Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Alpkit – any good
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I’m after a handlebar bag, and a new cross bar bag.

Saw the alpkit dry bags with that bar holder thing, and it seems decent value.

Is their kit any good? Never came across it before other than the odd mention on here.

Bags will get used once every six months maybe a bit more, so note wanting to spend Orlieb money, but on the other hand, the Roswheel stuff always seems to not fit right for me.

timidwheeler

Yes

allyharp

And the service is great too!

jam-bo

In my experience, you get what you pay for with alpkit.

there is good support however when it falls apart.

Xylene
    Free Member

Other option was Topeak – within budget as well – a tourguide bar bag, and a topbar bag, with shipping, will be a bit more.

bails

I’ve got several things from them. Including a Gourdon dry bag backpack that cost me £18 six and a half years ago. I’ve used for cycle commuting ever since and it’s still going strong.

I like them.

johnners
    Free Member

Alpkit used to do decent kit at a good price, but probably in part due to exchange rate changes their pricing is less attractive now.

They do free returns so you’ve little to lose just ordering to check it out.

celticdragon

Yes! Whole heartedly recomended, all my kit stayed bone dry in a ratehr wet Italy this year. A quick wash and look good as new.

jameso

I’ve put 1000s of miles onto a Possum frame bag that’s held up well and get really good lifespan from their drybags. Wildcat kit is better technically imo but Alpkit is great vfm and the frame bags are a highlight.

matt_outandabout

They do solid, usually simple products that lack showy graphics, usually well tested. Lots made in China, like the old on-one model, sold at good prices.

My Alpkit Delta tent is the proof they are not perfect….

damascus
    Free Member

I think it’s quality stuff, good prices and excellent customer service and returns.

Xylene
    Free Member

Certainly cheaper than that wildcat.

Just seen how much the Wildcat TOptube pack is – I got mine thrown in , unused, when I bought a second hand frame bag and seat pack.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Only dealt with them a couple of times but excellent service.

whitestone
    Free Member

Alpkit is a mixture of decent stuff at a keen price and let’s just say some quirky kit 😉 While their kit isn’t top end it’s more than good enough to get you going – I’ve the Filo down jacket, it was £80 about five years ago and is more than good enough for what I’ll use it for. I’m not going to Antarctica so don’t need the quality or price of a PHD down jacket.

I’ve got a couple of Alpkit stem cells and a few Airlok dry bags but my main bikepacking bags/harnesses are Wildcat At the time I bought them there were really only Alpkit, Apidura and Wildcat readily available in this country, Revelate might have been available as well. I’m not sure if I’ve seen anyone with an Alpkit bar harness, but haven’t explicitly looked. I’ve also an Alpkit Fuel Pod but it’s a bit unstable and always seems to want to flop over.

As mentioned above they are susceptible to currency fluctuations but they don’t do On-One’s random scatter gun prices, presumably they buy a container load or two of kit and pay whatever price and add their margin then try and get the next container for the same price. Some of the stuff like the cookware is obviously standard stuff with their logo imprinted but it’s no more expensive than the plain versions or those with other “manufacturer’s” marks.

I’ll continue to get stuff from them. Most of the time what I’ll get will work but there’ll be the occasional interesting moment.

somafunk

Has anyone got experience of the Cloud Cover quilt?, seems ok for £100, I’d most likely be using it as an additional warmth layer when staying over at a mates very isolated/cold/draughty house (calling it a house is bigging it up) up in the Galloway hills rather than strict camping use. I usually take my columbia moonstone down omniheat sleeping bag and open it out to use as a sort of quilt but there’s one or two open fires in every room and i don’t want it to get trashed with sparks/mud/dogs/assorted wildlife etc.

steezysix
    Free Member

Their stuff is good, I have a full frame bag and top tube bag and they’ve both worked well. For my new bike I got Alpamayo bags which are awesome. They’re based in Bath and great people to deal with!

whitestone
    Free Member

@somafunk check out the comments on the Bearbones forums about the Cloud Cover. There’s also a review on that part of the site. Probably OK for your intended use.

MoreCashThanDash

If you are anywhere close enough to call in the Alpkit HQ they are really helpful. Went in with a mate to look at head torches, ended up test riding their carbon framed fat bike….. 😳

vdubber67
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Eastwood, Derbyshire, pop down to their HQ. The bargain box of ‘slightly wonky stitched’ backpacking bags is very reasonable!

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Has anyone got experience of the Cloud Cover quilt?, seems ok for £100, I’

I have and it’s a bit pants. I bought it to layer up my 2-season sleeping bag, and it would ok if it wasnt so bleeding slippery and its simple too small and not warm enough to use on its own. The poppers are really stiff and mine are threatening to tear through after only half a dozen uses.

somafunk

Cheers whitestone, i’ll check that out – got 3 days between xmas n’ new year in his house and i’m preparing myself already, got 6 bags of split oak that i’ve been drying all year so that’ll be coming with me in the argocat to keep me warm, a few years ago we got snowed in for 5 days and it ended up like a scene from some bleak eastern european movie by the time we dug ourselves out to his parents house down the valley.

Every year since i’ve wisely increased my comfort significantly and this year will be no exception. 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

@somafunk – might be worth looking out for a cheapish synthetic quilt in that case. Also worth upgrading your sleeping mat as that can add a season to a sleeping bag.

oliverracing

Great kit – used their frame bags almost exclusively on a recent Geneva to Nice trip – had a few off bike excursions and only put a small hole on a fork bag which was easily fixable with tape. Here they are after 18 days…

Which reminds me I still haven’t done a write-up for the trip.

RustySpanner

Love the Gourdon bags and the clothing.

If you like simple, light and usually well priced stuff that just works well, they are great.

Only duff item was the Gamma head torch, battery cover broke, just like everyone elses.

They are always decent to deal with and seem to really know their kit.

Not tried the biking stuff yet, but will be soon.

ernie67

First place I look if I need anything outdoorsy nowerdays . Good quality/value stuff & delivery is good too .

MoreCashThanDash

On a point of major importance, Eastwood is NOT in Derbyshire.

We wouldn’t want it even if you paid us!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

happy with everything ive bought off them so far, i would deffo reccomend em

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is there much else in their bargain bin? I work in Eastwood (which is definitely not Derbyshire, we have enough on our plate with Heanor and Ripley) and have meant to pop by for ages but don’t need any cycle touring bags

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit – any good’ is closed to new replies.