Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpine Link For Marin Attack
  • derek123
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking for an Alpine Link for a friends Marin attack, I’ve tried lots of dealers, checked ebay and also spoke with the old makers but with no success, I did find a thread that was a year old on here where a “Jamie Porter” was going to make a batch, just wondering if anyone knows of someone making them or maybe has one sitting in a draw.
    Thanks

Derek

z1ppy

Trouble is, that it made the frame feel a lot better, so if you have one & use the bike your unlikely to want to sell. Also going from those Jamie thread IIRC, there more than one type of link.

docrobster
    Free Member

Were these alpine links ever fitted as standard? If so from what year? Does anyone know? I’m sure I read of geom changes between 2005-6. I have a 2006 frame which does have a pretty high bb (365mm )
    Am I right in thinking the alpine link was supposed to drop the bb a bit and slacken the ha, same sort of effect as offset bushes? Would that be an easier option?

derek123
    Free Member

Hi z1ppy

You seem to be an active forum user, have you seen any posts from that guy who was making them

Also docrobster
    Do you have any links to these alternative bushes for info.
    Cheers lots.

z1ppy

Derek,
    Are you aware that if you click on the “member” next to the forum name, it brings up their posting history and details (eg: email). I’m not particular cognisant of “porter_jamie” (there loads of ppl on here after all & no doubt they’d say the same of me), but he’s active on here & his email is in his profile. Drop him a email & ask

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Hi Derek
    I have one that I bought for my Attack Trail. I fitted it. It then removed it without use as I was about to change my bike. They were quite expensive in the day! It’s in it’s original box and as new. PM me with an offer if I retested. John

docrobster
    Free Member

Hi Derek
    What year is the bike in question?
    Offset bushes have been discussed at length on here.
    They are available from lots of suppliers
    This seems the cheapest place
    Goldtec and TFT also sell them.
    They lower the BB height by up to 1/2 an inch and slacken the HA by a degree or so. You can get them to fit any bike if you know the measurements for your shock hardware.
    Use this guide to work out what you need
    As the alpine link appears to be rarer than unicorn hair nowadays, this might be the best option.
    There can be clearance issues- if you search for some of the threads on offset bushes on here you will find it all explained!
    These bikes do have a high BB compared to modern frames so lowering it is a good idea.
    My bike is a 2006 model and this review[quote]Changes over last year are immediately noticeable, with less tip toeing needed to get into the lower saddle. Dropping the bottom bracket forward and down also removes the precarious ‘teetering’ feel of last year’s bikes.[/quote]and the third from last comment on this thread

you can see why they are fitted standard on the 06 bikes now.

Make me think that the standard link was changed to the alpine link for that year, but having measured my BB at 365mm (140mm pikes) it is still on the high side so either the 06 bikes are the same as 04-05 or the earlier bikes had even higher BBs. the teetering feeling is still there!
    Good luck sorting your friend’s bike out- I saw on your wtd ad that someone reckoned jejames in chesterfield had an alpine link- did you find out? Or I see john above has offered one

derek123
    Free Member

Hi John

I’m new to forums, how do I pm you???##Thanks for the help guys.
    🙂

derek123
    Free Member

Hi docrobster

the bike is 04, it has a high bottom bracket as well, but all that info is out of my technical know how.

Thanks though for your advise. Much appreciated.

Derek

And to Z1ppy too.

docrobster
    Free Member

Just to update this thread.
    Fitted offset bushes to my 06 marin today.
    Dropped bb height by 15mm to 350mm according to my tape measure. Seat and head angles appear unchanged.
    Cheap way to access “modern” geometry.
    With a 140mm fork and 1 degree slack set the HA is 67.
    Will see if it rides any differently tomorrow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Link For Marin Attack’ is closed to new replies.