Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Alpine riders experiences of schwalbe superGravity
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

I’m off racing to the alps. Don’t get much exposure to them, but when I do invariably it’s uplifted and gravity fed so I’ve always used dualply, which has given a certain protection from puncturing.

Question is: has any of your guys tried hans Dampf supergravity over there and was the puncture protection sufficient?

Fwiw I tried using singleply maxxis HR2 and Nobby NIC evo and they both got shredded last yr.

twohats
    Free Member

Ran them last year, very good, no flats though running them tubeless. They did ingest a 2″ nail on the last day but still held air.
    Ran them at 20psi front and rear

twelveski
    Free Member

Used them on the Trans Savoie last year.
    Front was great with no punctures.
    Rear, I got through two tyre’s and punctured on the last day as the tread had torn off in places.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Having experienced the trails and have an idea of dirt to rock ratio, would you say they are the right choice or would you plump for a faster rolling rear (rock razer?)

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Double post :/

hugh_b
    Free Member

Didn’t find the Super Gravity’s that good last year in Les Arcs. A friend punctured on the first run of the first day but was good for the rest of the week. I slashed a sidewall on the rear just as a thunder storm started which wasn’t ideal. Had to use a “dog turd” puncture repair kit but that did hold for the week impressively.

They are a good compromise of weight and strength if you’ve got to pedal up as-well but i’ll be going dual ply this year as it’s not worth it if using the lifts!

Northwind

Feller was using supergravity hans dampfs with us last year, I think- wear rate was orrible, and like most square-edgy skwabblys the grip drops off once the blocks wear. They were fresh on for the holiday and the rear looked done by the wednesday.

For whatever it’s worth I was using a Butcher DH on the front (for the sticky compound) and a Butcher SX on the back, worked really well though maybe not the best in the dust that was everywhere. I pretty well mangled a rim but didn’t flat in the process, which was nice. I’m not generally a dualply sort of dude, I like the SX carcass, it’s kind of Specialized’s equivalent to supergravity. Most guides’ bikes seem to have highrollers or minions, dualplies or ust.

maxtorque

How much do you weigh?

Can you brake without locking your wheels up?

How gnar are you?

If you answer, less than 85kg & Yes & Fairly, but not world level, then i think HD’s super gravity are a good choice. If i were doing just purely uplifted stuff on a proper big (200mm big) bike, then i still think you can’t beat proper DH tyres. But, for everything else, and making an AM bike reasonably resilient then they seem like a good choice. I put a pair on for the Alps last year (Les Arcs) and when i got home couldn’t actually be bothered to swap them off, and so far, they have actually lasted reasonably well, with the nobs just starting to show significant wear (i think i’m pretty light on a bike mind you, being a <70kg racing snake who prefers to hop stuff rather than just batter into it…… 😉

jamesfts
    Free Member

Is there a big difference in weight/rolling resistance between these supergravity tyres and the usual Evo/Snakeskin jobs?

I like Schwalbes but find I’m killing sidewalls before getting through the tread when used for agressive xc/general thrashing so wondering if they might be an option…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Alpine riders experiences of schwalbe superGravity’ is closed to new replies.