Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Alpine Talent Compensators?
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

OK, so I’m already planning next years trip and started to think about whether it makes sense to pick up a cheap(ish!) bike for Alpine duties.

My trusty old Patriot is getting a bit long in the tooth for hammering DH courses all day, and I’m not getting any younger either.

I’ve seen Specialized Bighit II on the web for around £1300 which doesn’t seem that bad.

A bike like this would get some use in the UK, but not much, and would essentially just be used for the alps each year.

Am I being bonkers or is there a better way of spending my dosh?

mboy
    Free Member

There are plenty of worse ways of spending your money, put it that way…

Personally I’d be inclined to find something 2nd hand as it’ll already have gone through the initial phases of getting scratched and losing half of its initial value… I bought a Giant Reign X0 almost 2 years ago, a year old, immaculate condition, for £850. It was a £2700 bike new! Perfect kind of bike for the job too, not an out and out DH bike, it’s still capable of being ridden on many UK trails too and even goes uphills ok.

In fact, having been to the Alps a number of times, I think I bought what is pretty much the ideal Alpine bike for me, given I’ve tried the beefed up XC bike, I’ve tried the full on DH bike, and decided I needed something inbetween. Only I haven’t had the opportunity (funds cos of a lack of job mainly) to get it out to the Alps since I got it!

I’d do it, but then friends of mine who spend all their money on beer, fags and football question why the hell I ride mountain bikes in the first place, let alone spend lots of money on them… 😉

mildred

I don’t think there’s anything wrong at all with doing this. Think of it along the lines of those who go out and spend a wedge on a snowboard or skis and all the kit for 1 – 2 weeks per year. You could use it it occasionally in the UK when the main ride is being repaired, or if you fancied an uplift day etc.

I’ve been going to the Alps for about 10 years now (exception of last year), and ever since my 1st trip on a beefed up xc bike I realised there is some merit in having the correct tool for the job. Yes, mildly beefing up the xc bike is adequate, and they cope far better than some people would have you believe, but there’s nothing quite like having something more gravity orientated, when you’re out there.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the best trails in the alps need more carrying/pushing/pedaling than you’d volunteer for with a bighit.

they’re great bikes – and you’ll love it when you’re pointing downhill, but…

cp

I’d be very tempted by one of these… I nearly did for my Swiss trip a couple of months ago!

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2265

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Oooooh, that Giant looks nice as well.

I do get the Push:Pedal argument but I have done this kind of thing in the past. I was once the proud owner of a Demo 8 and, to be brutally honest, it was at least as suitable for the Alps as an XC bike. The suitability came when pointing it down – which is pretty much what the Alps are for.

I could also pedal up a fair few hills as quickly as the XC riders!

I am tempted by the Bighit as the Demo was made of girders and great fun. But then that Giant does look good……

Hmmmmm. I need to ponder.

krag
    Free Member

My alps bike is a patriot, what’s wrong with your current bike?

mildred

This looks a good alternative to a big hit:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p1953

My alps bike is a patriot, what’s wrong with your current bike?

So how would that fulfil an urge to buy something new and shiny? 😉

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Its a pretty old Patriot. 2002. I’ve got a Z1Freeride 150mm fork up front but that is about all it’ll take and it’s very slack at that.

Knowing the difference between the Patriot (which for it’s age is really just a burly XC bike now) and the Demo – I’d just like something with more travel and a more aggressive geometry.

Other than that I love my Patriot. It is perfect for the UK.

allthegear
    Free Member

Thinking of letting my SC VP-Free go – it’s only partly shiny, though…

I’m not going to get to ride it until my slipped disc is better.

Rachel

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I couldn’t buy a girls bike!? That would be just wrong – wouldn’t it?

p.s. I hope your back gets better quickly.

allthegear
    Free Member

lol! It’s not pink!

chakaping
    Free Member

started to think about whether it makes sense to pick up a cheap(ish!) bike for Alpine duties.

Yes, it does.

Next question!

