rusty Spanner – Member
    No rack or guard mounts?
    Ffs, that’s ridiculous.
    Turns a potentially practical and versatile bike into a toy.

You were otherwise about to buy one?

STATO
    Free Member

No rack or guard mounts?
    Ffs, that’s ridiculous.

Difficult to get carbon disc forks with mounts for budget prices maybe?

RustySpanner

I’ve been waiting months for a Disc Trucker, seriously considering alternatives.

This sneeks in below my budget, would be worth at least a test ride if it was a little more practical.

avdave2

I like the look of the Broken Road and it’ll take my Rohloff. Seems like a pretty good price to. The only question is whether it would be cheaper, lighter and more comfortable to go frame only and get carbon forks?

STATO
    Free Member

I notice the £850 Transmitter has a boost wheelset but only 2.4 tyres. Builds are apparently fully customisable so probably available as an option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i pushed them on it before .

apparently thats not the market they want its designed for soft luggage as thats better for bikepacking and mudguards are a hinderance offroad.

bikepackings a small portion of what i would want the bike for – and even at that im more likely to use it for traditional touring than bike packing in the hills based on the hills where i ride.

there are ways and means for fitting guards how ever the rear ends supershort so probably wouldnt like a rack on it anyway – this hasnt stopped me in the past 😉

brant
    Free Member

shame it doesnt have mudguard or conventional rack mounts.

The Camino frame has mudguard mounts. The lower ones are hidden inside the seatstays. They are on the bridges of the seat and chainstays.

There are no provisions on the current stock fork for mudguard fitment.

trail_rat
    Free Member

thats why i like this place … obviously you were not the guy answering the questions on facebook;)

butcher

It does seem strange not to have mounts. That would put me off straight away. And I’m interested in buying something just like that next.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sonder Camino

didnt notice this before last comment.

my last comments were based on a dialogue with alpkits facebook dude over a pre production picture.

much more detailed images on the sonder camino page.

scotroutes

piemonster

Cat + Pigeons

dragon
    Free Member

I can’t make my mind up about that seat stay…

The seat stay and also drive side chain stay, look awful IMO.

Also would have been neater with internal cable runs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats wrong with the drive side chainstay ?

function before form. Your pretty limited to what you can do to retain stiffness/mudclearance and decent chainring sizes…… most manufactures compromise somewhere….

oh and internal cable runs are a pain in the arse if you were to have a cable failure anywhere other than a nice warm garage……

cookeaa

I think I commented before about the transmitter, that I would have expected more “practical” features on an Alpkit sub-brand bike, otherwise it’s just another 650b+ MTB in amongst all the others. Quite nice looking and pretty good value, just not quite what I had expected given the brand…

Similarly the camino, looks lovely, pretty good pricing for Ti, but I have to admit, I would be expecting more lugs and bosses, the initial comparisons with surley, salsa, etc speaks volumes, clearly that’s who their potential customers expect them to be competing with…
    I get that they’re pitching it at “soft luggage” bike packing, strapping dry bags all over the shop, I just sort of expected a bit more of a nod towards practical touring type stuff…

Broken Road seems to have a few more bosses, ticks those practicality boxes, but obviously being Ti will price it out of consideration for many…

dragon
    Free Member

The chainstay has got a yuk looking weld on it. And TBH when it comes to Ti the less welds the better in my book.

if you were to have a cable failure

How often does that happen? Plus if you run them trough the frame then they can’t snag on anything.

STATO
    Free Member

What happened to the integrated luggage concept? as above was expecting to see a boss or two on the top tube to accommodate bolt on frame and tank bags.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like the gravel one (Camino) it’s just about on par with other stuff you can buy, but looks nice IMO.
    £2k all in (if I read it correctly) which isn’t bad.

I wish them a lot of luck, think it fits in with the brand really well.

Bregante

Looks like 1500 for a 105 equipped bike which would be perfect for me.

firestarter
    Free Member

Tbh a soft luggage company selling bikes with rack mounts could prove somewhat counterproductive.

As mentioned above I’m surprised they haven’t jumped at the chance to develop some bolt on soft luggage like the Leeds based woodruff/restrap bike

RustySpanner

How is it counterproductive?

You can strap bikepacking kit, Alpkit or otherwise, to almost anything, you don’t NEED a Camino.
    Not including rack mounts just decreases your number of potential owners.

I wonder how many people would have been put off by their inclusion?

firestarter
    Free Member

But if they aren’t there you have to use straps gear. Plus it could have been designed to ride with the weight in certain areas and not at the usual pannier place

Who knows. Ask the designer he’s up there

thepodge
    Free Member

Transmitter is b+ rear, deffo not 29er compatible but the front is 29 / 650b standard.

Wouldn’t b+ front and rear been more sense?

RustySpanner

I’m sure it’ll be excellent at the things it has been primarily designed for.

But I don’t understand the logic of deliberate impracticality, especially if it comes at little or no detriment to the bike’s primary functions.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why would you choose this rather than a tripster?

piemonster

The ti or alloy Tripster?

As this offering is £1500 complete!

cloudnine
    Free Member

I picked up my new tripster frame set for £999.. 105 cranks, ultegra everything else and shimano hydro’s were £350, kinesis CX wheel set £250, ti post £35, ti seat, salsa cowbells and Thomson stem £100.
    So for not much more, some proper lucky buys and bargain hunting puts this in tripster territory..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We used to ride mountain bikes, now it’s ENDURO!
    We used to go touring, now it’s BIKEPACKING!

At the risk of sounding like TJ….Marketing guff.

Any touring bike without rack and mudguard eyelets is silly. And yes, a bikepacking bike is a touring bike.

dragon
    Free Member

I’m with CFH on the marketing thing. Also other Ti tourers out there like the Sabbath Disc.

piemonster

picked up my new tripster frame set for £999

Hmm, do you mind me asking where? Might be worth me keeping an eye out for that price.

piemonster

At the risk of sounding like TJ….Marketing guff.

I’ll remember when your going on about your new skis next year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit bikes’ is closed to new replies.