🙂

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

get an alpine 160 there great uphills 😛

5lab

does the big hit still have a 24″ rear wheel? if so I’d discount it purely because the braking bumps are a nightmare in the alps, and smaller wheels will make em worse to ride over.

allthegear
    Free Member

The braking bumps are only a nightmare if you brake on them. Brake after if you’re good or brake before if you’re like me. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, the newer ones were all 26″

Maybe a newer (pre alpine 160) patriot? It’s probably designed arround the height of your 150mm Z1’s so you can either buy a cheep manitou sprung one and bin them or sell the more expensive forks if it comes wit them and use the zocchis as its only 1 week a year.

Mintyjim

Buy my Santa Cruz Bullit in the classifieds!! 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

I hope it’s your mates leaving those charming tags and not internet strangers.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

The tags are fine (and accurate!).

I did own an Alpine 160 and hated it. The BB felt too low and I just could not get on with it at all. I think it was too small generally for me (16″ – the 18 felt too big).

Hmmm, a Bullit……

peakprowler
    Free Member

DrRSwank .. a Spesh Big Hit would be your ideal bike, plus you can fit a front mech & set it up 2 x 9 for climbing duties & they climb suprisingly well, I know, I have one & I live in the Peaks ……. infact it’s for sale & a lot cheaper than £1300 .. here ya go http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-one-must-go-intense-66-or-spesh-bighit-reduced

It’s minus forks at the moment as they went in the Intense I sold, but I could get another set or sell minus forks or frame only etc. Email me (in profile)if you need any info

ART

Rachel what size is that SantaCruz ?? 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

That Giant Reign X2 that cp linked to above… You would not regret buying it, trust me!

I’ve got a Reign X as I said above, mine’s the higher specced X0 version, but essentially they’re the same frame. Brilliant bit of kit, and eminently more “XC-able” than something like a Demo or a Bighit. I’ve ridden mine (albeit with a lighter build than the one on Pauls cycles by probably 4lb or so) round Cwm Carn, Afan, local rides, even Cannock Chase (talk about over biked, but I got round fine). It’s great, especially at Afan where the extra travel and beef allowed me to really hammer the black section on Whites Level.

Personally, I’d buy 2nd hand if possible cos you’ll save even more money, but at £1100 brand new, that Reign X2 is a steal. And it’s very worthwhile upgrading too, especially as the frame is soooooo good. In fact the newer Reign X frames differ only in construction to save about a lb in weight, the Geometry is exactly the same on it too.

They are highly under-rated bikes, having lived in the shadow of the Specialized SX for most people as it was better looking and Specialized is a “cooler” brand. The Giant is probably the more allround capable bike, I’ve known people to race them DH too, and for the UK with a single ring and a 180mm fork up front, it would probably be a perfect DH bike for shorter, less rough courses.

Hmmm, a Bullit……

Had one, rated it for a while, until I rode something longer, stiffer and lower… The Bullit is too high, too short and too steep IMO. Back in about 2002 they were the mutts nuts, things have moved on quite a bit since then. Geometry makes a big difference, and I’m a lot happier on my Reign X with about an extra 2.5″ in the wheelbase (for the same size bike), lower BB height, slacker head angle and steeper seat angle (which makes pedalling the thing easier) than I was on the Bullit.

Mintyjim

Piffle! http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-avid-brakes-marzocchi-160mm-bombers-2010-santa-cruz-bullit-am-wheels is where it’s all at!!
    I’ve got a -2deg Works Component headset to go on the frame, that reduces the HA nicely, and I spanked my mate on his Orange Alpine at Cwmcarn. On technical sections of trails it’s great.

Seriously, it’s all horses for courses really!

Tracey

Kevin had a Specialized SX Trail just for the Alps, good on the ups and awesome on the downs, you could get a good secondhand one for a lot less than the Big Hit. Only sold his as he wont be going with us to the Alps next year and didnt want it gathering dust for two years.

Saying that, Abigale was also flying on her Reign

mboy
    Free Member

mintyjim, in the same way that Steve Peat could kick my arse on a rigid bike with semi slicks on it, I’m sure you’re a better rider than your mate on his Alpine… Talent still accounts for about 98% of why we’re quick, or not as the case may be!

crackhead
    Free Member

I have an sx trail for sale in classifieds, check it out…

Mintyjim

mboy – I know, I’m just trying to sell on my immaculate frame after buying a Big Hit!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Talent Compensators?’ is closed to new replies.